International members

Just wondering how many corps out there had members from another country? What country were they from? How did they find out about the corps? Were there a lot of problems due to language barriers(especially from a technical standpoint in performance)

I think it is amazing that someone would travel thousands of miles just to audition for a corps. Really shows appreciation for what the corps are doing.

My roommate is from Honduras, and many of my good friends are from Laos. It is always interesting learning about other cultures. I can't imagine just packing up, going to another country, and hopping on a bus to live for the summer with 175 strangers who don't speak my language. What an amazing and weird experience that must be.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, since you're curious, I'll start this one off.

ECJ had 5 members from Japan, 1 member from Canada, and 2 from Holland. One of Japanese kids spoke very good English, and there never seemed to be a translating problem. so yeah, we had 8 out of country kids, as well as members from CA, MS, OH, ILL, FL, and other various states. It was a good time.

Xmen had several this year. There were three Japanese kids who barely spoke any English at all but seemed to understand instructions well enough. They were all ageouts and I will miss them especially a trumpet player named Rio (I guess that's how it's spelled). We had a German guy who spoke English a little too well and there were a handful of members from Britain.

Glassmen had 4 Japanese girls (2 horns, 1 pit, 1 guard) and 1 CANADIAN in the guard!!!!!!!!!!! Edited by Stanciu

Yamato :blink:

~>conner

Southwind had 6 members from Japan. 3 guys (2 snares and 1 cymbal), and 3 girls (2 mellos and 1 contra). It was the first year for both mellos and they both aged out, but the contra player returned from last year and didn't age out this year. I'm not sure about the guys. My daughter tells me that because it was a returning year for the contra player, her english was very good, and she said that the mellos weren't too bad to begin with and by the end of the summer their english was very good as well. Once again, not sure about the guys as my daughter is in the horn line.

I do know that my daughter picked up a little japanese over the course of the summer :).

Minami kaze ichiban!!

There have been over 150 kids from The Netherlands marching in DCI corps since the middle of the 1980's. Me being one of them. The most popular corps with Dutch people (as a place to march) have to be:

Boston Crusaders

Dutch Boy (go figure) in the past

Crossmen

Blue Devils

Madison Scouts

Phantom Regiment

SCV

Pioneer

Colts

I heard bluecoats had a famale in their snare line from Japan

Pioneer had 7 people from Japan (4 snare, 2 tenor and 1 pit), 4 people from South Africa (1 mello, 1 sop, 1 bari and 1 staff), 1 sop from Holland and 3 or 4 from Canada (all guard). The South Africans all spoke good English and luckily there was a guy in our bassline from here that is part Japanese who translated most of the time.

Ok, not counting Canada (sorry)

When I marched in the mid to late 80s with regiment, we had one or two every year. Mostly kids from England. every year there are more and more. When I was instructing in 96 we had a pile of them including one from japan. Its not unusual anymore.