What Are Your Top Five “Entertaining” Shows?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HM: Southwind and Mandarins. I would say Colts but they had some really rough moments with brass intonation, tone quality and soloists. Great overall product, though.

1. Phantom Regiment

2. Bluecoats

3. Carolina Crown

4. Boston Crusaders

5. Madison Scouts

Cadets, Cavaliers, BD, Crossmen, BK, SCV all get honorable mention.

Jonathan

SCV

Phantom

Crown

Boston

Glassmen

Hmm... I think I'm going to take KevinGamin's approach on this topic. The following are all the corps who had shows that I enjoyed immensely:

Cadets

Phantom Regiment

Bluecoats

Madison Scouts

Carolina Crown

SCV

Glassmen

Spirit

Crossmen

Capital Regiment

Southwind

East Coast Jazz

But my top 5 are (in order, with excerpts from a review that I will be posting at some point):

Carolina Crown -- This design team is phenomenal. I loved the special effects in the drill during the opener and the hornline is just phenomenal. They're not your typical "in your face" drum corps hornline, but their sound is unparalleled in my opinion. Such a rich, beautiful sound, especially from the mellos. The backfield segment in the closer gets me everytime. I love hearing the mellophone parts bouncing off the other side of the stadium. Quite an effect. The guard is amazing, as well, doing some very expressive dance and double flag work. The uniforms are very simple but effective. They continue where they left off from last year and used popular music in their show. It seems to work very well for them. Definitely one of the best ballads of the year, and the visuals just sold it. Outstanding design and performance from Crown this year. Their shows just seem like so much fun to march. They have me seriously considering auditioning there next year (if I can afford to fly down so often, which doesn't look too promising :( )

Phantom Regiment -- What a show!!! These guys have so much talent. The soprano double tonguing throughout the show was spotless. The member playing Gene Kelly's character is obviously VERY talented and deserving of his center-stage presence. Whoever is writing their drill needs to keep pumping out this stuff. It's very good and compliments the show music well. Excellent staging throughout. This show had it all, and was definitely one of the design team's better efforts in recent PR history.

Crossmen -- These kids definitely perform with a lot of heart! The guard was among the most colorful of the weekend with some great uniforms, and I loved the little mini-story in the show with the two lovers. They seemed to have cleaned up a lot since I saw them earlier in the season and blew my face off at the end of their second tune! How long did they hold that chord for?!? Simply amazing. I don't think execution was the reason for them not making finals, as the kids sold this show and performed it very well. Lots of people around me were bobbing their heads along or tapping their foot. A very entertaining and well performed show from the Crossmen.

Bluecoats -- You know, the Bluecoats never really caught my attention before this year. I enjoyed some of their shows in recent years, but they never really drew me in for the full 11 1/2 minutes. This year was a different story. They were playing very recognizable music that are among my favorites. Caravan was a great intro and set the stage well and Incantation was spectacular. I'm glad they chose that piece. The drill seemed very difficult and for the most part was very clean. The ballad was among my favorites of the night and it ended with a beautiful set from endzone to endzone. Great field coverage throughout the show with some very difficult drill and guard work that complimented the music well. I could personally do without the drumspeak (I could barely hear it, it didn't seem to fit well into the show, and the guy just didn't have the voice for it), but other than that, this performance had me captivated. Excellent choice of music and great writing this year. They made me a fan this past weekend.

Madison Scouts -- What a show! West Side Story meets Carmen. I loved the opening drill move when the two gangs "collide." How did they get that sound effect out of the pit? Very cool moment in the show. Carmen was a great addition to the show, but I really wish she would have done some equipment work. The hornline blew my face off and the drumline was a great improvement. The McNutt/Beddis combo seems to be working well for them. They had one of the more crowd-friendly shows of the weekend, and it was among the most enjoyable for me.

One final note that I want to add... East Coast Jazz belongs in division 1, and if they can get the membership and financial stability to do so, they should move up. Based on talent alone, these kids are amazing. Their hornline can rival several division 1 hornlines and their drumline was tearing it up! The intro to their show with the corps singing "Amazing Grace" over what the percussion was playing was very effective and set the stage well.

The Cadets

Phantom Regiment

Crossmen

Crown

Madison

In a down year for entertainment overall in DCI, the top 5 below I thought were superb:

1. Phantom Regiment

2. Carolina Crown

3. Boston Crusaders

4. Cadets

5. Southwind