Corps shows that you were skeptical about

I was thinking about it, and many people say that when they heard the annoucenment of Gershwin for PR 2005, or Canon in D for 2003, that they thought it wasn't going to be a good choice, but then both of these shows turned out to be the fan favorite for their respective years. Are there any other shows that when announced have been thought by many to be a bad choice, but then turned out good?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking about it, and many people say that when they heard the annoucenment of Gershwin for PR 2005, or Canon in D for 2003, that they thought it wasn't going to be a good choice, but then both of these shows turned out to be the fan favorite for their respective years. Are there any other shows that when announced have been thought by many to be a bad choice, but then turned out good?

if my memory serves me correct, there were about 5 corps this year that all they did was announce!

THROUGH THE ENTIRE SHOW!!!!! <**>

I would agree with both Gershwin and Canon. Add Adagio for Strings (SCV 2000), Bohemian Rhapsody (Crown 2004), and Angel (Crown 2005) to that list. Fortunately, they've all blown me away!

I :huh: -ed when I heard PR was playing Canon, and they most certainly did not disappoint.

I was like :worthy: when I heard Cavies were going to do Bond in '04, but then :worthy:

Conversely, I was exited about the Dance Derby, then, well.... meh (no offense BD, I suppose I can't love EVERY show that you put out)

I REALLY thought that PR and Gershwin was water and oil... not only not PR's "style" but playing two tunes that their upper Midwest rival did so well.... but they were incredible....

After that... :)

Back to the topic...

I was very skeptical when i heard about Phantom's show idea for this year, and while i did enjoy it, it still wasn't my favorite of the year (though certainly better than 04's show).

i was a little skeptical when i heard about cavies doing 007 in 04 (mostly because i'm not a big cavies fan and would've preferred one of my fav. corps doing 007), but that ended up being my favorite show of the year.

those are just personal expectations/preferences though - i'm not so sure about everybody else.

I thought Phantom Regiment's show announcements in both '04 and '05 sounded great ... and I loved both shows! Guess I was right. :huh:

On the other hand, I was sure skeptical about the Cadets' show this past year and was still skeptical right up until I actually saw the show at Finals. They made me believe, though. No way I thought that show was going to fly, but they managed to pull it off. Somehow. B)

Another that really sticks out in my head is Glassmen '95. There's no way I thought they were gonna do much of anything with a show based largely on music by Bach. I mean, I love Bach but it's the furthest thing from what you'd expect would work in drum corps but it turned out to be a really solid show.

edit: And yes, there are definitely *plenty* of shows that I had high hopes for ... which turned out to be disappointments. That could be a whole 'nother thread, though. :worthy:

Edited by Orpheus

I was worried by SOUTHWIND's initial announcement for 2005.......that was an awful lot of source material.......

But then I saw the corps........was fortunate to see them perform five or six times this summer.......and loved it. Southwind really took it up a level this summer and I was pleased to see them do that.

David

Edited by notelvis