Bluecoats

Not sure, but I think the OP may have been referring to the

fact that many of the members are from Texas. Bluecoats

holds rehersals (in the Dallas area, I believe) for those

members from Texas and the surrounding areas as well as

their regular camps in the northeast Ohio area.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sky Ryders for many years was based out of Hutchinson, Kansas.

This thread is stupid.

Sky Ryders relocated from Hutchinson, KS to Desoto, TX in 1990. Technically, they WERE a Texas corps when they made finals in 1991. Nearly every corps fields membership from Texas, which makes it perplexing that a successful "dynasty" hasn't flourished. If someone with Bill Cook resources ever starts a corps in DFW - WATCH OUT. :)

Edited by OKTrpt

Sky Ryders relocated from Hutchinson, KS to Desoto, TX in 1990. Technically, they WERE a Texas corps when they made finals in 1991. Nearly every corps fields membership from Texas, which makes it perplexing that a successful "dynasty" hasn't flourished. If someone with Bill Cook resources ever starts a corps in DFW - WATCH OUT.  :)

Yeah. We all thought moving to Texas was going to be a huge boost to the Sky Ryders organization. If I recall correctly, we had something like 200 people show up for tryouts at the November camp for the 1991 season (even after placing 19th in 1990). We thought we were really going to go places. Turns out that too many Texans still wanted to go to a more established top 12 corps.

We still managed to squeeze into top 12, but I think the management of the organization turned the current members off. That, coupled with the corps raising it's dues by roughly 50%, alot of people decided it wasn't worth it. Some, like me, just flat out couldn't afford it. So alot of vets were lost. Continued poor management (in my estimation) eventually and unfortunately did it in completely by the end of 1993.

Bart Yount

Sky Ryders 90, 91 Sop

Bluecoats 92, 93 Mello

speaking of texas and drum corps...are there actually any drum corps from texas now? jeezus...if some crazy rich texas guy started a div. 1 texas corp, i would totally go to it...because it would be the biggest bunch of crazy mofo's to ever walk the face of the planet...

except state of texas...