Bandettes Are Back!

Any history behind the corps name, "Bandettes"?  I've often wondered about this.

As I remember the story behind the name in the begining Mary (Now Founder/Executive Director) was marching in a colour guard with a local band. Complaints that the flags blocked the view of the "musicians" caused the guard to be moved to the rear of the band. I don't remember why but they were then moved further behind the band. Having enough of this Mary took the guard girls and formed their own guard to march in parades. Over time they added a few drums and then a few horns and the "Corps" was born. Looking for a name, they eventually settled on the "Bandettes." They were a small "band" so the "ettes" part fit and it was also a play on words, they being the "Bandits" that broke away from the other larger band. I was told this story when I first instructed with the 80 to 90 member corps back in 1975. There may be some differences from the total truth but this I believe is close enough to let you now sleep at nights.

Thanks for your interest in the Bandettes and we are all looking forward very much to being on the field again next summer.

Rick - Volunteer

Edited by Bandette Rick

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

Only a few more days left to apply if you are interested in instructing in Bandettes!

If you have questions or need more info please contact me.

Shara Barlow

I got a question. What if the prospected staff member applying for a position but cant march with the corps due to age out! Does it matter or not.

B) :blink::blink:

Staff members may not march. Also, we do not accept staff members that are of marching age .... except on rare ocassions that they are the best qualified person for the position. We are currently not accepting applications for front ensamble because I am the instructor for that section.

I hope this answers your question. If not feel free to send me a private message or e mail.

Shara

Just want to say "Welcome Back" Bandettes!

Staff members may not march. Also, we do not accept staff members that are of marching age .... except on rare ocassions that they are the best qualified person for the position. We are currently not accepting applications for front ensamble because I am the instructor for that section.

I hope this answers your question. If not feel free to send me a private message or e mail.

Shara

Hey! vibegirl

Who is currently the Pit Arranger for Bandettes?

B) :worthy::music: