East Coast Jazz going to D1?

very good point mellohorn. and i completly agree, moreso id like to agree with your stance of the difference is the sheets. why should there be a difference in the way the two are judged and scored? would i be wrong in saying that if a div 2/3 were scored on d1 sheets thier score would drop dramatically?

if thats the case then one way (albeit a seemingly jaded view) to look at the difference in scoring is used to make the 2/3 members feel as though they are acomplishing at the same level as the d1 corps. wether or not thats the actual intention of the scoring i dont know, but i can tell you thats the way it SEEMS to some people.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll post this again, just to prove that outside people not involved with the corps believe that ECJ has the demand of a div 1 corps.

First on were East Coast Jazz from Malden, MA. I had never seem them

before. They are ranked #1 in Division II this season so this was a

good opportunity to see what a top D II corps is like...good size, 36

horns around 7 snares and 4 multi-toms plus a full pit. Very good

musically. These are not beginners, just a smaller corps than D I.

They played a lot of nice big band arrangements with good solo work. I

really liked their treatment of "Body and Soul". They march a drill

very reminiscent of the DI corps, just a little more limited with

respect to field coverage because of their smaller size.

I don't think there's much difference between D2/D1 corps drill other than the lack of field coverage, as this guy said.

And even ignoring this anecdotal evidence - look at past div 2/3 corps that have gone on to compete in div 1 quarterfinals (back when they could do it). Mandarins came in 16th in 01, SCVC came in 17th in 00, Magic came in 11th in 02... clearly these div 2 corps were able to fend for themselves in Div 1. I see no reason why ECJ would be any different.

Well if there's any question on our book, I'll take out my music, and compare to some top 17 music. We'll see then :blink: do I get a prze if I win?

clearly i'm just fooling around here. none of us will ever know, but I'm pretty sure it could have been possible for us to make semis.

To answer the original question of the thread, ECJ's director has talked about going D1 for the last couple of seasons, as I recall.

As I've read, they're looking at either '06 or '07 for their target.

To answer the original question of the thread, ECJ's director has talked about going D1 for the last couple of seasons, as I recall.

As I've read, they're looking at either '06 or '07 for their target.

From what I've been told, ECJ did apply for Division 1 status for next year. What that means? No one really knows.

Many people don't think it will happen due to the financial state East Coast is in. Although all in the same, where they are isn't too far off from others either, financially.

From what I've been told, ECJ did apply for Division 1 status for next year. What that means? No one really knows.

Many people don't think it will happen due to the financial state East Coast is in. Although all in the same, where they are isn't too far off from others either, financially.

Hmm.

I was under the impression that if they were to go Div I, they would get more sponsers and $.

:shrug:

ECJ is looking to go DI in the near future, and we have our financial situation under control. The admin. for the drum corps has relized all of things you are saying and are well on their way to fix all of the problems you speak of.

As to the topic of us going DI, I have been doing drum corps for 5 years and I have had people tell me that with the staff and the talent we have, even thou we need a little more membership, we def could make semis are first year out. If things keep on getting better like they have been, I can see ECJ making top 12 in the future.