Has the art of the ending been forgotten?

There have been many fantastic reviews on this site this year (thanks to all those people) and one of the recurring themes has been the subject of the choppiness of some of the arranging. As someone with a background in the visual side of the activity I can appreciate why that evolution has occurred, though with my 'fan' hat on I can't say that I really like it.

Anyway, what I've not seen too much mention of is the impact these segmented arrangements have on the endings of shows...

I still love getting the DVD's through to paw over, but the release of the CD's is pretty much a non event for me now, and when I think about it, it's because of the nature of the arranging and the fact that a lot of these shows don’t make sense unless you put the visual with the audio. You can listen to them and apprieciate it but I don’t think the music on its own has enough continuity to take you on the journey that ends in goosebumps. I think that's fair comment?

This preamble leads to me to the point I want to make….endings. Despite the continuing evolution of drum corps and the increasing amount corps pack into an 11/12 minute show, has the art of a powerhouse ending fallen by the wayside?

Looking back over the last few years, PR03 stands out like a sore thumb to me as a show with an ending that raised the hair on the back of the neck. I hope I don't sound like too much of an old git (Im not), but I don’t think corps do endings like they used to!! They seem to be either too low key or too contrived. How many corps now just go for an extended chord as a way to try and drive a reaction?

In 05 there are a number of shows I really like, but I can't think of any corps with a fanastic musical ending. Cadets is sudden but works in the context of the show, Cavies is.. well... a cavies ending (love the visual and the excellence side of things but have they ever had a blow-us-all-away ending?). PR this year had a great show but imo the weakest portion was the last 30 seconds, same with madison, BD…

So, has the art of the ending been sacrificed for other considerations?

…as an side can anyone name a year where cavies had an ending that gets the hairs to stand up and you wanting to give a spotaneous standing O, wherever you might be listening?? For each of the last 5 years they reaction they get, I think has been due to appreciation of the 11 minutes that has gone before, and not a spontaneous reaction to the actual ending itself. I think there is a distinction between the two and when you get both you can really tell!

If anyone from cavies ever happens to read this, hope the above doesn’t read as cavie bashing, call it my personal challenge to you guys for next year! :)

Cheers.

ps - goosebump winner for me from the audio this year - Cadets ballad. Well done!!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"PR this year had a great show but imo the weakest portion was the last 30 seconds"

This is the only thing that I don't agree with. Phantom had the crowd on their feet earlier at the end of the show than any other corps that night. I think the crowd reaction to them was fantastic. I thought it was a great ending.

Edited by aperugini

A good ending doesn't have to be loud.

~>conner

…as an side can anyone name a year where cavies had an ending that gets the hairs to stand up and you wanting to give a spotaneous standing O, wherever you might be listening??  For each of the last 5 years they reaction they get, I think has been due to appreciation of the 11 minutes that has gone before, and not a spontaneous reaction to the actual ending itself. I think there is a distinction between the two and when you get both you can really tell!

1992 the Cavies had the extrended cord with the drummers trying to break their drums (datdatdat,.....Dat Dat Dat,.......DAt DAt DAt.........DAT DAT DAT). I believe this fits the bill that you are talking about.

Edited by cage

1992 the Cavies had the extrended cord with the drummers trying to break their drums (datdatdat,.....Dat Dat Dat,.......DAt    DAt    DAt.........DAT      DAT      DAT).  I believe this fits the bill that you are talking about.

We came up with two vocal versions to the end of thier show. Instead of "Dat Dat Dat" insert either one of the following phrases:

We're Not Done

-or-

Stand Up Now

Ahhhh the memories ,

-Travis

We came up with two vocal versions to the end of thier show. Instead of "Dat Dat Dat" insert either one of the following phrases:

We're Not Done

-or-

Stand Up Now

Ahhhh the memories ,

-Travis

Hmmm...92....that or 95 are two of their better ones but not branstormers..imo. Not if you compare to some of the Cadets, Regiment, Vanguard, Devs or Madison endings around that time. Great show 92, but does the last 30 seconds of that show rock you in the same way as say Madison 95, Dev's 92 or Regiment 89?

We're Not Done

-or-

Stand Up Now

Ahhhh the memories ,

-Travis

we're not done.... We're Not Done... We're Not Done.... WE'RE NOT DONE.... NOW WE'RE DONE!!

Classic ending

Let's not forget Cavaliers in 1991-- that drill and the colorguard toss over the collapsing hornline. Crowd starts throwing babies.

Add of course Madison 1988, SCV 1987, Phantom 1993. And Cavaliers and Cadets both did pretty good in 2000.

But my favorite still would have to be Scouts 1995-- God I wish I had been there for that! I get goosebumps just watching the reaction of the crowd from the soprano solos to the end. EVERY TIME. (wish the CD recording was better though)

Overall, I think the Scouts have always known how best to script an ending.

I agree with the original pos that there are not many corps that have the "holy sh&* ending. In recent memory I will say that PR 03 and Cavies 2000 stick out in my mind. I also think that Regiment 01 had an unbelievable ending...lots of energy. The crwod was on their feet for the last 30 seconds of the show. I swear that box comes out of no where.