I'm calling it right now...

If Regiment does not get within 1.9 of Cadets tonight, then they will likely stay in the 3-5 range and not move up.

I think anything over 2 points will basically tell us the story.

And you know what....I could care less. Just listening to this show on the APD is pure heaven. This is the kind of show that comes along only every few years, from ANY corps.

It has demand, it's entertaining...the haters will hate, and those that are rooting for their own corps can hardly be expected to like this show considering that they are either competing against it, have family or friends competing against it, or are alumni of corps competing against it.

But, much like Star 1993 in my case, I think years from now people will look back once the "competition blinders" are removed and realize that this show DOES have just as much demand as the Cadets and the Cavaliers. Now...can they PERFORM it to the lofty standards set by those "top two?" We'll see.

Regardless...this show rocks and has put its own stamp on Regiment history. Congratulations to all members of the 2005 Regiment and its staff. Job extremely well done.

Edited by Tsar Nikk

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nikk,

This is my favorite Regiment show in quite some time. Loved it live, love the APD, love the trumpet section. Might be the best trumpet/sop section they ever had.

That horn book is hard, swing, to straight. A bunch of different changes in musical mood. Ensemble work that is pure ####. Yeah it is up there with Cavies and Cadets but people don't see the visual wow that those two have. However, this is good drill.

Edited by bssop97

Nikk,

This is my favorite Regiment show in quite some time. Loved it live, love the APD, love the trumpet section. Might be the best trumpet/sop section they ever had.

That horn book is hard, swing, to straight. A bunch of different changes in musical mood. Ensemble work that is pure ####.  Yeah it is up there with Cavies and Cadets but people don't see the visual wow that those two have. However, this is good drill.

I gotta tell you...as a drill writer myself, though certainly not on par with Thompson, Sacktig, or Gaines....I just don't see the "wow" factor in some shows. For example, with Cadets...granted, I saw them early, so I bet they have changed a lot since the Orlando show. But it seemed to me that a lot of the "wow" factor was dependant on speed.

I need more than just speed to wow me, but that is just me. Certainly not taking anything away from the Cadets or Cavaliers...but I want to have both speed AND clear, discernible forms that are nice "snapshot moments." I want things to be innovative and tricky.

In this regard, Regiment probably doesn't move as fast as the other corps, but...from what little I have seen on the streaming videos, this is probably their best drill since...I dunno...1993? 1994?

1994. :)

I gotta tell you...as a drill writer myself, though certainly not on par with Thompson, Sacktig, or Gaines....I just don't see the "wow" factor in some shows.  For example, with Cadets...granted, I saw them early, so I bet they have changed a lot since the Orlando show.  But it seemed to me that a lot of the "wow" factor was dependant on speed.

I need more than just speed to wow me, but that is just me.  Certainly not taking anything away from the Cadets or Cavaliers...but I want to have both speed AND clear, discernible forms that are nice "snapshot moments."  I want things to be innovative and tricky. 

In this regard, Regiment probably doesn't move as fast as the other corps, but...from what little I have seen on the streaming videos, this is probably their best drill since...I dunno...1993?  1994?

I gotta tell you...as a drill writer myself, though certainly not on par with Thompson, Sacktig, or Gaines....I just don't see the "wow" factor in some shows. 

I never would've guessed last fall that I would:

1. be cheering Phantom on to a possible third place or higher finish

2. be loving their repertoire selection as much as I have

While I agree that I don't recall many "wow" factors in 2005 Cadets drill-wise, what I have seen of the Cavies opener is nothing but "wow." I think the Cadets "wow" stuff comes from theatrics, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Tsar Nikk Posted Today, 09:50 PM

If Regiment does not get within 1.9 of Cadets tonight, then they will likely stay in the 3-5 range and not move up.

I think anything over 2 points will basically tell us the story.

Nikk, looking at Allentown's panel it appears void of people having former ties to Phantom Regiment. Tonight PR may get everyone's idea of a fair assessment and without prejudice (pro or con). The only possible exception -- and this is really a stretch -- is one judge who sometimes has been thought of as being too conservative in rewarding PR's excellence. Besides, she may get so distracted watching the guy in the guard that she thinks it's another corps. :blink:

SUTA!

Nikk, looking at Allentown's panel it appears void of people having former ties to Phantom Regiment. Tonight PR may get everyone's idea of a fair assessment and without prejudice (pro or con). The only possible exception -- and this is really a stretch -- is one judge who sometimes has been thought of as being too conservative in rewarding PR's excellence. Besides, she may get so distracted watching the guy in the guard that she thinks it's another corps. :blink:

SUTA!

Phan Doris...is it one of the Czapinski's? ^0^

I gotta tell you...as a drill writer myself, though certainly not on par with Thompson, Sacktig, or Gaines....I just don't see the "wow" factor in some shows.  For example, with Cadets...granted, I saw them early, so I bet they have changed a lot since the Orlando show.  But it seemed to me that a lot of the "wow" factor was dependant on speed.

I need more than just speed to wow me, but that is just me.  Certainly not taking anything away from the Cadets or Cavaliers...but I want to have both speed AND clear, discernible forms that are nice "snapshot moments."  I want things to be innovative and tricky. 

In this regard, Regiment probably doesn't move as fast as the other corps, but...from what little I have seen on the streaming videos, this is probably their best drill since...I dunno...1993?  1994?

I said in my review it was their best drill since 96 (which I like a good bit). They covered the field quite well.

As far as Cavies and Cadets. Cadets drill is all about speed. The coverage isn't to great, seem to be inside the 20's and there is A LOT of 2 step interval throughout the show. It's not bad drill, just no Sacktigs best IMO. He writes good drill for the drumline though, they have about the same step size the whole show, and they just got that size in brain and they can focus on tempo.

Cavies have some nice moves but as far as Gaines drill goes, less of it. However, he put the guard in his drill very well.

I'll be quite honest.. I am a devout Cavaliers fan.. obviously marching there last year has something to do with that.. but in all honesty... the Phantom Regiment has my heart this year. I truly thought this show would be a bust when they announced it back in the winter... I mean come on.. Regiment playing GERSHWIN? Yea right...

YEA.. RIGHT! They owned it.. through and through.. I still love the Cavaliers show... even like the Cadets show.. but wow.. Phantom... keep it up.. as high as you can go! :-D

w/Stp:

What he said. I'm right with you.