Finals week thoughts and observations.

It's rare to ever hear so many people call the Blue Devils boring.  But make no mistake, that was said repeatedly this year by reviewers from coast to coast.

Actually, to be honest, I heard that comment a lot about Blue Devils back when I marched (late '70s). The overall feeling was that they were so clean and smooth, they were boring. That comment always baffled me, because I felt their entire style was GE all by itself. A very different kind of GE, mind you. But that clean, smooth, crisp delivery blew me away!

I can't comment on their show this year, because I never got a chance to see it live, and will have to wait for someone to tape it for me from ESPN2 before I get a chance to see it on the telecast. But it sounds like the basis for this year's comment come from a very different source: The show design, itself, just wasn't stimulating enough for the audience, and failed to rise to the level of what people have come to expect from BD. If true, then that's too bad, but these things happen. A design staff isn't always going to hit a home run. And, if you think you've started out with a great show idea, but then it doesn't come together in the actual execution, it's extremely difficult to turn that around in one season. (I speak from experience on this.) You either have to drop the concept and go to something completely different (which is a huge challenge in a competitive activity), or you have to find a way to make the concept work (another huge challenge, if it's not working already).

For some reason, I'm reminded of the ice dancers, Torvill and Dean, back when professionals were allowed back in to compete in the Olympics. They were among several professional skaters who came back and competed. They tried to design their show not so much according to what they wanted to do, but what they thought the judges wanted them to do. And, of course, it came off badly because it wasn't really expressive of who they were, and their amazing talent. So they were forced to change half of their show in the weeks before the Olympics. It's remarkable that they were able to pull it together as well as they did, and I'll always believe they should've won the gold medal. Instead, they were stuck with the bronze. But I think their experience is a good illustration of how even the greats have bad days . . . or years. And, especially in a competitive activity, it's an extremely complex process to resolve problems inherent with the program design, itself, during the competitive season.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 'boredom' factor with Devils this year had more to do with a general sense of shapelessness in their show. They performed it extremely well, but the 'arc of the show' (to modify a screenwriting phrase) was a mess. When I saw them live this year, there was a general sense that audiences stopped paying attention about halfway through the show, feeling that there was no payoff in the coming. They were right, there wasn't.

Edited by mobrien

Sue,

the degree of disdain from the 70's doesn't even come close to the level acieved this past week. I still cant beleive how many hundreds of people fled their seats as soon as the Scouts left the field and BD came on..literally hundreds from the mid sections alone. The dozens and dozens of friends I have made over the years that I ran into this past week...none gave a positive word about BD's show and so many of them challenged me to defend them.....Now, it was all the same thing said. Horrible concept and a show that doesnt reach the audience. And everyone agreed it was their <creative liberty> "least favorite BD show ever.

~G~

Side note. Torvill & Dean stayed third based on politics alone. They were by far the most technical, most clean, most creative couple out there, but because their past success and their refusal to alter their program to current standards(which they ultimaltely did), the judges wouldnt let them contend. If you recall, they did win the original dance, there was no way that such solid execution would go unrewarded, by the free dance however, the cahmpions were already decided.

I agree.  Here's a conversation I had with a bando about The Cadets show:

Bando: "So, what the heck is this, what are they doing?"

Me: "#### if I know, kinda cool to look at and listen to though, right?"

Bando: "Meh, not really.  I still don't get it, this is confusing..."

Me: "Actually, I think that's the point.  It's supposed to be about dreams--- surrealism and stuff, the demented parts of the human psyche."

Bando: "Oh, now I get it, it's confusing because it's supposed to be... wait a minute, that's pretty lame."

So, for the uninitiated, he thought The Cadets were "pretty lame" and Phantom rocked the house.  Again, being a bando, he thought Phantom should have won it all (lack of understanding of precision; a side effect of years of craptacular marching band).  Nice to see there are some in Hopkins' target audience that see differently than him...

Hahaha Very nice

G....your review made George Hopkins blog...thought you should know!!! :)

George & Jonathan,

I agree totally about the Cadets flawless execution (along with the Blue Devils)

Its why I dont cringe at the thought of Cadets winning the title. I am still holding an open mind and waiting to revisit the dvd's this fall to try and see what the heck Im missing in this show...

I feel the same. I have this funny feeling that if I had gotten to see the Cadets' show a few times, I might just think it was quite cool.

Here's hoping the DVD will actually allow us to see the show we think we're missing (instead of following the girl around the whole time). :ph34r:

Edited by bradrick

George & Jonathan,

I am still holding an open mind and waiting to revisit the dvd's this fall to try and see what the heck Im missing in this show.

~G~

Here's hint: watch the DVD with the volume up ALL the way and let your ears bask in the glory of the music that's being played. I know that I for one have to listen to a drum corps show at least four or five times in order to enjoy it at all. I really don't know how someone can adore something they know very little about. All shows I consider "amazing" I've memorized from back to front and know where every musical component is. Almost every single show I've ever seen or heard, I didn't care for the first or even second time.

Actually, to be honest, I heard that comment a lot about Blue Devils back when I marched (late '70s). The overall feeling was that they were so clean and smooth, they were boring. That comment always baffled me, because I felt their entire style was GE all by itself. A very different kind of GE, mind you. But that clean, smooth, crisp delivery blew me away!

For the record, it was taken TOTALLY complementary back in the day. :)

As G mentioned, this year is was all about negativity.

After seeing them in Allentown, I was confused as to why so many bagged them early in the season (Grounds for another thread...Ill leave it at that)...they must have come a long way because this show kicked majot booty.

G, they came a #### OF A LONG WAY this season. I'm not afraid to admit that I was one of those naysayers, but that changed the day after Pacific Procession.

The metamorphsis I spoke about here and here

SCV '05 will be one for the ages for me. :)

Nice Review.

Edited by Blue Devil Legend