Did Hopkins REALLY say that?

I agree that Mr. Hopkins didn't use the best choice of words but I don't think he was refering to any corps. He was refering to the Cadets themselves. They were losing a lot of captions in the early season due to the incompleteness of the show. They had captions as low as eighth place in the early polls. That may have hurt the kids confidence for a while, people go to corps like cadets expecting to be contenders for the crown. However, a lot of people took it as a slam on everybody 8th and lower. I'm sure Mr. Hopkins will correct the situation as soon as he is aware that it is an issue. After all, even though they won the title, who wants to make enemies of other corps. Who knows, maybe the cadet equipment truck will break down sometime and It might be the santa clara vanguard to the rescue.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I loath any and all things "GH" even I wouldn't believe he was speaking of a "specific" corps. That's too stupid even for....... nope, not going there.

Rocketman - loathing all

ampssuck

More liberal idiotic reteric. I am sick of it living here in CA. What the man said is true. Confidence increases when you are moving up not down. Winning is what the goal should be. Coming in 2nd is not good enough. He could have said the number was 2 for all I care. Win or go home and sulk with silly posts that started this debate. Shut up and do better next year. Personally SCV is lucky to have been 8. I love their drumline but geesh the music just wasnt anything to write home about. I like SCV and am a fan, just let it go....

But that's what Hop said; they gained confidence based on their score. I find that normal. Lets see, they just won, sounds like their priorities are exactly where they should be, no?

As long as they're keeping score the goal is to WIN. :)

So Phantom Regiment didn't accomplish any worthy goals this year because they finished a measly 3rd?

And because Cavaliers were "the 1st loser" (2nd place), their priorities are NOT in the right order?

Unless you believe that there are conspiracies between corps directors and judges or DCI, then you can't believe that a corps can directly influence the result of the competition by their performance. They can directly influence their performance. They have no control over what other corps do, or what the judges do.

This is drum corps, it's not a sport in the same way that football, baseball, or hockey are, for example. You can't play "defense". You can't get an interception by catching a rifle tossed by your opponent's guard. You can't tackle a soprano soloist before he's able to complete a phrase, and you can't set a pick to keep the bass drums from getting to their next set.

Knowing that of the three things that influence scoring and placement (your performance, other corps' performances, judges' opinions) you're only able to control one of them, how can you can you say that goal is to win? You have minimal control over how you score and place. You have 100% control over how you perform.

So when someone (regardless of who it is or who they represent) makes a comment about how it would difficult to be confident in 8th place, it offends me and I'm sure it offends anyone else who doesn't or didn't do drum corps with winning being the #1 goal! That's why I was so shocked to see that these words came from George Hopkins!

Perhaps the 1st goal of Cadets is to win, that GHop and the staff and corps members truly would feel uncomfortable in 8th place (or even 4th like last year). But he's not stupid, he knows that winning isn't the only goal attainable by a drum corps, and he knows that other corps know this as well and may not have winning as their top priority, even though they do well competitvely.

Edited by madscout96

So Phantom Regiment didn't accomplish any worthy goals this year because they finished a measly 3rd?

And because Cavaliers were "the 1st loser" (2nd place), their priorities are NOT in the right order?

Your words, not mine!
Unless you believe that there are conspiracies between corps directors and judges or DCI, then you can't believe that a corps can directly influence the result of the competition by their performance.  They can directly influence their performance.  They have no control over what other corps do, or what the judges do.
:worthy:
Knowing that of the three things that influence scoring and placement (your performance, other corps' performances, judges' opinions) you're only able to control one of them, how can you can you say that goal is to win?  You have minimal control over how you score and place.  You have 100% control over how you perform. 
I said..as long as they're keeping score the goal is to win. I don't speak on behalf of anyone but myself and that is the way I see it. Your analogy of only having control of one aspect applies to sports also. You can't control how the other team plays or what calls the referrees will make. Doesn't mean you aren't there to win. I bet you don't like dodge ball. B)
So when someone (regardless of who it is or who they represent) makes a comment about how it would difficult to be confident in 8th place, it offends me and I'm sure it offends anyone else who doesn't or didn't do drum corps with winning being the #1 goal!  That's why I was so shocked to see that these words came from George Hopkins!
Ahh, I see the problem now, it's reading comprehension. Hop said no such thing. You're reading wayyy too much into his comment. Chill!

Your words, not mine! 

So you're agreeing with the IDEA that the Phantom and Cavies had failed to achieve this year? Apparantly you are if you didn't shoot it down. I merely asked if you agreed with the idea. I did not say that I believed the idea. As a matter of fact, I don't. I think Cavies and especially Phantom Regiment should consider this year a terrific success, and I'm sure that if you asked Pat Seidling or Jeff Fiedler they'd concur humbly.

Your analogy of only having control of one aspect applies to sports also. You can't control how the other team plays or what calls the referrees will make. Doesn't mean you aren't there to win.

As I said in my other post, you DO have control over how the other team plays in sports. You can disrupt the offense, surprise the defense, you can take them off of their game plan. You can contest their shots, knock down their passes, surprise them with a blitz, catch their speedy runners stealing bases, pitch around their biggest sluggers, keep the ball away from their toughest defenders, etc. (depending on the sport in question). If this wasn't true, the L.A. Lakers would have easily beaten the Detroit Pistons in the 2004 NBA Finals, the Yankees would have completed the sweep of the Red Sox last fall, the Soviets would have steamrolled over the USA in the 1980 Olympic hockey tournament, the list goes on! But, in drum corps...

This is drum corps, it's not a sport in the same way that football, baseball, or hockey are, for example.  You can't play "defense".  You can't get an interception by catching a rifle tossed by your opponent's guard.  You can't tackle a soprano soloist before he's able to complete a phrase, and you can't set a pick to keep the bass drums from getting to their next set. 

You have no control of what your opponents do. In most sports, you certainly do. Unless it's track or golf, in which case officiating is EXTREMELY objective.

Edited by madscout96

Madscout does seem a little off base. He is correct on one thing however. This is not a 'sport.' It is more along the lines of an atheltic event. It seems that he misinterpreted comments to mean that 'winning first place is the only thing that matters.' Which was A, never said, and B, i don't think anyone really believes that. It isn't all that matters, but, this is a compeition, and the goal is to win. Sure, you can put PC language on it. "Oh, its the performance that counts, everyones a winner, what matters most is you put on a good show.' But if this was all true, alright then, so lets just not have a top 12, lets just put on festivals throughout states. I wouldn't be in favor of that. Regardless, compeition is something inhernt in the activity, and it is much better to be the first place group then the 3rd, and much better to be the 3rd then the 5th...and so on down the line. But that dosn't mean that the last place group didn't accomplish things of value, on either a personal or compeitive level.

levi