The South and Drum Corps

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was only trying to point out how much more difficult it is for corps in the South to thrive given these factors.

I would counter that good and creative managment allows corps to thrive. If your local area can't support your corps..recruit!

You can do like CC..hire an exceptional staff that can bring the talented kids in and can also make the average kids shine.

To be succesful you need the following..

Good managment (CC, Spirit, Mempho, SW, have it..Magic is well on the way)

Good Programming

Good intangibles..does the corps travel well, eat well, are the members treated well?

Just my .02

Edited by tubamann

If it helps any. I went to Pope (ya know the school next to Lassiter) and now go to college in Atlanta. Although I've lived in Georgia my entire life a couple friends convinced me to go march at Glassmen. At my high school you couldn't march drum corps and do marching band, but a group of us decided to march after we graduated. I know some people who went to Crown, Phantom, Cadets, Glassmen, Spirit...and I'm sure some others.

Now as for Lassiter, I'm sure it's the same way. My bf went there and was one of the best players in the state, but when he went to try out for Spirit he said it just wasn't for him.

As for college bands. There are about 5 in the band that I march in. Only 2 currently, the rest just did one year somewhere like myself.

Any questions, I'd love to answer.

Melissa

Glassmen '03

There are two organizations in Texas that are up and coming to become a Div I contender. Revolution from San Antonio won the DCI World Champion Division III title in 2002. From the buzz on the web and message boards fans think that Revolution should become a Div. I corps.

It's hard to compete with corps that come to Texas to hold audition camps. What do we do to get potential members to stay and participate in organizations in there own backyard?

Believe it or not, but most of Trinity's members auditioned for The Blue Coats. We were lucky enough that these members wanted to march and did not give up after The Coats audition.

What we could do, to maybe get a top 5 contender corps from the south, is start supporting the smaller organizations.

Just my 2 cents…

Ronald

Although I've lived in Georgia my entire life a couple friends convinced me to go march at Glassmen.

But there's a big difference...you don't have a "local" DCI corps to choose from any more. You would have to travel no matter what. Of course, travel to JSU or South Carolina is a lot less than travel to Ohio, and you'd still be in your home region, but that's neither here nor there. When I was giving historical perspective and brought up Lassiter by name, I was referring to the time when Spirit was indeed RIGHT THERE in Atlanta...many times practicing at Walton or Sprayberry, we were in the top 12, and we STILL didn't get any members from those bands.

I know that people go where they like the music or instructors or where they'll feel comfortable. But it used to not be that way. We used to have members travel some, but not near the number of people that travel across regional lines like we have today. I'm not saying that's bad, but it does perpetuate the issue of the top corps retaining a lot of the top talent from across the country, making it more difficult for other corps to break the top spots.

I'm wondering if with the now rising cost of gasoline if a lot of potential members might start joining the closest corps as opposed to one they have to drive 5-6 hours to get to.

I'm wondering if with the now rising cost of gasoline if a lot of potential members might start joining the closest corps as opposed to one they have to drive 5-6 hours to get to.

Could be. But I also remember 15 years ago I made comparisons between two different groups of kids at a school that I worked for...We wondered why kids would pay $100 bucks for a certain pair of athletic shoes or would drive a brand new Toyota instead of the many cheaper alternatives that were available to them. The fact was that they would work harder to get those "status symbols" that are so coveted by our society. So, in relation to our activity, I would bet that even though gas costs double what it used to cost not so long ago, potential members will still find a way to go to where they want to go. The only possible exception might be for any person that is under 16 years old that will have to rely on their parents for transporation...many parents, if they are not already a fan of our activity, will not go that extra mile with the extra expense if there is a more reasonable alternative to them.

High school students really should not march drum corps. Only in rare cases. They should live their life in high school while they can, then grow up afterwards, in college. Most Drum Corps jerk high school kids around now as it is. High school students have a lot of activities to try to balance, and they have responsibilities to their home school programs...you know, the ones that are training them in the first place.

Not to mention great College Bands such as JSU, FSU, Troy, UGA, LSU, Bama, etc.  What would it take to build an elite drum corps in the South and will there ever be a corps from the South to crack the top 5 in the future?

....dont leave UT out of it just because we are rivals.

:rolleyes:

bigcircle.jpg

spirals.jpg

flowerbow.jpg

Most Drum Corps jerk high school kids around now as it is. 

How do most drum corps jerk high school kids around?