New Adjudication System Proposal

Yes! Colorguard absolutely does need to be a half ticked caption. I completely agree with this.

Aww, you're just agreeing with me 'cause you think I'm warm and fuzzy. :P

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make each GE caption worth 15 points and 10 points for guard. Tics not necessary for guard as that is accounted for in build-up of the Excellence subcaption. However, positioning of the guard judge (original post) should remain in the seats... better for viewing the entire guard and technique errors are as obvious from higher up in terms of pitch, clarity (or lack thereof), body positioning, demand, and toss height.

that works, but where do we put narration?

also, on the ensemble and GE sheets, wording about amplification balance or lack there of needs to be added

...like a glass of bad beer. *poke*  ^0^  :P  :)

Bad beer is fuzzy? Dang, remind me not to go to your usual bars up there in Volunteer Land. :P

Gonna have to show you a real bar one of these days. B)

I like it, but 60 points are devoted exclusively to music.  I'm not sure that DCI would want that, seeing as it's scored 50/50 right now.  Or, was that intentional?

Not with my system. 40 points music, 40 points visual, 20 points a combination of both for G.E.

Sorry Nikk.  I didn't read your definition of GE thorougly enough.  I still like it.  :)

No need to apologize...I think you were reading someone else's system, perhaps Jeff's? While I liked the old system at the time, the fact that it did not factor color guard as a category on its own didn't sit well with me.

My other problem with that Jeff's system is that it still breaks down GE into two separate categories....sorry, but that is just not "general" anymore. It would more correctly be called "Music Effect" and "Visual Effect." If you're looking for something that adjudicates how ALL facets of a show fit together, I think you should have a real "General Effect" category...one judge...greatly reduced in points.

For those who feel this will cause corps to create more unfriendly shows...nah, I don't think so. But a restructuring of the category (or re-education of the judges on WHAT to judge in GE) would probably be needed.

My other problem with that Jeff's system is that it still breaks down GE into two separate categories....sorry, but that is just not "general" anymore.  It would more correctly be called "Music Effect" and "Visual Effect."  If you're looking for something that adjudicates how ALL facets of a show fit together, I think you should have a real "General Effect" category...one judge...greatly reduced in points.

For those who feel this will cause corps to create more unfriendly shows...nah, I don't think so. But a restructuring of the category (or re-education of the judges on WHAT to judge in GE) would probably be needed.

While I see the advantage of having music and visual effect lumped together as "general" effect, I also see a disadvantage. From time to time you'll get judges who focus solely on one or the other. A visual person might make comments about visual only, and a music person might make comments only about music. Just as in the current system, An ensemble music judge might concentrate 90% of their attention on percussion if they are a percussionist, or 90% on brass if they're a brass person. This isn't supposed to be happening of course, but it does happen. How would you address this potential problem?

Edited by madscout96