MADISON SCOUTS..Out of Gas..Down for the Count

I'll agree that the arrangements are a little "un-Boermalike" to me, upon listening to the show. There just seems to be too much of a jumpy, choppy feel to it.

Of course, when you try to incorporate Carmen, West Side Story, Malaguena and everything else but the kitchen sink, I guess that happens. However, the Scouts are being rewarded for it score-wise this year, so I guess it's probably a safe bet that we'll see these same type of charts next year :)

I cant speak about any top 6 shows other than Madison and Phantoms. But Phantoms show is most certainly not as hard as Scouts. 

I don't know if PR's show was more difficult, but based on what I saw Monday night, I'd certainly have to say that it is more entertaining and better performed (my opinion, of course). And louder. And PR certainly makes *MUCH* more effective use of their "visual soloist." I also agree that Scouts' arrangements are way too "hack 'n' slash" this season ... while most other top-twelve corps seem to be moving in the other direction ...

I just wanted to say that I don't care what score they get, what place they take or what their show is. They are the Madison Scouts and they are proud of their show. I don't appreciate everyone bashing all the hard work these boys (and girl) have put in to have an enjoyable time this summer all for the "fans".  My brother, Joey, plays the soprano this year and it seems to me like they're just proud they are where they are this year. Why can't we just be proud of that. Who cares about hype and how it did or didn't end up the way people expected. What happened to just enjoying the show. There's so much pressure on these musicians to get high scores. *Cheers to all the people out there who ever worked their butts off during a summer for drum corps*.

Heather

Heather (aka, cuppycakes)

It is commendable that you feel the need to defend your own flesh and blood. But really now, "bashing all the hard work"? Maybe you are referring to a different message board. Do you want to only imagine you read certain things or have you not read all of the praise for what the Scouts have accomplished this year? If you are saying that we should not discuss the merits of the Scouts history, philosophy, program, competition so on and so forth but rather we all hold hands and sing kum-bi-ya. Count me out! You want to talk about pride and accomplishment then amen sister! And by the way, I did work my but off, but now; most of it seems to have returned.

Sincerely,

Madsop75

scouts show rocks my socks off this year as they do every year. they're back in old form and will push to the end through this red light. you can bet they'll be smokin in boston and the guys +1 are gonna make sure they get the most out of this show. standin behind em and will til the end :)

"Hard things are put in our way, not to stop us, but to call out our courage and strength."

-anonymous

This past week has been a real "gut-check" for the guys...things aren't going their way, but then again, I have yet to see a performance like they laid out in Indy. The performance level just hasn't been as high in the past several shows. It has been a very trying several days for all involved. I'm hoping for a renewed performance level tomorrow night and throughout the next week. If that happens, Madison should be sitting firmly in 5th and possibly pushing for 4th or higher. We shall see...it's not going to be a cakewalk, but it CAN be done...

This past week has been a real "gut-check" for the guys...things aren't going their way, but then again, I have yet to see a performance like they laid out in Indy.  The performance level just hasn't been as high in the past several shows.  It has been a very trying several days for all involved.  I'm hoping for a renewed performance level tomorrow night and throughout the next week.  If that happens, Madison should be sitting firmly in 5th and possibly pushing for 4th or higher.  We shall see...it's not going to be a cakewalk, but it CAN be done...

BigBadMadMan,

Your points are well taken and if you are currently on tour as the equipment driver you have a front row seat on the day to day activities that the rest of us can only speculate on. I have some questions that I'm sure many others are wondering about. Such as, when I marched it was practically unheard of to do much in the way of changes this point in the season. Sure, maybe some tweaking but nothing major to "mess with our heads". Is there word of rewrites or just minor fare? The 64 thousand dollar question, what about the ending? Is there talk about the lack of crowd response? Is there any work on the over all continuity of the show to address the "cut and paste" choppiness or segmentation? Has the guard been given any further equipment work or will they remain primarily dancers? If you feel that you cannot talk via this forum would you feel better giving out your email address and I will email you personally with the guarantee of anonymity and not to post in kind? (If you can’t trust a brother, who can you trust?)

Also, I'm curious as to the overall state of mind of the guys. Whets the talk, is everyone pretty positive?

Sincerely,

Madsop75

.......Is it that Madison hasn't found the formula to compete for the top prize? Or is it that Madison of 2005 isn't doing the shows of the Madison of another era?

The distinction is important because if it's the latter you want, the former isn't possible.

Sorry to chop up your post..but I respectfully but completely disagree with the above comments. I do think there is a balance to be found drawing on both "schools of thought"..they've just not found it yet; and in my opinion won't with the current staff. The staff is quite talented ( ie. drum staff ), but with the possible exception of Sal, they just dont' seem to be able to sell the emotion and gut reaction that we used to have. The product this year- while good and certainly proficient- is just simply not something that moves people emotionally. They just don't have that audience connection like we use to. The current staff knows how to put a sleek well oilled product on the field and clean the heck out of it. What they dont' have is the ability to truly understand the intangibles of being a part of our brotherhood- that translates on the field to fans. "The shows of the Madison of another era"...listen to them again..75, 82, 84, 97 to name a few. They were strong well thought out competitive productions that also just blew your mind and MADE YOU FEEL! I've seen this years show very recently. Clean? yes. Loud? yes. But it just left me thinking something was missing. I realized what it is today..the show just does not have the " Scout aura" I've come to love so much. It is not a show that is unique to us...a show that you can't see another corps doing. I chalk that up to a staff who as I've said elswhere seems to be more of a bunch of "hired guns" vs. someone who truly thinks being a Scout is something amazing.

These are my feelings..I'm sure plenty of you think I'm full of it. To be honest I dont' really care. I have my reasons which are very personal and probably not what most folks would think of for me feeling the way I do. I'm proud - very VERY proud- of what my brothers have been able to do with the vehicle given to them. They are performing the heck out of it. I'm just not sold on what "it" is.

CM

Is there any work on the over all continuity of the show to address the "cut and paste" choppiness or segmentation? 

I'll admit that I was definitely hoping for a little more straight-ahead music from Carmen ...