Where is Eklipse?

I think it was two years ago I saw at DeKalb a first-year corps from Kentucky named Eklipse. They put on an amazing show - you'd never have guessed they were in their first year. But I haven't seen them around the last couple of years. Does anyone know what happened to this corps?

Last thing that I heard (and not really from a reliable source, but take it for what its worth), is that they are planning a return in 2006 and might be moving the corps to Evansville, IN to stir up more local recruits.

I do agree though. I was also at DeKalb that year and they had to go on first because they were 'new'. I was quite impressed and hope that they make a speedy return.

John Fischer

THanks for the very kind words. THis is the scoop from the horses mouth...so to speak. Eklipse is is slowing down to make a solid effort at being a finanacially stable and healthy organization. I started a bingo hall and thought "Hey this si all I have to do...just be smart with my money and we can have a corps along with all of my winter programs." Well when I went to build the corps I kept on coming up with huge numbers for us to be healthy and give the kids their experience they would want. I was looking at having fees of over $1,500 to make things work. I just couldn't see a viable option so I called it quits in December of this past year. It is still the biggest dream of my life to someday run a corps again. We came home after our first year out with money in the bank and kids that loved what they went through...but luck did not smile on us for a second year. I have been thinking on contacting some of our surrounding corps and offering some kind of regional idea...sort of a Boston and Florida connection but a lot closer to home. If there is a good businessman out there that lives close to Kentucky and wants to help look at a plan and help Eklipse to someday be able to return to the field...please feel free to contact me.

Thanks again for the kind words

Brad Deason

Executive Director

Eklipse Youth Organization Inc.

p.s. The group in Evansville is being started up by a protege of mine named Joe Kerr. The group is called Hypnotix and will begin as a colorguard unit and maybe turn into a drum corps one day....wish him luck everyone.

• 3 weeks later...

More from the "horse's mouth" .... at least about Hypnotix.

Hypnotix is coming out with a Winter Guard for the 05-06 season. It will be based out of Indianapolis.

And Hypnotix will field a Div 3 drum corps in 2006 and be based in Evansville, IN. We have everything in place. Financing for the drums and bugles (to be ordered this week), uniforms, and a tremendous staff.

We need a bit more staff to fill some key positions yet. But for the most part we are ready. We have a show written and planned. We fully expect to put 65-70 kids on the field in 2006 -- without a Bingo hall and with fees under $1000.

The drum corps world is a amazing collecting of wonderful people. Many, many talented people have volunteered their time to make Hypnotix a reality. We are doing it on volunteer staff (or very low paid staff). Some extraordinarily talented people have come forward to help.

Drum corps people -- people by and far of outstanding character.

One can learn much from what has happened to some corps. Take CoH --- many lessons to be learned from that failure. Memphis Sound and Impulse -- lots can be learned from a positive end.

Joe Kerr, the exective director (I serve as the Assist Corps Director) did learn from his time with Brad at Eklipse. But he has also learned much from many other sources and has the drive, integrity, and wisdom that has produced results and made things happen.

Joe is a smart man, and also knows the value of having great staff around him and using their skills and knowledge to its fullest.

Hypnotix is more than just a corps coming out "one day." 2006 is the year. Feel free to check us out at www.hypnotix.org Do more than wish us luck -- if you have some skills you might like to donate let us know!

Jim

Awesome stuff, awesome...

Good luck to Hypnotix and hurry back Eklipse. :)

I know the bass tech, Kellet, from Hypnotix. Can't wait to see them.

and I REALLY hope Eklipse makes a quick return.

~>conner

• 4 weeks later...

The very best to both corps, and look forward to seeing you on the field!!

Michael

i like new corps

Nice to have some support :)

I doubt we will see Eklipse in the near -- or even distant future. I do believe their plan is to stick with the winter guard. They don't have the equipment, etc. they need to put a corps on the field.

But we have new Kanstul horns, new Dynasty percussion and front ensemble equipment, some fantastic used uniforms, and a bunch of kids ready to go.

See you in 2006

Jim