Gene Herring

Gene Herring, 1933 – 2005

8/17/2005 -- 11:04 AM CST 

Gene Herring, a longtime DCI volunteer (and a former corps director), passed away peacefully and surrounded by family at his home in Canton, Ill., last night after a long illness.

“Gene was a magnificent volunteer and friend to many over the years,” said DCI executive director Dan Acheson. “Gene was loved by many over the years, but truly it is the corps members that I know Gene always loved the most. They saw him as a calming and loving force at events. DCI is extremely grateful for how much of his life was devoted to the drum corps activity. We will continue to keep Gene and his family in our thoughts and prayers during this very tough time. The finale went well on Saturday night because Gene showed the way to the next group of guys to take it on,” Acheson said.

A visitation will be held this Saturday, Aug. 20, 2005, at the Oaks-Hines Memorial Home in Canton. Herring’s family said that memorials in Herring’s memory should be made to DCI.

Gene Herring was a great, great man. He was the person that made sure I made it to camps to march in Quad City Knights. When I wanted to quit, he talked me out of it. He was the one that first convinced me of the power of this great activity to bring happiness to the people that see it, and character to the people that participate in it. And I'll always be grateful to him for that.

Thanks Gene. It was an honor to know you.

Gene Herring was a great, great man.  He was the person that made sure I made it to camps to march in Quad City Knights.  When I wanted to quit, he talked me out of it.  He was the one that first convinced me of the power of this great activity to bring happiness to the people that see it, and character to the people that participate in it.  And I'll always be grateful to him for that.

Thanks Gene.  It was an honor to know you.

One of the sweetest, most genuine people I ever met and worked with in the activity. I'll miss him terribly.

One more time..."Let's DO IT, guys!"

Requiem aeternum, et lux perpetua.

:angel:

Gene was a true gentleman, a friend to all, a quiet person who was always thinking of others. Last year, he invited me to come to the condo he and his wife had in Breckenridge, CO, for a few days after the January DCI seminar in Denver. When I got there, he had a list of things he had arranged for me to do while he was at work at the ski slopes. I didn't expect that but I had a great time.

Gene didn't look good at all this year. I was shocked at how he looked at Lisle and stunned that he came to Indy. But he wanted to contribute as long as he could.`

We all say we do what we do because of the kids. Gene lived that. He was always in the background, being efficient and helping things go smoother.

The activity has lost a real peach of a human.

Mike

*sigh* this is hard news to take. i'll miss him. my parents had told me they hadn't seen him at a show for a while, and they were wondering if i knew anything. well......ya'll know how i'm feeling.

there are only three people that have ever been allowed to call me "janny" and live to tell the tale. my grandmother, charlie groh and gene-o (not necessarily in that order, but you get the idea). i'm really going to miss him.

Ü

jan

Edited by skywnch320970

A full retreat in heaven with each corps of angels playing themselves off the field, their bells turned toward you, Gene. "Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends..."

Gene Herring was the quiet and steady man who just was there for four generations of drum corps kids. Needed a podium built? Geno would handle it. Banners hung? Gene's got it. Homesick and wanna quit? Not after talking to Gene. Needed a ride? A hug? A kick in the butt? Gene Herring was there. Isn't that the very definition of a good parent? That's what Geno was....a Dad for drum corps.

To Janice, JP and all of Gene's real family....please know how much we love you for sharing Gene with us so generously.

Good-bye Geno. Tell Bill and Cal we miss them too.

Dan Potter

Geneseo Knights

1979-81

Gene was a true gentleman, a friend to all, a quiet person who was always thinking of others. Last year, he invited me to come to the condo he and his wife had in Breckenridge, CO, for a few days after the January DCI seminar in Denver. When I got there, he had a list of things he had arranged for me to do while he was at work at the ski slopes. I didn't expect that but I had a great time.

Gene didn't look good at all this year. I was shocked at how he looked at Lisle and stunned that he came to Indy. But he wanted to contribute as long as he could.`

We all say we do what we do because of the kids. Gene lived that. He was always in the background, being efficient and helping things go smoother.

The activity has lost a real peach of a human.

Mike

Well stated Mister Boo. Gene will be missed ,yet i know he will be watching over every show from his now lofty perch. Here's to you Gene.

Jeff Bridges

For more postings, news, and stories about Gene, you can check Knightscorps.org, many people are posting memories and good wishes in the guestbook. I know that JP Herring (one of Geno's sons) will be printing off all the guestbook entries and having them at the visitation on Saturday. If you would like to pass along your well-wishes, feel free to add something to the guestbook (at the bottom of the page).