Finals week thoughts and observations.

It's a funny thing, driving up route 1 north after exiting route 95. Ten years after DCI first visited this area and it looks nothing like it did. In 1994, I stayed at the "End zone" ...made my reservations a week before the championships and they had availability. It was so close to the stadium, back then.

Now, to ride by the old parking lot of the old stadium, seeing it covered up with grass and weeds, and barricades at the entrances.....it was a decade+ since Blue Devils came back and firmly established themselves as the premier corps of DCI. It made my stomach grind in knots knowing of all the triumph of then, none of that would be repeated.

We stayed up in Milford, exit 20 on route 495 at the Holiday inn express. Cheap, beautiful, and quite accomodating with dozens of other drum corps fans there as well. Arrived on Tuesday and spent that day and Wed. getting acclamated with the area, plotting routes, alternate routes and just gearing up for what I consider the best show of the year: Quarterfinals.

We arrived at the stadium early and with a few people we met at the hotel with us, splitting the cost of parking to just $5 each. We did this all thre nights and it was a great idea that I wonder if many others did the same thing.

Club level seating is just awesome ! In the clubhouse were restaurant like fixtures, tables, chairs, tall tables, bar stools, restaurant quality food, well worth the price..I mean, if you tally up your cost of food for the day at quarters and your food for the day at Disneyworld......?? Case closed.

Our seats were literally right next to the judges all three nights due to the fact that my Mother has a bum leg and is legally handicapped and we order seats accordingly. I have to say that Dan Acheson and the rest of the staff coordinating the handicapped seating really went out of their way to accomodate as many people as they could without incident........

So, after relaxing in the clubhouse, meeting up with friends and whatnot...we made it out to the balcony to watch the show:

A big stadium, IMO, makes everyone a little better than they actually are and this worked well for Kiwanis Kavaliers. A show that, unfortunately didnt really do the trick for those around us but I enjoyed it, although I couldnt wait for the show to move on. Kiwanins needs more memebrs and a better show design. I hope the can rebound next year and not fall off worse, as I stated in my Allentown review" Stop trying to fill the seats with band kids and get them out on the field...where they belong !

Pioneer performed next with another Irish show, however, this one was a little more exciting and memrable than years past. Still, a limited conceot is going to keep you to limited placement. Break out of your defined box and give us something intriguing and new......an all Irish show with a fresh angle could do the trick.

Troopers entered the field and the stands were barely 1/4 full. They still received their required ovation and the staff tried to electrify the audience with some synchronized clapping. Again, another typical post 90's trooper show full of nice little themes, drill effects, and some references to the past. It was fun to see the girl drum major in the boots and skirts.

Esperanza, Pacific Crest - Do you really ever get one without the other ?? :worthy:

I cant recall anything about......oh wait, I do recall strains of "Karn evil 9" from their show but cant recall what was going on, I only remember their uniform colors, pretty standard. I hope this corps grows, builds an identity and can become successful.

Pacific Crest, I do remember a bit of their show, their OTL set up and how they build into their first big push, their "H2O" drill move....all appealing, nothing outstanding but apealing none-the-less.....

Both corps are presenting "drum corps 101" type shows, probably due to the fact they are young right now. I hope they will build and gain identities and wow us in the future. Still worthy shows I wouldnt mind seeing again.

the Magic.....have a well written, finalist caliber show, full of all the things that will get you in the middle of the pack. The only problem with this show was its lack of emotion and execution. The guard has a compotent, enjoyable book, full of excitement but is being performed up to June standards...are the kids young ?? staff inexperienced?? Brass is full and deep and percussion is capable, again it boils down to execution nad they needed lots of it. I wish they had two more weeks I would love to see this show over Labor day.

Mandarin were fun as they always are. Again, A show worthy of middle of the pack, but nothing memorable or exciting enough to "break out" of that pack.

The music was pleasant enough, the drill was pretty enough, but there was really nothing memorable 'cept the opening fanfare.

The Seattle Cascades presented a show about flight, man counquering the air. "You know what a man is" said the narrator......umm, excuse me, are you kidding me ???? (The first of many times I might be writing this statement) You know what a man is ?? What does this have to do with anything remotely to conquering the elements ??

The narration in this show was terrible, simple as that. It was mechanincal, predictable, lacking in personality and quite silly. Imagination and inovation is great but, maybe you could remotely try to resemble a plane and not worry so much about the sentences ? Those ornage things didnt remotely resemble an airplane, and ten contras representing ten engines ?? Please, take time to research detail......

That was the bad.

This is the good.

Cascades had an appealing GE packed show full of highs and lows and great drill, exciting staging and solid music. I truly believe this show could have placed higher if there was no narration and the effects were more realistic.

Southwind. I still haven't warmed up to the Broken arrow uniforms and still recall the yellow jackets and 2000 show. This years offering is quite appealing, full of great music, great drill and good guard but again, its in the mold of the typical drum corps 101 mold and is placing so high due to its solid execution causing great effect. I hope, again, this corps can gain identity and breakout of the pack.

Capital Regiment. I have to tell you, I really like this corps. I like the kids I have met, I like their instructional staff, I like their shows....heck I even liked their swordfish they rolled around out on the field..... :P Oh, it was a sundial ??? Whatever it was, it wasnt needed to tell e that this was a great show, enjpyable, interesting, never boring and full of great moments. Loved the black/gray flags in the opening, loved the last number......this show was really appealing and it was ranked exactly where it belonged. And as for the swordfish thing, We told some of the staff what we thought after their performance (two guys and a girl) and they cracked up laughing so hard after looking and agreed with us....it was a fun moment , them not taking themselves so seriously, maked me respect them even more.

The Colts were next. This is one of my favorite corps, they never disappoint me, always deliver what I look for in a drum corps and this year they gave me even more. This show is so full of polish, appeal, and emotion....its just sad only 12 corps are taken for finals. Numbers aside, this year has got to be considered a success for them is the way they communicated with the audience....... This year, the Colts offer yet another tasty element to their show a compotent, talented colorguard. Straightline work in "Estancia" with the two rows of flags was dazzling and defienelty one of the highlights of the entire top 24. The staging of the guard is exceptional, whoever writes drill for the Colts, in particular this drill needs to reamin on staff. You could tell the corps is quite mature as the sould was deep, polished and pronouncd, full of dynamics and full of effect. I cant write enough about this show and I cant wait ti get the DVD's to watch it again. an overal solid, compotent show, a challenge, they delivered.

Crossmen, like the Colts, offered a show full of finalist quality and full of dynamics but just fell short, not due to their own efforst, there were just too many good corps. Color always goes hand in hand with a Crossmen show, this year was no exception. Fun, accessible music, jam session, good guard and great, crwod friendly arangements. This was one of the feel good shows of the summer and it doesnt matter what place it came in, it delivered.

Not much is written about Spirit of JSU and quite frankly, lack of reviews and low scoring didnt make me look forward to seeing this show.......wow, what a mistake. This is easily the most mature, most demanding, most accessbiel show JSU has presented since reforming. Hands down. Everthing about the design of ths show and arrangements of the music say two things: Mature, and inteligent.

Staging, transitions, and impacts are all written so well that all the kids have to do is perform and the show will deliver, it is that good. Theres nothing tentative about the musical delivery or the visual delivery, if there were predictable moments, there were savored becuase they were performed so well, you looked forward to them. A solid guard also helped to tell the story adnf amiliar themes from drum corps (broadway) past delivered the elements for pure emotion. A truly underrated show.

Glassmen, what a show ! New world symphony, so appealing, so original. And that guard ! wasnt it only two short years ago Glassmen were out of finals seemingly void of anything imaginative ?? This show has such wow factor, again like with Spirit, maturity is the key hear. Everything is done with conficence and wuite frankly the emotion oozes through this show. I liked the colors used and the outfits the guard used, one of the best designed guard concepts of the year.

Of course, there were some "uneducated" folks in the crowd that thought the last movement was "jaws" and not NWS....oh well.

Blue Knights gave us a wonderful show to enjoy and all three nights it kept getting better and better. The music is appealing, not so much, maybe the first time you hear it but giv it a few times it will grow on you. An inteligent visual program, the coordination between all three sections was quite impressive and one of the best of the night. My only complaint..not enough color keep ing the show empty of range of emotion. Wnough of those dark, ineffective flags...breakout with the color.

~Santa Clara Vanguard/Carolina Crown/Boston Crusaders~

Quarterfinals belonged to the Boston Crusaders. They were on fire !!!! They performed their show, which is in itself a wonderful vehicle for them, with such intensity and emotion, I thought they were gonna burn a hole in the field, they were that hot. Ensemble-wise the corps was perfect. The drill is written in such a refreshing way, a change from the predictable, bando-70's style we are used to and gave us suprise and wow. This is my second favorite BAC show ever and one that is appealing in every way, from the arrangements of themusic, to the level of performance, the intensity, the sound..they are loud ! And the diversity in style ? its all there.

Come finals night the intensity seemed to have given way to tentativeness or exhaustion. A good show is a good show, and nothign can take away from that but by finals they had dropped a notch in the intensity level.

SCV just makes you giddy entering the field. This is a big corps, literally with tall peformers and a strong presence on the field. After seeing them in Allentown, I was confused as to why so many bagged them early in the season (Grounds for another thread...Ill leave it at that)...they must have come a long way because this show kicked majot booty. A solid drill, full of execution, staging and effect, strong brass and percussion with arrangements none to shabby, and a guard that sizzled.....what was the guard being ridiculed for ?? This guard, especcially finals night was on fire......perfect unision, clarity in presentation, mastering of all aspects of tossing, catching ...just wow......best guard EXECUTION of the night .

By finals night, tis corps was magical. Agaon deleivering a performance along the lines of 1987 and 2000, for me...it was simply dazzling and you just knew they were going to move up...The drill formations were crisp. The effects were crisp.

They were on FIRE !!! I thought for sure they were gonna pass BAC and even Crown.......until I saw Crown.........(pause for silence)...."wow"

Talk about emotion and effect. This was by far the best Crown to ever hit the field. They filled the field with rotating, swirling patterns, solid marching and effects, loud, layered brass full of dynamics, dolis effective drums and a guard that just oozed confidence you didnt have to wonder if they could deliver, you just enjoyed what they did deliver. I have nothing negative to say about this show except why did it end ??? This was my Moms favorite show of the night and I can see why (and she is a Die-hard SCV fan) I did notice that the dark angel/light angel didnt use their respective light/dark flags but ued wings instead..I enjoyed the flags much more than the wings...but I digress.

2005 Bluecoats are easily the best bluecoats ever. Best brass ever, best drill ever, best guard ever.......you know a guard is good when they realy less on the look of the flag and more on what they do with the flag. Everything about this show says contender, it is strong full of bluecoat -type moments and that equals identity, and that is what is needed to crack the elite. What I recall most of this show is its solid appeal and strong visual aspect. The only negative thing to say would be to mention the "drum speak" part of the show.....It doesnt fit in with the rest of the concept, stood out like a sore thumb and actually sounded silly, laughable silly, Im glad it didnt last long and this show was well received in spite of that one, small blemish....it sounded like the chinese consolate took ove the PA system and started speaking during the show.....are you KIDDING me ???

Its nice to see the Scouts back in the thick of things and instead of rebuilding, they are contending. Carmen went over very well with the crowd and the usual "crowd favorte" delivered. Solid, picturesque drill patterns, full of tricks and transitions and appealing sets filled the Scouts show along with their full guard, half green, half blue. A solid guard, back to form of old......they helped tell the stroy well and interacted with Carmen quite effectively. The ensemble work with "carmen" was great, as was the scenes of her death and her disappearing.

Much too much whistles being blown and not enough substance visual-wise at these points..I think these weaknesses, along with the lack of a spectacular ending is what helped Bluecoats catch them.

I have to tell you, as far as execution goes ? the Blue Devils were untouchable, intense, and downright frightening in thier intensity of delivering the best show possible. Unfortunaltely what they were executing was the problem. By fianls night, I can say, hlaf of the narration had been altered and/or deleted and a lot more musical passages could be understood/heard/enjoyed. At the start of the show, the first big ensemble brass passage, complete with full guard compliment was awesome, simply awesome......it all goes downhill from there. The concept is just not appealing and just doesnt communicate with the audience. They sat on their hands throughout the entire show. First time I ever saw that in decades..I mean EVER. Actually, many, many people left the stands before BD started their show and didnt come back until it was over. sad. The guard rarely resembled a dance derby or a marathon, rarely did things as a unit and were not very effective in selling the concept at hand, quite distracting and waaayyy too busy being muchm ore technical than needed and a lot less "wow" than they should have been. Percussion seemed to be rather capable and had a meaty book. Brass, I dot know, I want to hear songs, I even can handle snippets of songs..all I got was punches, small phrases of songs, loud jolts, displays of dynamics.....no true melodies or anything to embrace and endear. There was just way too much talking over brass playing...even the watered down "couple number 20, number19, number18...blah blah blah, couple number 12 from california, couple number 11........." Are you KIDDING me ?? Shupt up and let the musicians play their music......just not effective at all.........sigh.

I dont know what else to say about Phantom Regiment that I or anyone else hasn't said already. The show of the year, the undisputed general crowd favorite, the most appealing, most embraced show of the week. Full of color, specatacle, emotion, and pageantry. I think it was Friday? They had a problem with their screens upfront but they carried on not missing a beat. This guard was such an integral part of the show. The colors..nothing like it before...and the flapper part ?? Sent the crowd into a frenzy. Orange !! I always thought that the 1981 Cavaliers used orange most effectively, until 2005 Phantom Regiment..an unforgettable show. Ithought by Saturday thay might have caught the Cavaliers, but it wasnt to be.

Cavaliers a somewhat lackluster show not nearly as breathtaking or as awe-inspiring as their past five years offerings..a lot to live up to. The drill was somewhat muddled and the ladders on the field for half the show was not appealing to me at all. I dodnt like the fire hat concept or really the baseball concept although I thought different the first time I saw them. This is the winner of four of the last five title and I expected so much more. Guard di othing for me, their "chicago" jazz tyoe dancing was rather broing, and the throwing of the hats...yuk. No real wow guard moments, no real wow visual moments.and the ending ?? Just a walk up fron, hats tossed off jam session. I was disappointed in this show and am confused as to why it scored so high.

Which bring us to the Cadets............First place with a 99.125, brass, guard, percussion, GE...umm, are you KIDDING me ????

What about this show is so cutting edge, so innovative that it earned such high praise from fans and jusges alike ?? This was truly the best show out there ??

That door, those four girls, sometimes coming into the stands looking perplexed, the Bjork "speak"......it was all silly and somewhat less than one would expect/hope from the caliber of corps Cadets are supposed to be.

The drill desing was the weakes of the top three......the guard and the corps didnt even integrate until three and a half minutes into the show. and with that, didnt even stay togetheer as about 80% of the show the guard spent on the opposing side of wherever the corps was or mixed in with the percussion section.

The "drill" or visual program was a series of amnuevers. Just how many boxes did that hornline make ?? and how many without playing ?? And using that two sided uniform for effect ?? A serious of marching band maneuvers that were niether difficult, groundbreaking, or innovative, I mean, even the most daring one was introduced and used in 2000.....and this is inovation??Even the ending was less than inspiring and held little to ne "wow" effect as Cadet endings of the past.....And many complain about the speed of the Blue Devils ?? The ballas as the hornline creepd forward in that line with the "X" type pattern while the percussion is clanging away at an altogether different tempo ?? ala 1989's Les miz.......Cutting edge ?? Emotional ? The guard was clean as a whistle and finally had a finals performance worthy of high guard, but in essence where were the difficult passages, the ensemble work ? The genius flag work ?? I really would hate to see everyone jumping on this bandwagon next year..I wish someone could seriously enlighten me so I dont have such a hollow feeling still left in my stomach. And what of this drum speak part ?? Why say it and not play it ?? High percussion mean to me, the best, so you tell me its more effectie to say the drum parts instead of play the drum parts ?? and we call this cutting edge ?? <again, more fuel for another thread> Sorry so critical but I cant understand what about this show would garner it such high praise, high scores and accolades from so many......Maybe its me but I was totally disappointed in this show.

Actually, Cadets, Cavaliers, and Blue Devils were all a let down this year. Phantom Regiment, Carolina Crown, Bluecoats nad Vanguard were all amazing.

All in all, it was a solid top 12, probably the most solid in a long time, odd concepts and disappointing concepts in all. I truly hope this narration thing burns itself out and we dont get more "bjork" on the field, its just silly.

This pretty much sums it up...for now.

~G~

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all of your well thought out, insightful comments on Finals week, G! Sorry I didn't get to see ya. You & I agreed on many (though not all corps). Glad you had a great week.

Harvey

To draw the Cadets analogy, my wife said she felt like she walked into the stadium, came out a door, and watched the Blue Devils. She felt every bit as dazed and confused with the Blue Devils show as that wandering Cadets little Girl. She said she wished she had a magic wand that could make this years BD's show just disappear. It's a confused world when the Blue Knights seem more like the Blue Devils than the Blue Devils do. It's a harsh reality, but here's hoping the Blue Devils go" back to the beginning, and see what brung 'em to the dance ( DCI championships ) in the first place ". This ain't it. It was sad to see the Blue Devils of all Corps like this. Much like their dance marathon, the BD show designers seem fatigued right now. Let's hope the BD staff go back to the beginning in a rewind, and in the off season, find the energy and the excitement that we have all come to know with this fine Corps. It's rare to ever hear so many people call the Blue Devils boring. But make no mistake, that was said repeatedly this year by reviewers from coast to coast. The many Blue Devils Alumni can't be happy with the direction the Corps took with their show design this year. Are they ? And no, this is not a knock on the performers in BD this year, as they were positively spectacular.

Edited by Lieut. General Effect

I agree with everyting you said, especially:

"Cadets, Cavaliers, and Blue Devils were all a let down this year"

And don't tell me the Cadets' show was one of the best ever of all time (because that's what the score insinuates).

Actually, in my opinion I will say that I think the Cadets show was one of the best all time shows I have seen.

Nice review though, G. You say what you mean and I applaud you for doing that without making it personal. I do agree with a lot of your statements...but you know me, I just loved BD, Cavaliers and Cadets. I thought those were incredible shows, something new and fresh, and I thought the Cadets execution levels were just through the roof. BD was also on another planet in terms of execution, especially visually.

If I were to defend all of you who don't like these types of shows I will say this: these are shows that will not communicate with the bulk of fans, and drum corps do have to be careful about the type of entertainment that it delivers. I, like many, enjoy the essoteric, contemporary show very much, but this year 3 of the top 4 did shows that were very different. The Cavaliers show, however, was not nearly as out there as BD and Cadets. And their closer was my favorite of the year (with Bluecoats).

But in my opinion, the Cadets show was total genius, exciting and contemporary, and it was amazingly executed. And I do feel they deserved all captions, although I might have given brass to Phantom.

Jonathan

I agree. Here's a conversation I had with a bando about The Cadets show:

Bando: "So, what the heck is this, what are they doing?"

Me: "#### if I know, kinda cool to look at and listen to though, right?"

Bando: "Meh, not really. I still don't get it, this is confusing..."

Me: "Actually, I think that's the point. It's supposed to be about dreams--- surrealism and stuff, the demented parts of the human psyche."

Bando: "Oh, now I get it, it's confusing because it's supposed to be... wait a minute, that's pretty lame."

So, for the uninitiated, he thought The Cadets were "pretty lame" and Phantom rocked the house. Again, being a bando, he thought Phantom should have won it all (lack of understanding of precision; a side effect of years of craptacular marching band). Nice to see there are some in Hopkins' target audience that see differently than him...

Actually, in my opinion I will say that I think the Cadets show was one of the best all time shows I have seen. 

Nice review though, G. You say what you mean and I applaud you for doing that without making it personal.  I do agree with a lot of your statements...but you know me, I just loved BD, Cavaliers and Cadets.  I thought those were incredible shows, something new and fresh, and I thought the Cadets execution levels were just through the roof.  BD was also on another planet in terms of execution, especially visually. 

If I were to defend all of you who don't like these types of shows I will say this: these are shows that will not communicate with the bulk of fans, and drum corps do have to be careful about the type of entertainment that it delivers.  I, like many, enjoy the essoteric, contemporary show very much, but this year 3 of the top 4 did shows that were very different.  The Cavaliers show, however, was not nearly as out there as BD and Cadets.  And their closer was my favorite of the year (with Bluecoats). 

But in my opinion, the Cadets show was total genius, exciting and contemporary, and it was amazingly executed.  And I do feel they deserved all captions, although I might have given brass to Phantom.

Jonathan

I'm not sure exactly what an " essoteric " show is. There are "contemporary " shows however that engage me as a thinking person. Shows that touch me both emotionally and intellectually. The Cadets show, and the Blue Devils show did neither for me this year. Both shows were filled with more gimmicks, props, glitz, and flash, rather than something substantive. But that's what makes this board interesting. People who see things as creatively well done and executed, others see as seriously flawed or disjointed, and gimmicky. Phantom Regiment, by contrast, had a seemless show that simply soared. It melded 2 Composers work in a fresh way that was simply stunning. Unlike the Cadets, and some other Corps, the Phantom Regiment central dancer utilized the Corps Guard equipment in a most effective and creative manner. Their show incororated the dancer into the show, where he was never a distraction to those carrying flags, drums and Bugles. He complimented the show. It was Drum Corps at it's most innovative and creative genius. And done without reliance on ladders, doors, or narrators as new found gimmicks to reach an audience. But again, we all look at things sometimes differently. And nobody's right or wrong, when it comes to personal tastes.

Edited by Lieut. General Effect

I agree with the "gimick" comment completely.  However - Cadets left my jaw dropped open with their execution.  Unbelievable performance.

George & Jonathan,

I agree totally about the Cadets flawless execution (along with the Blue Devils)

Its why I dont cringe at the thought of Cadets winning the title. I am still holding an open mind and waiting to revisit the dvd's this fall to try and see what the heck Im missing in this show. I dont want another year where I dont agree or adore the champon.

Devils. Show concept was poor. Propbably my least favorite ever, since loving them in 1979, but the execution of this show and the power they held back....wow. It makes me even more upset wondering what they could have done with a great show.

~G~