Champion + Crowd Favorite

Guest DrumCorpFan
75 Madison, 84 Cadets,  88 Madison, 89 Santa Clara , 94 Blue Devils, are a few that immediately come to mind.

I can't speak for Scouts in '75, but the others were not crowd favorites, despite having good shows.

In '87 it was SCV.

In '89 PR.

In '94, Madison.

This is not to say the corps you mention did not have shows that fans liked, they did. I'm just saying the corps I mentioned drew bigger ovations and making them the "fan favorites."

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't speak for Scouts in '75, but the others were not crowd favorites, despite having good shows.

In '87 it was SCV.

In '89 PR.

In '94, Madison.

This is not to say the corps you mention did not have shows that fans liked, they did.  I'm just saying the corps I mentioned drew bigger ovations and making them the "fan favorites."

I was in Foxboro in 94. Blue Devils were the crowd favorite. Madison a close second. Madison 95 though was the crowd favorite. 89 Santa Clara's Phantom of the Opera was a classic. Hands down the best in 89.That's why it was voted best show ever by DCI fans last winter. ( I actually thought SCV 88 version was better ) Although 89 Phantom was also a heck of a show, and one of my favorites. I'll also put in a plug for Blue Devils 86. They won that year, and If there was a better crowd favorite than them that year, I forget who that was.

1976 was the only year of the four DCI titles I was a part of that we were the crowd favorite.

Um... I thought Bridgemen were the crowd favorite in 76, or maybe Madison, but BD? It's obviously a great show and no offense intended at all, but a lot of fans were left cold by it at the time. It was considered a bit too intellectual and some even called it boring. It's one of my all time favorites but calling it the crowd favorite for the year is a stretch.

can't believe nobody's mentioned Cadets 2000

That's because it was Boston. The crowd ate up the whole story of this corps coming out of nowhere and in their second year of finals getting a live spot on tv. I loved a lot about Cadets in 2000, but that middle segment almost put me to sleep just like the ABC's show. Don't get upset, just my opinion.

In 2005, Phantom Regiment was the undisputed crowd favorite.  In 2004 it was probably  the Vanguard.  2003, it was Phantom again.  None of these shows won, or were even top 2.  I was wondering, what years in DCI have produced a champion which was also the crowd favorite (meaning:  got the biggest, most sincere ovation at finals and is generally thought of as many people's favorite show of that year)?

Has this happened recently?  2002 Cavies may have been the crowd favorite, but there are still many who find the show boring.  With a show like Phantom's this year, I don't think anyone disliked it, and it was at least in almost everyone's top 5 favorites of the year.  I am interested to hear people's opinions on this topic.  When a show can win the judge's and the audience's vote, it truly is an amazing production.  Please discuss.

:)

I don't think a word like "undisputed" is ever accurate.. especially in this activity.

I would venture a guess and say even when a popular show HAS won.. there was be a strong contingent of people who thought a different show was the "undisputed crowd favorite" that year and got hosed in Xth place.

:)

Stef