Champion + Crowd Favorite

In 2005, Phantom Regiment was the undisputed crowd favorite. In 2004 it was probably the Vanguard. 2003, it was Phantom again. None of these shows won, or were even top 2. I was wondering, what years in DCI have produced a champion which was also the crowd favorite (meaning: got the biggest, most sincere ovation at finals and is generally thought of as many people's favorite show of that year)?

Has this happened recently? 2002 Cavies may have been the crowd favorite, but there are still many who find the show boring. With a show like Phantom's this year, I don't think anyone disliked it, and it was at least in almost everyone's top 5 favorites of the year. I am interested to hear people's opinions on this topic. When a show can win the judge's and the audience's vote, it truly is an amazing production. Please discuss.

:)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1976 was the only year of the four DCI titles I was a part of that we were the crowd favorite.

1977 it was PR.

1979 it was PR

1980 it was 27th.

I dunno, but keep in mind that that average persona that posts on DCP and votes for "crowd favorite" polls, does not make up most of the audience that watchs throughout a season, or even just at finals. One could argue even that band kids make up a very large percent of drum corps fans. And most of them end up picking that years champion as their favorite, until the next year:) So in that sense, every champion is a crowd fav.

I actually wasn't a fan of PR this year, but they had to be my favorite because I just the rest were bad. I dunno if Cavies 02 was the crowd favorite. Maybe Cadets 2000? Vanguard 89? Madison 75?

Guest DrumCorpFan

1986 Blue Devils come to mind.

1987 Cadets had a very exciting show, but SCV was the crowd favorite. Still Cadets were appreciated in 1987.

Could make an argument for '83 Cadets and '84 Cadets as well. BD had a great show in '84 as well.

That's all that comes to mind for me in this category. Understand that my knowledge only goes back to about 1979.

In 2005, Phantom Regiment was the undisputed crowd favorite.  In 2004 it was probably  the Vanguard.  2003, it was Phantom again.  None of these shows won, or were even top 2.  I was wondering, what years in DCI have produced a champion which was also the crowd favorite (meaning:  got the biggest, most sincere ovation at finals and is generally thought of as many people's favorite show of that year)?

Has this happened recently?  2002 Cavies may have been the crowd favorite, but there are still many who find the show boring.  With a show like Phantom's this year, I don't think anyone disliked it, and it was at least in almost everyone's top 5 favorites of the year.  I am interested to hear people's opinions on this topic.  When a show can win the judge's and the audience's vote, it truly is an amazing production.  Please discuss.

:)

75 Madison, 84 Cadets, 88 Madison, 89 Santa Clara , 94 Blue Devils, are a few that immediately come to mind.

Edited by Lieut. General Effect

ah yes...BD 94...good show

A lot of 27th lancer shows rite?

Well 1996, crowd went crazy for phantom but it was also another stand o for blue devils but that sounded like a golf clap compared to phantoms show.

1997 maybe with the cadets show and the blue devils show.