best venue & city

I was thinking about Carter-Finley the other day (I'm a State student).  But it took me back to a conversation I was having with some work friends, discussing whether we could host a big climate conference in Raleigh (I'm in meteorology).  And we couldn't think of anything to do in Raleigh (for example, we had a climate conference in Savannah in June...Savannah has the river, the river front, just darn pretty in general).  I know I made the same complaint about Charlotte above, but in Raleigh, even worse I think.

Yes Raleigh is a much worse vacation spot than Charlotte. Great place to go to college, great place to raise a family, but not a great place to take a week vacation if you want to do things other than watch drum corps.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Cinci!  My hometown, do it!

The only prob with Nippert is the stupid huge air conditioning units right next to the field in the end zone -- make a HUGE amount of noise. I remember this from when Fairfield H.S. used to do their DCI show there.  Also the traffic patterns into and out of UC are more difficult.  Might be better off going up the road to Univ of Dayton's field or another larger high school stadium in the Cinci area.

I have been on and off the UC campus since the mid-80s and honestly that physical plant seems quieter nowadays. In the years the local DCI show was there the noise wasn't that bad after the first five minutes. Would be an excellent DivII/III venue, but parking on campus is somewhat complex. People would have to be informed of the various garages on campus. What lot space that is available would be needed for buses.

Paul Brown would be such an excellent venue. The sideline wall is as tall as the one at the old Dekalb stadium for those who ever marched DCM there. The turf is the 'realturf' variety which is alot like grass. It could happen. Hamilton Co. has really wanted to expand use of the stadium despite Mike Brown's (Bengals owner) reservations. Central location, lots of local corps fans, lots of housing, nice mix of things to do. Sounds about perfect. Cincinnati 08!

Edited by mchromik

However, Soldier Field (soon to be the smallest NFL stadium after Indy's RCA Dome is torn down) has parking that is expensive and requires quite a walk (and the shuttle buses can't be counted on)...(actually, parking closer to downtown makes more sense), the noisy Lake Shore Drive runs right next to the concert side, housing would have to be out in the suburbs, traffic (trust me on this one) to get into the central city is quite bad...some of the worst traffic jams in the country if one is staying at a hotel outside the city, downtown hotels are expensive.

Parking in the Museum Campus lots/garages is no more expensive than at any other urban parking lot in a major city ($13-25, depending which lot you use). And the combination of institutions that share the parking with Soldier Field makes it a very sensible place to leave your car. Look at it from the perspective of being able to park your car in the morning, spend 6 hours in your choice of the Field Museum, the Planetarium, the Shedd Aquarium - all of them within a few minutes walk of each other on one large 'campus' downtown Chicago - THEN heading into Soldier Field at 4 o'clock for Semis, and you've paid one parking fee to do a LOT of different things.

In addition, there are free trolleys from downtown to get people out to the campus/stadium, and public transit is easy and plentifiul. While traffic coming into the city gets ugly starting about 4 o'clock in the afternoon, it's much easier earlier in the day. Airfares into Chicago are quite a bit less than into many other cities, since everyone and their grandmother uses the town as their hub, and there are literally hundreds of flights coming in every day from almost any airport in the country.

As far as noise goes, my experience with the new design is that the sheer wall on the west side does a great job of acting as a traffic noise barrier. The fans are inside a giant shell that was constructed to protect them from the northwest wind patterns during Bears games in winter - it keeps Lake Shore Drive noise down as a side benefit.

Hotel rooms downtown Chicago range from $90 up, pricier than smaller cities, but in terms of getting what you pay for, to be that close to one of the world's greatest collection of museums, restaurants, stores, and public parks and attractions for a few dollars more than you'd pay to be out if the middle of nowhere, or in a town where "museum' means the a collection of thimbles that some local crackpot amassed and put on display, doesn't seem like a bad deal, imho.

I'd imagine that most corps staying ANYWHERE near a city hosting Nationals would be in a suburban location (even in Madison, Cavies stayed 30 miles away from downtown in '02), so that wouldn't be anything unusual.

Edited by mobrien

As a Chicagoland native, I totally agree with Mike Boo on Soldier Field -- traffic, parking, lodging costs, eating costs are all going to be a problem for many people. Native Chicago people are used to this stuff but the non-natives are gonna complain big time. There are other venues that are better.

I can certianly vouch for both Nippert Stadium and Paul Brown Stadium in Cincinnati Both stadiums have FieldTurf which means no grass will be damaged. Nippert Stadium (Univ. of Cincinnati) would be a great site for Division II and III with wonderful facilities for warmups housing, etc. Paul Brown Stadium (home of the Bengals) has very high stands and the newest/nicest amenities. Parking is cheap in Cincinnati and there is plenty of places to park as well. Please take a look at the pictures, as well as the link provided!

nippertWeb.jpgpbs040928.jpg

http://www.bengals.com/paulbrownstadium/

In reply to the thought of finals in Green Bay.....

It could happen...finally because the new owner of the Packers actually wants things besides football to be at Lambeau..(for instance an outdoor hockey game this year between Univesity of Wisconsin and Ohio State..numerous concerts....actually snowmobile racing)......so the stadium would be nice....nice angle stuff like that....plenty of parking...everything within a block or two at THE MOST....(plus the infamous lawnparking)

Hotels..excellent...many people could be staying within walking distance of the stadium..the others, shuttles and such....

Also several nice places to hold 2/3 is Lambeau would not allow it like the stadiums haven't the last 3 years.....

Problems....I am from Green Bay and can honestly say this......there is nothing here....BUT the packers....I guess you could do the whole traning camp watching thing (you'd be surprised as to how BIG that is here)....but other than that everything else fun is an hour or 2 away.....we have a mall here, and the home of the big orange Schnider National Trucks.

Good choice...just consider how many things to do in the area