Re-hash of an old complaint...

I played GBugle for a few years, then trumpet in my drum corps.

I prefered to call the trumpets (which is what they are) trumpets, because during the rest of the year, thats what I called the instrument I played, and it didn't seem to make any sense to call the instruments by their ensemble voicings.

That being said, we took a vote as a section the first year we switched... the term soprano won (that was three years ago).

This year, I visited the corps, and the only term I heard was trumpet, so the term "trumpet" or "tuba" has finally become acceptable, and doesn't have "dorky-bando" conotations to it.

Again, technically speaking...they have ALWAYS been trumpets. Until 2000, they were trumpets in G, but they were still trumpets. So why did we call them soprani back then? I don't know the exact reasons, but I am willing to bet it had to do with wanting to be different than the typical high school band.

It's not that big of a deal...I'm just an old dinosaur and liked this particular little tradition. Don't know why it needed to change.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to rationalize that one myself Jim. 

Boogie woogie Bugle Boy is played on a Trumpet.  I use that association to maintain that a trumpet is still a bugle.  hee!

Unless you consider the Bridgemen played bugles back in 1979 when they did "Boogie Woogie". :P

I've also seen the bugle vs trumpet arguement based on horn construction (conical vs spherical). I'm not a music major so I got kind of lost on that one. Will have to see if I can dig up an explaination.

OK Mr Clark what key is your keyed bugle? And thanks for the first color pic I've seen of these horns. Take it 1850-1860 or so???

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

A few Keyed Bugle images

Somewhere I have a small book the Smithsonian used to publish about Keyed Bugles. I'd love to find one for my collection, but I'm afraid it would be terribly expensive... almost as much as dinner at Gillette Stadium.

I have some booklets I bought at the Henry Ford Museum back in 1985 or so. Great info and pictures but every thing is in black and white.

Understand about the expense. :( Bought a one valve Bari with a valve lock (ca late 1930s) a few years ago and that killed my "fun money" budget for a while. I'm back to buying pins and copies of old DC shows.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

Oooh - oooh - Can I be a sopranosaurus?!!!!

b**bs LMAO