Death of the Cymbal Line

1 cymbal line in the top 12 (SCV). Scouts & Spirit, no cymbal line.

Question --- Are we witnessing the extinction of marching cymbal lines in junior drum & bugle corps? Will this trend reverse? Is it cyclical? Will senior/all-ages drum & bugle corps follow suit (as they tend to over time)?

What a bummer....

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't one of Hoppy's reasons for the increase in membership of junior corps (128 to 135) to sustain or, in most cases, bring back cymbal lines?

with pits being able to cover any needed cymbal parts you really don't need cymbal lines anymore and can have 1. more brass, or 2. more guard.

1 cymbal line in the top 12 (SCV).  Scouts & Spirit, no cymbal line.

Question --- Are we witnessing the extinction of marching cymbal lines in junior drum & bugle corps?  Will this trend reverse?  Is it cyclical?  Will senior/all-ages drum & bugle corps follow suit (as they tend to over time)?

What a bummer....

Seemed like there were quite a few cymbal lines in 13-24. Crossmen, Pioneer, Southwind, Seattle, Kiwanis and Magic come to mind but there may have been others.

It is a shame that cymbal lines are getting dropped. I find nothing more enjoyable visually in a drum corps show than watching a good cymbal line. I hope this is a trend that will reverse.

That being said, anybody who thinks cymbals are the MOST interesting part of any corps' visual program must have some serious guard issues.

I always thought the dearth of cyms was mainly due to the dearth of ride-heavy (IE jazz, show tunes or rock) programming these days.

with pits being able to cover any needed cymbal parts you really don't need cymbal lines anymore and can have 1. more brass, or 2. more guard.

I'm biased here. A total SCV cymbal junkie. I'll admit that freely going into my reply:

From a purely functional standpoint, you may be right. However, when a cymbal line achieves the persona and stature that SCV's always does, I think it would be a crying shame to think they were merely optional - or something SCV doesn't really need. I could watch an accomplished cymbal line (like SCV's) all day and get a kick out of it every time. It has to be contributing to their GE scores as well. (It certainly would if I were a judge.) I used to constantly tell people "If SCV's entire corps was always up to the same level as their cymbal line, I bet they'd win DCI every year."

Maybe that's what we need to generate some more interest in marching cymbals - "The SCV Cymbal Cam". It could follow them around and show people just how hard they are working out there...and what a contribution they really are.

:worthy:

Cymbals on the field are about more than crashes. The visual aspect is what makes them really interesting.

Exactly! The marching cymbal line is the "visual" program for the battery.

If you want to witness the epitomy of the SCV marching style, watch the cymbal line.

PLUS, at standstill/encore presentations, the cymbal line is the ONLY thing to watch! (well, for us non-drummers anyway) And watching SCV's makes always makes the kids in the stands say, "That was ####### intense!!!" :worthy: