The South and Drum Corps

High school students really should not march drum corps.  Only in rare cases. 

So I take it that you believe the legal marching age should be 17-21 years old?

That's probably not that much of a problem for the top 6 or so corps, but if you didn't allow high school kids the chance to march, you'd see the lower Div 1 corps and practically all of Div 2 and 3 corps fade away.

This is yet another idea that will keep the same corps at the top.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marching corps was an integral part of my life experience while in high school.

I don't see any reason that kids should not and do not march with 2 exceptions:

1. High school band directors need a better understanding of what the corps experience is all about. Of course we have been saying that for 30 years.

2. No local corps anymore means that kids need to travel. Back in the day there was a corps in the next town.

Go take a look at the bridges that Memphis Sound has built with the local schools.

High school students really should not march drum corps.  Only in rare cases.  They should live their life in high school while they can, then grow up afterwards, in college.  Most Drum Corps jerk high school kids around now as it is.  High school students have a lot of activities to try to balance, and they have responsibilities to their home school programs...you know, the ones that are training them in the first place.

I am aware of that.  However, why didn't some of those star players, whom you know had to be in a band of that caliber, come to march AFTER they graduated?  That still proves my point.

In fact, many of the band directors in Cobb County GA didn't allow their members to march, at least back when I was with Spirit.

I don't know why the kids don't march corps after high school. It's a mystery of gigantic proportions!

I wasn't trying to discredit your point, I was merely commenting on one specific Cobb County program I have knowledge of.

It's all good. Peace! :P

High school students really should not march drum corps.  Only in rare cases.  They should live their life in high school while they can, then grow up afterwards, in college.  Most Drum Corps jerk high school kids around now as it is.  High school students have a lot of activities to try to balance, and they have responsibilities to their home school programs...you know, the ones that are training them in the first place.

WHAAAAAAAAAAA?????????????? :(

So High School kids shouldn't march corps? Gee, I've read some goofy things on here, but that's got to take the cake.

My HS music program was pathetic. I was marching corps at the age of 13, and by 15 was learning from some of the best in the business (Dennis DeLucia, Clark Williams, etc.). I wasn't going to waste my time with a HS program that gave me nothing, when I could work with the absolute best. My sister, on the other hand, had the tolerance to put up with the nonsense at school, but it didn't deter her from winning a few world championships with the Cadets at the same time.

My youngest sister marched Open Class prelims at the age of 9.

We've all been very successful...both in drum corps and out.

How about we agree to do what is best for each individual and their family and leave the wacky proclamations for another topic?

BTW, a big hello to my buddy, Steve!

Karen

I respectfully disagree with your assertions, My son started in The Cadets when he was 13 years old (8th grade) and has just completed his sixth season with them at age 19. In fact he was the most tenured member of the corps this year and the only remaining member from the 2000 season. It has been wonderful for him so far (2 years remaining - a 2007 age out).

I also marched in high school (and after) - from the ages of 16 through 20 (1971-1975) and it was a critical part of my maturing and development process.

I wasn't trying to discredit your point, I was merely commenting on one specific Cobb County program I have knowledge of.

It's all good.  Peace!  :P

Don't worry...I knew you weren't trying to discredit me. I only wanted to make sure that I presented my case fully, which included the question about why students didn't march after they had graduated. Before you made your statement, I wasn't totally clear on that point.