2005 Semi-Finals Review

Every year for the past several years, my family and I have posted our review of one of the shows from Championships. We try to limit our review to just a few overall comments about each corps. I do not edit my wife or daughter’s comments, and I ask for their comments before I say anything.

To put a frame of reference behind the comments, the following are our drum corps backgrounds: I marched from 1978 to 1988, and have been to Championships every year since 1978. My wife never marched, and she is completely deaf. She has been to Championships in 1991, and every year since 1993. My daughter is 13, has been to Championships every year since 1996, she plays the trumpet, and is very involved in dance.

Seattle Cascades - 78.1

He Said: They seemed to be trying too hard today. There were a lot of horns sticking out of the ensemble and tone quality issues. At the end of the show, a plane flew overhead - a perfect unplanned touch to end off the show.

She Said: It was a nice presentation, but I really thought the plane flying overhead at the end was funny. They really need to work on their dancing. My daughter's dance lines are much better than their guard.

And the Teen Said: Their dancing was horrible. The drill was pretty good. The flags were pretty, and the idea of the airplane with the shapes was pretty cool - it just didn't work out that good. The voice over was horrible.

Mandarins - 78.1

He Said: Another great production from this group. There were a few intonation problems with the brass tonight, and the guard was not all that together. Their performance was controlled and emotional, and they should move up tonight.

She Said: I really liked the theme, but the colors selected didn't really fit the theme very well. The color guard was not together.

And the Teen Said: The color guard was not really together. The flags were really pretty, and I liked the quite ending. The drum line was pretty good too.

Southwind - 80.95

He Said: What a wonderful program, and a great performance tonight. The percussion feature (while not entirely clean) was very entertaining. They really stepped up the performance tonight, and they should move up.

She Said: I liked the look of the flags - they were very nice and had a nice impact. The theme didn't really do anything for me, and their hats were really odd.

And the Teen Said: I loved the uniforms, and their hats are so twisted. Most of the time the guard was together. I love the beginning and the end of their show. The drill is really really cool, and the music really fits the show. They are one of my favorites this year.

Capital Regiment - 81.4

He Said: I think they bit off more than they can chew with the design of this show. Tonight, there were tone quality issues throughout the entire show. I don't know what the judges are listening to, but it's not the same thing I am. Their mellophone soloist is excellent. They should drop behind Southwind tonight.

She Said: What's with the sun dial? And what was it's purpose? They just kept moving it across the field. This was just a boring show.

And the Teen Said: I liked the sun dial idea and the different color dress that the girl in the guard wore. They have a good horn line, cool drill, and good guard.

Colts - 84.075

He Said: The post cards were gone tonight. They had a very strong show - much better than last night. If Bones doesn't nail their show, they should move up a place.

She Said: They have a nice program, they were really good, and I enjoyed their show. My only compliant was the flag design. The color choices do not match well, and the flag designs themselves were rather primative looking - the "Red Pony" flags looked like watermellons.

And the Teen Said: The guard was really good. They have a nice show and had a good energy level tonight.

Crossmen - 84.05

He Said: They did not have a very good show tonight. There were a lot of guard drops, dirty visual, and a minor contra train wreck in the opener. The musical book was relatively easy, and the pit spent way too much time trying to get the audience to clap along with the music. They should drop a place tonight.

She Said: They were just plain dirty. The show doesn't do anything for me. Visually, they were very unappealing. Sad to say, cuz I usually love this corps.

And the Teen Said: There were a lot fo silly mistakes in the guard. The dancing and the soloists were really good.

Spirit - 85.75

He Said: They had a rough show tonight. The horn line sounded ragged several times. One of the soloists cracked, and really showed his personal disgust - slumped over shoulders, meandering back to his place in the drill afterwards, etc. Bad form young man. They present no challenge to any of the other corps this evening, and are perhaps one of the weakest 12th place corps we have seen in a number of years.

She Said: They are OK. There was nothing that really stood out to me. I liked the Colts a lot better.

And the Teen Said: It's cool how they have the play bills from the different Broadway shows. I liked the music - especially the music from Phantom of the Opera and the jazzy number.

Glassmen - 87.775

He Said: Their opener was tentative tonight, but the rest of the show was rock solid. I really like this show - especially the closer. All sections were strong. I just wish the drill would have a wow moment or two. The flow of the drill is great, but it just needs that visual kick to take the musical impacts over the top.

She Said: They were very good. I really liked their color choices and how they were integrated into the show. The overall show was just beautiful. It has a wonderful flow to it.

And the Teen Said: I liked the colors in the guard uniforms and flags. The whole entire show is just awesome. I love it a lot! I liked the jazzy closer too. It really cooked. This is one of my favorite shows.

Blue Knights - 87.875

He Said: They have a really nice brass sound - too bad they don't have a brass book to really show it off. The percussion writing at the beginning of the show was so rudimentary. I wish they would have played some actual music, rather than that "original" music. It just didn't do anything for me (or most others too judging by the crowd reaction to the show). The drill however, was really cool. I did enjoy seeing the symetrical drill. It was actually a refreshing change compared to the other corps on the field.

She Said: They had a very nice visual program. The color guard costumes were very unflattering - skirts would have looked much better. They had some really neat formations in the drill.

And the Teen Said: The color guard costumes fit the theme really well, and the flags were really cool. Whoever made them did a really good job. Overall, they perform their show really well - it's just kind of boring.

Santa Clara vanguard - 88.05

He Said: They were much better tonight. There was a lot more energy and emotion, and they connected better with the audience. The guard executed much better tonight as well. While there are some design flaws and a rather dated visual program, I don't think their other captions are earning the scores they deserve. I think they should be placed higher than Boston.

She Said: I just love them. I wish they had 1 to 2 weeks more to clean up - they would be in the top 5. The color guard is great!

And the Teen Said: Visually, they are a bit messy, but the guard work and drum line "kick some serious a@#."

Carolina Crown - 91.125

He Said: Holy cow did they come to play! Crown really took it up a notch tonight with a very powerful and well executed show. I really love this program. This design team has put together another fantastic program, and the kids are performing the snot out of it. They should move up tonight.

She Said: They have a very good presentation, and were much better than last night. Their score should be much better tongiht.

And the Teen Said: Very, very powerful tonight. The drill was pretty cool and the guard work was immaculate. The whole angel theme - sweet.

Boston Crusaders - 89.75

He Said: They had a very emotional performance tonight - but the quality suffered as a result. The horn line tone quality was bright and borderline crass at times. I hate the arrangement of Candide - or should I say overarrangement of it. All of the demand is in the pit, and it's so choppy. They should drop a place (or two if the judges are fair) tonight.

She Said: They were really boring - Yawn.

And the Teen Said: The flags are so cool, and I really like the way they arrange the colors. Towards the end of the show, the drill became less boring.

Bluecoats - 92.6

He Said: They had a great show tonight - a big step up from last night. Fantastic hornline, tasty percussion book, and awesome guard, with a good drill to boot. This is perhaps my favorite show from the Bluecoats to date.

She Said: They have a great visual show, and it's really entertaining to watch. It was definitely deserving of the crowds reaction. Nice color choices for the flags. I like them better than Madison (and I never thought I'd be saying that!).

And the Teen Said: This performance was so powerful! This is probably one of the best shows I've seen from BLUUUEEEEE.

Madison Scouts - 92.6

He Said: They were much better tonight, taking their performance up a notch. The end of the show still needs something more - the current ending just doesn't do the show justice. Cessario promised a surprise for tomorrow - perhaps a better/different/new/something ending???

She Said: It was very cool to have a girl on board with the Scouts! They have a really exiciting show - I loved it!

And the Teen Said: I love how Madison has a girl now! I love the drill and the horn line. They are AWESOME!! But why didn't they enter the field in a big line like they used to?

Blue Devils - 94.55

He Said: No better or worse than yesterday. Overall, I find this show distasteful. There is not much music (meaning actual meodies and hormonies), the lack of guard work during close to a third of the show is disturbing, the drill is seriously flawed and lacking in difficulty compared to the top 6. This is the worst designed BD show I have ever seen. The design staff should be taken behind the woodshed for a good beating over this debacle. Better yet, how about a public flogging?

She Said: I see no logic in doing a show backwards, starting with the dance champions. There is simply no visual appeal to this show either. Crowd reaction was not very strong - you can tell why.

And the Teen Said: They're really good, but their show isn't that good. The show is a neat idea, but it doesn't really work on the field - especially with the color guard doing a dance derby. And someone please get rid of the voice over! YOWZA! YOWZA! YOWZA!

Phantom Regiment - 96.075

He Said: Phan-phreaking-tastic! This is my favorite show of the year, hands down! They had a wail of a performance tonight, and should move up scorewise (if not placement wise). Regardless of the final placement, you are Champions in my mind.

She Said: Visual eye candy! WOW! I love the orange flags!

And the Teen Said: This is my most favorite show this year! I mean look at those different costumes, those flags, those umbrellas, that amazing horn line, and awesome drill! NO WONDER THEY ARE MY FAVORITE!!!

Cavaliers - 97.375

He Said: They were much better tonight. The opener was not as tentative as last night, but I still think have something more in them. If they deliver, they can win.

She Said: I don't really like the color guard uniforms - they make the guys look like girls. Otherwise, they have a great program. I thought the ladders had a very interesting effect.

And the Teen Said: I love this show! During the part in the Chicago fire with the ladders, the flags fit perfectly! That horn line is gnarly! I hope they win, cuz they just rock!

Cadets - 98.125

He Said: I didn't think they were as good tonight. The energy level and emotion just was there like it was last night. After several viewings, this show has grown on me, but I am still torn. When simply listening to the show, I must admit that I really enjoy it. But when I watch it, something happens that just takes away from the enjoyment.

She Said: The door is just in the way all the time, and it's a distraction. I really liked the reverse uniform idea. They really have to control their bodies when they are marching to keep the appropriate side showing front, and it's a really cool effect.

And the Teen Said: This show was sooo weird, but it's really good. When they turn around and the uniforms are different, it's really cool. And the color guard is smoking. I like the sound effects and the twilight zone music.

Overall, a great show. There was no fight for top 12 at all this year, which didn't make for much drama. But there was quite a fight for semi-finals. I would love to see how things would have finished if the Div II/III corps competed in Quarterfinals. If that were to happen, I think there just might be 3 or 4 Div I corps out of Semi-Finals. I wish DCI could figure out some way of having all corps compete in Quarterfinals to determine the Top 25 again. I have a feeling there would be a dramtic shift in the competitive landscape if they did.

I told Jan you'd posted your annual review, and she got out of bed to read it. Always enjoy it. Please post it on the "other" drum corps newsgroup, too.

Thanks again, and we'll be looking forward to reading it next year, too.

Garry

PS I can't believe your daughter is 13 now!!! To think she was only 4 at that first championship of hers!

Great review. I love the contrasting comments!

Overall, a great show.  There was no fight for top 12 at all this year, which didn't make for much drama.  But there was quite a fight for semi-finals.  I would love to see how things would have finished if the Div II/III corps competed in Quarterfinals.  If that were to happen, I think there just might be 3 or 4 Div I corps out of Semi-Finals.  I wish DCI could figure out some way of having all corps compete in Quarterfinals to determine the Top 25 again.  I have a feeling there would be a dramtic shift in the competitive landscape if they did.

Interesting idea. . . .

Awesome review! Thanks for taking the time. You (all 3) obviously have a great handle on what this activity is all about. :)

I thought that BD had no energy from step off to the end of the show. The show had no life to it.

My favorite shows of the night were Regiment, Southwind, and Crown.

Wow Crown, what a heck of a show...they brought their very best on Friday night.

Colts - 84.075

He Said: The post cards were gone tonight.

According to this article, it sounds like they were irreparably broken in transit; such a tough break for them: Colts bid bittersweet goodbye as “The Postcards” are mailed home