In Memory of Really Forgotten

Morristown Colonials, Morristown, NJ

Geez....I should have remembered them. When they folded after the 68 season about 6 or 7 of their members made the trek to my corps, the Imperial Guardsmen from Livingston, about a 20 minute drive or so from Morristown.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect they folded because you wouldn't defect from the Sunrisers...maybe it was because you wanted to be the uniform designer?...aloha shirts and Zubaz shorts with white bucks? :blink:

AI EEE!

:P

Pat

Pat, trust me.... what I wear at drum corps shows pales in comparison to what the members of the Ski Mask Cadets were wearing during their one and (so far) only performance. b**bs

The "uniform" for everyone in the corps was: A ski mask, plus anything else you wanted to wear. That led to a lot of.....uhhhhh....interesting uniform choices.

I wish I had pictures, but I don't. :worthy:

Ya know.....technically, since the corps has already made one public appearance, it could re-form as the Ski Mask Cadets Alumni Corps.

Don't say you haven't been warned. ^0^

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

These are truly sad listings. With all due respect to all the corps listed, the importance of some of these corps is worth noting. These are the ones that come to my mind:

BLESSED SACRAMENT, Newark, NJ – 10 National Championships

TROOPERS, Casper, Wy. – 8 National Championships

St. VINCENT’S, Bayonne, NJ – 7 National Championships

KILTIES, Racine, Wis. – 5 National Championships

KINGSMEN, Anaheim, Ca. – 5 National Championships

27th LANCERS, Revere, Ma. – 4 National Championships

BRIDGEMEN, Bayonne, NJ – 4 National Championships

ROYAL AIRS, Chicago, Il – 3 National Championships

BLUE ROCK, Wilmington, Del. – 3 National Championships

STAR of INDIANA, Bloomington, In. – 3 National Championships

St. Lucy’s, Newark, NJ – 1 National Championship

NORTH STAR, North Shore, Ma. – 1 National Championship

St. RITA’S BRASSMEN, Brooklyn, NY – 1 National Championship

ARGONNE REBELS, Great Bend, Ka. – 1 National Championship

To the North:

TORONTO OPTIMISTS, Toronto, Ont., Can. – 11 Canadian National Championships

DeLASALLE, Toronto, Ont., Can. – 3 Canadian National Championships

LaSALLE CADETS, Ottawa, Ont., Can. – 1 Canadian National Championship

For the record, I cited National Championships as A.L., VFW, CYO, DCI, US OPEN and WORLD OPEN.

There are many individual state champions. Do you remember other?

You forgot to mention, as Keith Hall did, shame on you Keith, from Kitchener, Ontario, Canada, the Dutch Boy Cadets, 1969-76, 2 National titles, 3 Provincial titles !!!!! :blink: b**bs :blink: b**bs :worthy: b**bs :worthy:

Guelph Opti Knights (sniff....)

WHO ???? :worthy::blink::worthy:

I remember Opti-Knights AND Opti-Lancers..."Masterpiece Theatre" Theme

Well, they live on in a fashion; my daughter's junior high in Libertyville has a bass drum case for their one marching bass drum that belonged to Custer's Brigade; their name is stenciled on the side.
There's a rarity!

Some history: Custer's Brigade was the top unit of Larry Grabowski's short-lived "Lake County Drum Corps" which started in 1960 with corps he started simultaneously in Lake County IL.: the Custer's Brigade of Libertyville, the Mundelein Grenadiers, the Wauconda Legion Lancers and there may have been one more. The latter two fed into the CB which was by far the best right from the beginning, and as their name implied had Cavalry uniforms. I have a photo of them sounding Taps for the anniversary of the death of Gen. George Armstrong Custer. They were one of the corps to watch in 1961-1962.

By 1963 Larry started Drum Corps Associates which published the Drum Corps Digest and ran shows including the great DCD Fantasy In Brass in the Chicago Civic Opera House. In about 1963 the Custer's Brigade dropped the Cavalry look and theme (which the Casper Troopers would later get some mileage out of) and became "The Brigade" with all-white cadet uniforms with red trim. The other two small LCDC corps then merged into The Brigade.

The Brigade's last year was 1964, and in 1965 the almost-new white uniforms went to Kenosha and the then year-old Queensmen where they were seen for three more seasons (the white shakos for five seasons), and Larry Grabowski then took over the directorship of the Kenosha Shoreliners for one year while still publishing Drum Corps Digest. He was still producing drum corps contests in the 1980s.

Hang onto that bass drum!

Geez....I should have remembered them. When they folded after the 68 season about 6 or 7 of their members made the trek to my corps, the Imperial Guardsmen from Livingston, about a 20 minute drive or so from Morristown.

and they (Morristown) had been around since the thirties...........

You forgot to mention, as Keith Hall did, shame on you Keith, from Kitchener, Ontario, Canada, the Dutch Boy Cadets, 1969-76, 2 National titles, 3 Provincial titles !!!!! :worthy: b**bs :worthy: b**bs :worthy: b**bs :worthy:
You have forgot The Boston Crusaders National Champions also Edited by bobk9258

Argonne Rebels

SkyRyders

North Star

NS79vote.jpg