Finals Attendace

Guest DrumCorpFan
How is this attendance up?  I haven't been following attendance datum at all I must admit.  But I DO remember 41000 in 1981.

The "DCI can do no wrong" people won't count that because it is ancient history to them. They will only look back as far as to show that this year is higher and DCI is doing everything correctly.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And we're off! I figured the thread would turn into this in much less time than it did.

If you've come to this thread for meaningless number comparisons that have to do with thousands of factors, not to mention the most fun one, time, used by those who hate drum corps today to "prove" whatever vaporous "points" they have in their heads at the moment, then you've come to the right place!

Step right up.

:lolhit:

How is this attendance up?  I haven't been following attendance datum at all I must admit.  But I DO remember 41000 in 1981.

Was't 1980 pretty close to that also?

I remember concert side in Legion Field was packed with many folks on the back side as well!

And we're off!  I figured the thread would turn into this in much less time than it did. 

If you've come to this thread for meaningless number comparisons that have to do with thousands of factors, not to mention the most fun one, time, used by those who hate drum corps today to "prove" whatever vaporous "points" they have in their heads at the moment, then you've come to the right place!

Step right up.

:lolhit:

HUH????

The point of the thread was audience attendance. Not fun factor. What thousands of factors other than "who walked through the door that night" are we talking about? How are the numbers meaningless? Because DCI now charges a hundred bucks a ticket to compensate or something?

I never said I hate todays drum corps. Where did you get THAT from?

What's vaporous about hard numbers in audience size?

Edited by apoch003

The "DCI can do no wrong" people won't count that because it is ancient history to them.  They will only look back as far as to show that this year is higher and DCI is doing everything correctly.

Looks like you were right.

I'll bet the parking lot action was great as well.

Mom

By choice.. that is where I had spent my "semi-finals" night!! OMG!! What a blast!! I loved being in the parking lot watching the different sections of the corps warming up.. There is no doubt in my mind.. semi's for me, will always be in the lot.. These corps members are awesome.. And it really didn't matter which corps that I drifted to.. they were all equally great! :blink::worthy::worthy:

Given all the myriad of factors you have to take into account, comparing attendance in '05 with attendance in 1980 or '81 is hardly fair. And anyway, it might not be better than 1981, but it is getting better than it was in the late 90s and early 00s. That's a good thing right? You can't just point at the best year ever and expect DCI to live up to that every season. The "DCI can do no right" people just paint everything in colors of doom and gloom.

Look at it this way, though -- nowadays you can see all of last season's quarterfinalists together at one site three other times besides Finals. If I live nearer Indy or San Antonio, I'm probably going to that show rather than flying all the way to New England. Also, with so many fewer corps today, there's a lot fewer immediate friends and family buying tickets. Back in 1981, just think how many corps there were in Quebec back then. Considering factors like that, we're not doing too badly.

So ... any solid numbers (or educated estimates) on 2005? That's why I clicked on this thread to begin with ...

Given all the myriad of factors you have to take into account, comparing attendance in '05 with attendance in 1980 or '81 is hardly fair.  And anyway, it might not be better than 1981, but it is getting better than it was in the late 90s and early 00s.  That's a good thing right?  You can't just point at the best year ever and expect DCI to live up to that every season.  The "DCI can do no right" people just paint everything in colors of doom and gloom.

Look at it this way, though -- nowadays you can see all of last season's quarterfinalists together at one site three other times besides Finals.  If I live nearer Indy or San Antonio, I'm probably going to that show rather than flying all the way to New England.  Also, with so many fewer corps today, there's a lot fewer immediate friends and family buying tickets.  Back in 1981, just think how many corps there were in Quebec back then.  Considering factors like that, we're not doing too badly.

So ... any solid numbers (or educated estimates) on 2005?  That's why I clicked on this thread to begin with ...

:blink:

Well stated, exactly what I was planning on saying.