East Coast Jazz going to D1?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, congrats ECJ on a great season, you guys (and gals) really put out a quality show.

Going Div 1 is a huge step. For a smaller regional corps like ECJ, a few years of a full tour would be a smart thing to do before making that step. Doing so would show that they have the financial support to handle a div 1 tour.

More touring=more exposure=more members.

As for show difficulty, I do feel that they need to step it up a bit. Their shows are great at a Div 2 level, but they do not push the envelope of what you should be doing if they want to be successful in Div 1. More exposure in the hornbook, more drill (less of the park-n-blows), and a little more velocity tempo wise.

I felt like I was watching a corps in slow motion when I would concentrate on their drill, and it really felt Div 2/3 ish watching (not that anything is wrong with that).

Edited by TuoKaerf

So yea,

What the difference between, Div 1 and Div 2?

Not much, probally nothing.

Some Div 2 corps do full tours just like Div 1 corps... some Div 1 corps only do regional tours like most Div 2.

Can't really say number b/c Div 1 corps can get on the small side.

Average age of the corps isnt' much of a difference for some Div 2 corps... average age for ECJ was aroudn 18.. maybe 19

Only real difference now between the two division are the sheets.

So there's no real difference.

Other than the average size of a Div 1 hornline is about 65 horns, I guess there isn't much difference. You might wanna check your age numbers to, seems to me the Cavaliers had over 20 age outs this year. When you get up to the upper echolon of D1 Corps the are a lot older than 18 and 19.

Other than the average size of a Div 1 hornline is about 65 horns, I guess there isn't much difference. You might wanna check your age numbers to, seems to me the Cavaliers had over 20 age outs this year. When you get up to the upper echolon of D1 Corps the are a lot older than 18 and 19.

Right, but when we're talking about corps that are just making semis or barely making finals, i really don't think there's that much difference between div 1 and div 2 - upper echelon div 2 corps are a lot older than you might expect - and lower echelon hornlines aren't always that big.

Edit: I'm not implying that ECJ could be as successful as some people are suggesting, but rather that there really isn't that much of a difference between lower echelon d1 corps and the top d2 corps.

Edited by TTitans909

First off, congrats ECJ on a great season, you guys (and gals) really put out a quality show.

Going Div 1 is a huge step.  For a smaller regional corps like ECJ, a few years of a full tour would be a smart thing to do before making that step.  Doing so would show that they have the financial support to handle a div 1 tour. 

More touring=more exposure=more members. 

As for show difficulty, I do feel that they need to step it up a bit.  Their shows are great at a Div 2 level, but they do not push the envelope of what you should be doing if they want to be successful in Div 1.  More exposure in the hornbook, more drill (less of the park-n-blows), and a little more velocity tempo wise. 

I felt like I was watching a corps in slow motion when I would concentrate on their drill, and it really felt Div 2/3 ish watching (not that anything is wrong with that).

3 words:

Regional Division 1.

In fact, that may be what corps moving up from D2 HAVE to do for their first couple seasons nowadays.

• 2 weeks later...
3 words:

Regional Division 1.

In fact, that may be what corps moving up from D2 HAVE to do for their first couple seasons nowadays.

I actually think this would be a great idea for ECJ. I too think they would have had an excellent chance of making Semi-Finals this year had they gone on to compete in Div I. Since they already tour as a regional Div II corps, why no go to regional Div I corps if they are looking to move up (and I hope they do if the financial situation is in order)?

ECJ could very well be successful in div I. You can't possibly say we didnt have a chance of making semifinals had we competed in division I this year. Now I don't know if ECJ is planning on going div I next year, but from what I recall, it is in the future somewhere down the line.

which is better making semis in div 1....or getting the ring in division 2...

I think a lot of corps in Div 1 should rethink their status, because some would be amazing div 2 corps

So yea,

What the difference between, Div 1 and Div 2?

Not much, probally nothing.

Some Div 2 corps do full tours just like Div 1 corps... some Div 1 corps only do regional tours like most Div 2.

Can't really say number b/c Div 1 corps can get on the small side.

Average age of the corps isnt' much of a difference for some Div 2 corps... average age for ECJ was aroudn 18.. maybe 19

Only real difference now between the two division are the sheets.

So there's no real difference.

BUT,

ECJ does not do a full tour, last time I checked they did less than 20 shows. How many corps under 100 members made finals....Why move up to compete in a division when you are almost gauranteed to get smoked by about 10-12 corps, and compete with the rest. Build up some momentum....win another div 2 champioship. If you win two in a row then maybe give regional div 1 a try. Naysayers...if they can't win a second div 2 title, or come in a close second, they probably shouldnt try division one.

Let me just say though....I loved ECJ's show. its one of the three APD's I bought this year along with Cap Sounds and Phantom Regiments. You guys were great and I enjoyed seeing you the last part of tour, keep up the good work.