Disappointed by D1

Okay, did anyone else actually prefer D2/3 to D1 this year? This was my second time enjoying finals, and doing the "Grand Slam" on Saturday and catching all 24 Corps. I've been a D2/3 parent for 5 seasons now. I've always had some favorites in 2/3 (my kids and others), but looked forward to seeing the "Big Boys" on Saturday. This year it was a bit of a letdown. There were a few notable shows Phantom, SCV and Bluecoats, but most of the other shows really did little for me. Its only my opinion, but it seems that the trend now is to find a concept write a show around it and then arrange some music to support the show. I preferred it when it seemed that music was selected to support a theme, and then the show was written. For me the difference is that I will have a D2/3 cd from this season, but not a D1. The dvd would be fine, but without the visual performance not much of D1 moved me. Just my two pennys.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not surprised. I got to see several corps this summer, and frankly, several of them sounded exactly the same. It used to be that each corps had it's own style (i.e. PR: Hard corps classics, BD: Cool Jazz, SCV: Sophisticated elegance, Madison: Blow your face off etc.) now, if you played me a CD with half of the corps, I couldn't tell them apart. (BTW I loved PRs show this year)

Please, show designers; look back into your corps history, and embrace your corps' style. DCI is running the risk of becoming a very "vanilla" type of show. Where are the North Stars, the VKs, the 27ths of tomorrow? There is no reason that a corps today cannot create a show that moves the activity forward, while not discarding the "personality" of the corps.

I think we hit the vanilla stage a while ago. I also prefer div2/3. I'd really like to see div 2 evolve into a flavor of drum corps all it's own. There are some really fine corps who are doing it the right way and for the right reasons. Now if they could just get a little respect. Just a little bit. Just a little bit. R E S P E C T... find out what it means to me.. oops sorry, got carried away. :-x

Sock it to me

Sock it to me

Sock it to me

Sock it to me!

Edited by Eggbert

I enjoyed the Div II and III show in Van Buren, Ark. better than the Div I shows I saw in Wichita, Pittsburg(KS) and Broken Arrow.

I am serious when I say this. I really did enjoy the shows more. It reminded me more of what Drum Corps was and should be.

Spartans, Impulse, Teal Sound, Memphis Blues, OC and Revo put on a better show.

Well except for PR, Scouts and Troopers. :P

As much as I am a Div 2/3 alum,fan, supporter and educator....The Div 1 corps I saw this season where amazing. The Colts, BK, Crown, Capital, and Madison to name a few where awesome. As for Div 2/3 ECJ, Allegiance, and Blue Stars had great shows that I really enjoyed.

Spartans, Impulse, Teal Sound, Memphis Blues, OC and Revo put on a better show.

It's Memphis Sound. lol We do have a few roots with the Memphis Blues Brass Band though...

Anyway, Van Buren was an awesome - I agree. Not sure if it's because I was performing or because it's where I live and it was a home show for me (and about 15 others). Maybe it was both, hmm...

It's Memphis Sound. lol We do have a few roots with the Memphis Blues Brass Band though...

Anyway, Van Buren was an awesome - I agree. Not sure if it's because I was performing or because it's where I live and it was a home show for me (and about 15 others). Maybe it was both, hmm...

b**bs I don't belive I typed that. It was late. We had a guy who was in Memphis Blues in our HS band back when I was in 8th grade. He told me a lot of great stories. Guess that's why the name comes out so easy.

My husband and I totally agree with the topic starter. The same shows you picked in division 1 were the only ones we REALLY liked (besides Spirit's) .

We enjoyed division 2/3 much more then division 1. No only are the entertaining and talented but they still keep traditions of drum corps alive. We are going to more division 2/3 shows next year. Very unlikely will we be going to finals next year. Not worth paying all that money, if you're not satisified (division 1) but will be glad to support division 2/3 corps. :)

Althought I haven't seen many Div II shows this year (and really enjoyed the ones I did see...congrats Teal Sound!), I REALLY enjoyed Div I this year....I had a great time at Finals, and can't wait to go to Madison next year and California the next. I thought it was an incredible season....with great shows throughout, and exciting competition as well. Seeing Bluecoats, Madison, and Phantom really step it up this year was great!

Thats just my two cents

I think we hit the vanilla stage a while ago.  I also prefer div2/3.  I'd really like to see div 2 evolve into a flavor of drum corps all it's own.  There are some really fine corps who are doing it the right way and for the right reasons.  Now if they could just get a little respect.  Just a little bit. Just a little bit.  R E S P E C T... find out what it means to me.. oops sorry, got carried away. :-x

Sock it to me

Sock it to me

Sock it to me

Sock it to me!

You've been listening to/watching '91 VK again, haven't you?