In Memory of Really Forgotten

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

I grew up in Westminster Md. and remember the Starlighters well. The director (Robert "Bob" Stansbury) worked with my grandfather at National Advertising, and one of the house artists created the corps logo; a cartoon sop player holding a match to a star. later the Stansburys moved to the end of my street, and I can rember corps members hanging around the neighborhood. The Corps jackets were nice too..varsity style in cordoroy! My dad was in the booster club and still has his scrapbook with all the news paper clippings, and the programs from the home show "Facinating Rhythm" which was held at the old Westminster High School's Ruby Field (now East Middle) a tiny wooden stadium a far cry from the state of the art facity which hosts todays YEA sponsord event. (the back field stands at the current school are built on the frames of the FRONT side stands from Ruby) I spent many a afternoon as a knee biter at the various practice fields watching rehersals and getting in the way!

If I remember correctly the corps folded in the early '70s due to problems securing a rehersal site, they eventualy ended up in a old movie palace which burned, and destroyed the equipment and uniforms. The city still bosts a fine military style comunity band (Westminster Municipal) where several ex Starlighters have been members over the years. Westminster High School has a highly competive BOA band which has placed numerous members in various corps over the years including a large contingent in the Reading Buccaneers.

Dwayne Lindsay

Welcome to DCP..........I remember the Starlighters and had the privilege of running into one horn player who is a client of mine. Did you know Glenn Speicher?

I grew up in Westminster Md. and remember the Starlighters well. The director (Robert "Bob" Stansbury) worked with my grandfather at National Advertising, and one of the house artists created the corps logo; a cartoon sop player holding a match to a star. later the Stansburys moved to the end of my street, and I can rember corps members hanging around the neighborhood. The Corps jackets were nice too..varsity style in cordoroy! My dad was in the booster club and still has his scrapbook with all the news paper clippings, and the programs from the home show "Facinating Rhythm" which was held at the old Westminster High School's Ruby Field (now East Middle) a tiny wooden stadium a far cry from the state of the art facity which hosts todays YEA sponsord event. (the back field stands at the current school are built on the frames of the FRONT side stands from Ruby) I spent many a afternoon as a knee biter at the various practice fields watching rehersals and getting in the way!

If I remember correctly the corps folded in the early '70s due to problems securing a rehersal site, they eventualy ended up in a old movie palace which burned, and destroyed the equipment and uniforms. The city still bosts a fine military style comunity band (Westminster Municipal) where several ex Starlighters have been members over the years. Westminster High School has a highly competive BOA band which has placed numerous members in various corps over the years including a large contingent in the Reading Buccaneers.

Dwayne Lindsay

Welcome to DCP..........I remember the Starlighters and had the privilege of running into one horn player who is a client of mine. Did you know Glenn Speicher?

Jim:

I don't really remember any of the members (I was only 5-6 at the time, use to go to practice by myself though..boy have times changed) I checked with my dad, and her rembembers Glenn, in fact his father was my grandparents doctor..my grandmother always refered to Dr, Speicher as "The Grump" (in a friendly way) One Sunday while staying with my grandparents I fell and sprained my arm. My grandmother prompty pronounced "Take him to the Grump" Of course I was terrified, of course it was fine.

This all was such a long time ago, but it really seems like only yesterday. I can clearly remember the shows, (I always liked Dundalk..no stands so you took a lawn chair & you could sit literly inches from the sideline) I also remember some how getting on the track at Hershey as the Belvadiers trooped the stands, and practicaly being run over! Counting the "hanging out at Starlighters" years '07 makes 40 years in corps...

DL

:worthy:

Edited by JazzAgeBari

Black Watch-Willingboro NJ DCI class A champions 1979

I was a champion, once..........

And thanks to corpsreps.com, we know what you looked like:

pic081.jpg

Forgive my lateness and perhaps repeating... I don't recall seeing:

Lancers (Jr.) Lock Haven, Pa.

Frankfort, NY Starlighters

Yankee Cadets Utica, NY

Utica Executives (Sr)

Eatontown Royales

Royaleers Utica, NY

Grey Ghost, NY

Spamettes

St. George Olympians

507 Hornets

mello-dears owego,ny

Alpine Girls

Spacetown Cadets

Avant Garde

Blackhawks, Utica, NY

Mountettes

Patriots, Rochester

New Rochelle Wanderers

And the list grows on and on every year....

Keith, I love/hate this thread....

I gotta stop... you've got my head and heart reeling!

Liberty Bell Cadets/Pirates, Philly

Osmond Cadets, Philly

McCall Bluebirds, Philly,

Yearsley Blackhawks, Germantown/Philly

Olney Cadets, Philly

East Germantown, East Germantown/Philly

Imhoff, Philly

Hamilton Fish Post, Philly

MacArthur Post, Philly

Horn Ross Weiss Post, Philly

A.K. Street Post, Philly (went on to become the Reilly Raiders)

Hunting Park Post, Philly

Warriner Post, Philly

H.L. Schmidt Post, Philly

Bolton-Dixon Post, Fort Washington

Morristown Colonials, Morristown, NJ

Penn Treaty Cadets, Philly

Community League, Kensington/Philly

West Oak Lane, Philly

To name just a few........

WOW All those corps from Philly. Now there are none. :(

Just outside of Philly were the:

Bracken Cavaliers (Bristol Pa)

Earls of Bucks (Levittown pa)

Brookhaven Crusaders (Brookhaven Pa)

Keystone Regiment (Marple Newtown Pa)

507 Hornets (Norwood Pa)

Media Fawns (Media Pa)

Cross the river in Jersey and you can add:

Bordentown Little Devils (Bordentown NJ)

Shadettes (Maple Shade NJ)

Royaleers (Haddonfield NJ)

The Vagabonds (Stratford NJ)

St Marys Cadets (Glouster City NJ)

Lamplighters (Lindenwold NJ)

Just a few that I can remember competing against.

Forgive my lateness and perhaps repeating... I don't recall seeing:

Lancers (Jr.) Lock Haven, Pa.

Frankfort, NY Starlighters

Yankee Cadets Utica, NY

Utica Executives (Sr)

Eatontown Royales

Royaleers Utica, NY

Grey Ghost, NY

Spamettes

St. George Olympians

507 Hornets

mello-dears owego,ny

Alpine Girls

Spacetown Cadets

Avant Garde

Blackhawks, Utica, NY

Mountettes

Patriots, Rochester

New Rochelle Wanderers

And the list grows on and on every year....

Keith, I love/hate this thread....

I gotta stop... you've got my head and heart reeling!

I always know how how to move a woman! Just ask them all...hehehehehe