Death of the Cymbal Line

michael,

not a problem with Jeff's choice of boycotting. But if he saw SCV is he really boycotting or is he saying one thing and doing another?

I really couldn't care less if he does or doesn't want to watch DCI shows, it's his personal choice, but I don't need to hear about it.

I equate that to all those people who are strong christians and who take their faith seriously, and who constantly try to tell me about their religious beliefs. Religion is personal, and what you choose sould be kept to yourself and let others choose as they wish.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I was at this show, I can speak for it.

Jeff saw SCV at the Hershey show - the joint DCI/DCA show in 2004. He hasn't been to a strictly DCI sanctioned show since his statement, and he'll be the first to tell you that on his ticket order, he wrote for his money to go towards the DCA portion of the show. I'm sure he could have been rude and gotten up and ignored the DCI portion of the show since there was no intermission between the DCA and DCI portions, but

seeing as how my corps was first up in the DCI portion, and a) he and his wife helped sponsor me in my ageout season, B) he has a great deal of respect for my former caption head, and c) he was showing support not only to me, but to his wife who really wanted him to see if he was indeed missing something great by boycotting DCI shows, he stayed. So there sir, is your explanation. Now that you're done "not really caring", can we please go back to the original topic of the thread?

Most definitely - follow SCV, Colts, Magic... just to explore the fine art of cymbals and what they contribute to the ensemble. :)

i agree being a brass player..i def am in love with the cymbal line. they rock.

and in this talk of dying lines i would like to point out that the blue stars did add a line this season and it will continue into the next. so it is not completely dying.

Since I was at this show, I can speak for it.

Jeff saw SCV at the Hershey show - the joint DCI/DCA show in 2004.  He hasn't been to a strictly DCI sanctioned show since his statement, and he'll be the first to tell you that on his ticket order, he wrote for his money to go towards the DCA portion of the show.  I'm sure he could have been rude and gotten up and ignored the DCI portion of the show since there was no intermission between the DCA and DCI portions, but

seeing as how my corps was first up in the DCI portion, and a) he and his wife helped sponsor me in my ageout season, B) he has a great deal of respect for my former caption head, and c) he was showing support not only to me, but to his wife who really wanted him to see if he was indeed missing something great by boycotting DCI shows, he stayed.  So there sir, is your explanation.  Now that you're done "not really caring", can we please go back to the original topic of the thread?

thanks hun. you make me proud every day that I wrote those checks in your name.

:blink:

and she's nailed it on the head.

here's the really funny part.....my wife, who really, REALLY got ###### at me when I said no more DCI, turned, looked at me and said "you were right. it sucks"

this from a music major almost to her Masters from penn State and a kick ### middle school band.

this year she went to see the telecast.

her words when she got home?

"well, that's $17 I won't get back. I am glad you didn't go...after BD you would have killed and I would have let you. After cadets, you would have had to hold me back. I am so glad we aren't paying for Friends Of DCI for that ####"

and back OT

marching cymbal lines kick ###. if you are creative and you train your kids right, you can add so much to a show it makes the mind spin.

I actually think that, given his position on the issues, Jeff is usually significantly more fair, restrained, and sensitive with his posts than many of his disgruntled colleagues.  Yes, it's true that Jeff (and a few others) are persistent in their determination to make sure we all know how they feel, but Jeff (unlike some others) rarely resorts to insults, blatant untruths, and mean-spirited rhetoric to make his points.  Finally, I happen to think that Jeff's boycott of DCI shows is a mature way to stand behind his convictions and his reasoning for choosing the boycott method is solid ("That change is enough to keep me from going because I know if I go and see it, i'll be miserable, shoot my mouth off and #### off people around me.") and shows that he is sensitive to the fact that there are many people whose views differ from his.

While we may differ on specific drum corps issues, I truly believe that Jeff loves drum corps and I support and respect his right to have and express a dissenting opinion in a mature, non-destructive manner - as he often does!

between us since you're a cool Borg :P

I'd post anyways. I am a postwhore. it's in my bood...go look at the Bored Forum.

but you're right> i don't support trolls ( hi TD) and when i have something to say, I make sure it is said in a way that represents my true feelings yet doesn't make me, my wife or my corps family look bad.

I mean, I marched Westshore, we always looked bad....###### that is :P

• 4 weeks later...
these days ya need more than one person to do it all. that you have people able to be proficient in one voice is great...an expert solely on that instrument

I strongly disagree with this statement, as a percussionist, a true percussionist would be proficient at all instruments, especially the battery.

I strongly disagree with this statement, as a percussionist, a true percussionist would be proficient at all instruments, especially the battery.

that is correct...siiiiiiiiirrrr (had to drop a Billy Madison reference...) w/Stp:

I love me some cymbals. Nothing beats checking out a battery in the lot with a sweet cymbal line...not mostly for the visual purpose, but for the very different voice it adds.

However, it doesn't translate the same on the field most of the time. I would rather see more brass march. I'll go to WGI to see great cymbal lines doing great things.