33 years of DCI champions

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I reply...

AMEN to the comment about only commenting in this thread on shows you saw live.

That eliminates alot of "stuff" from the get go.

87 - Sorry, SCV deserved the win Heres the first I dont agree with

I was in awe of both SCV and Garfield in 87. How do you go about picking the winner of the G.E. Visual caption that year alone? Truly "apples to oranges". Garfield did their take on their material beautifully. SCV rocked the house with their interpretation of their material. I think it probably boils down to "What do I like better?" as opposed to which one deserved to win. It's a shame we have to decide between such amazing and worthy productions.

88 - Ok, going into nats undefeated and the Blue Devils wind up third ??

They just didnt get the credit they deserved for the difficulty they really had in their show. While some really smart people explained to me why Scouts won ! And I tend to agree on a good day, The Blue Devils were robbed of their title in 1988, notice how the experimental performance order died, real quick ?Ok, so this is two I dont agree with.

It's probably easy to feel that way. 88 BD was squeaky clean fairly early on. Madison came into Kansas City as a raging inferno of raw drum corps. Maybe that's what the judges were into that night? (Guess I should check out the recaps. Anybody know how Madison did in the individual captions? It seems like the crowd pleasing performances were being favored back then?)

89 - Loved Phantom, however, SCV had that little extra something to stay ahead of PR, I call it GE, my pal Jeff Ream, blames PR's drum line.

Or another way of looking at it might be to give credit to SCV's drumline for their percussion victory - which helped lead to SCV's overall victory. (Instead of blaming PR's drum line. B) ) I actually have looked at THIS recap recently. Thank you 89 SCV drums! :rolleyes:

90 - All six were championship caliber, Cadets had the most balanced show, I agree, Cadets deserved the win.

I thought the Cadets were the obvious choice for the champion spot in 90 also. At the time, it seemed they were the "obvious" choice because even though there were lots of good corps and lots of really good shows - nobody else was really nailing it that year.

Edited by bradrick

Here is my take on the year's I've been to Championships:

1978 - SCV squeeked it out (despite it not being their best performance). No dispute.

1979 - BD was just too clean for PR to overtake. No dispute.

1980 - Again, BD was just too clean for 27 to overtake. Loved 27 though. No dispute.

1981 - SCV took it without question in my mind.

1982 - BD - no way anyone could touch them.

1983 - Garfield - clear winner.

1984 - Both BD and SCV were better in Finals than Garfield. Garfield had an off show in Finals. Semi's and Encore - clear winner. Finals (based on their performance alone, no the quality of the corps in general), I didn't think they won.

1985 - SCV was better in finals than Garfield, who once again had an off night in Finals. Garfield was the superior drum corps, but they didn't execute in Finals.

1986 - BD was untouchable.

1987 - This one was extremely hard to call, but I have to agree with Garfield as the winner.

1988 - I personally didn't understand how BD was undefeated going into Championships. Execution was untouchable, but there was no GE - especially in visual (seems the judges agreed too with a 6th place GE visual score). I saw both BD and SCV and thought SCV took BD. I didn't see Madison, as I was in the tunnel lining up for retreat, so I can't comment on Madison vs. BD and SCV. From the DVD's, I'd say I cannot disagree with Madison.

1989 - I thought SCV took it. Had PR's horn line actually marched during the drum solo, and had the drum line been clean during the solo, they would have won.

1990 - Cadets were the clear winner.

1991 - I loved Star's show, but I thought Cavies deserved the title. They are so much cleaner. After years of watching the videos/DVD's, I still can't see how the more difficult but dirty Star beat the difficult and clean Cavies.

1992 - Cavaliers took it.

1993 - Another hard one, but I think I'd agree with Cadets winning based on the Finals performance.

1994 - Hands down, BD.

1995 - Cavies smoked everyone.

1996 - PR based on the Finals performance. There should not have been a tie.

1997 - BD was best that night, even though I was pushing for SCV.

1998 - Cadets took it.

1999 - This is one tie I didn't disagree with. On raw emotion and performance, I'd give it to SCV. On execution, I'd give it to BD.

2000 - Cavies were better in Finals, and should have stood alone.

2001 - Cavies took it.

2002 - No one was even close to Cavies that year.

2003 - BD won, but I disagreed with the spread over Cavies - way too big.

2004 - Cavies won - no dispute.

2005 - Cadets were clearly the best overall corps.

So overall, I'd disagree with 3 of the champions (84, 85, and 91) and two of the co-champions (96 and 00).

Edited by SkyRyder_FMM

1984 - Both BD and SCV were better in Finals than Garfield.  Garfield had an off show in Finals.  Semi's and Encore - clear winner.  Finals (based on their performance alone, no the quality of the corps in general), I didn't think they won.

As a matter of fact....many menbers of Garfield thought they'd lost on Finals night...it was as much a surprise to them as it was to us.

SCV?? Had they had a better prelims performance they would've probably done better on Finals night in terms of the scoring...they did NOT have a good prelims show.

As a matter of fact....many menbers of Garfield thought they'd lost on Finals night...it was as much a surprise to them as it was to us.

SCV??  Had they had a better prelims performance they would've probably done better on Finals night in terms of the scoring...they did NOT have a good prelims show.

Ain't that the truth! SCV laid a great big fat egg in prelims in 84. Same thing happened in 87 too. They were late for both shows, and were flustered getting on the field. Both performances were not good, but 84 - Yikes!

Ain't that the truth!  SCV laid a great big fat egg in prelims in 84.  Same thing happened in 87 too.  They were late for both shows, and were flustered getting on the field.  Both performances were not good, but 84 - Yikes!

Right after prelims in 87, I remember hearing people saying SCVs drumline had to run onto the field. And that it looked like the corps wasn't mentally "on" for that performance. But I honestly can't remember if I was in the stadium watching when that happened. I was pretty green, so at the time I wouldn't probably notice an "off" night by a corps anyway. (Some memories are clearer than others these days. Too many martinis maybe? :) )

Edited by bradrick

1990 The Cadets with a Close Runner of The Cavaliers

1991 Hmmmm I thought Star and The Cadets should have tied!

1992 Definitely the Cadets instead of The Cavaliers

1993 The Cadets, Medea by Star was nice... but ummm yea that...

1994 Blue Devils no contest to that

1995 I didn't think champions of the Cavalier show, they performed it well, but The Planets is a really frequently done Marching Band show and I just thought they should have chosen a better selection. Blue Devils in my opinion.

1996 Phantom Regiment!!! All the way! Blue Devils did a great job but I thought Phantom Regiment touched the hearts of the audience.

1997 I'd have preferred The Cadets first with Blue Devils a very very very close second

1998 The Cadets or The Cavaliers, both were great shows

1999 Santa Clara Vanguard alone without the tie

2000 The Cadets alone without the tie

2001 The Cadets with Blue Devils very close behind.

2002 Honestly I wasn't impressed, but for technical executions The Cavaliers deserved it

2003 Blue Devils, The Cadets and Phantom Regiment should have tied, very impressed with a large number of corps out there

2004 Santa Clara Vanguard ALL THE WAY, with probably Blue Devils a close second in my mind

2005 The Cadets and Phantom a close second.

1987 Cadets

1988 Blue Devils

1989 Phantom Regiment

1990 Cavaliers

1991 Star

1992 Star

1993 Star

1994 Blue Devils

1995 Cavaliers

1996 Phantom Regiment

1997 Blue Devils

1998 Cadets

1999 Santa Clara Vanguard

2000 Cadets

2001 Cadets

2002 Cavaliers

2003 Cavaliers

2004 Cavaliers

2005 Cadets

Since I was marching and was able to see it SCV was so powerful, and rich they in 99 should NOT have tied with BD. DOnt get me wrong BD had a great show, and excuted well, but seeing it SCV was cleaner, more powerful and you could feel the show not simply listen to it.

2000- cavies should have had it hands down as well...no tie.

those are the only two for now..... :)