"...close to 50,000 in attendance..."

Okay ... okay ... okay ...

Mercy, I love this thread.

As a former ink-stained wretch (been out of the journalist biz for a few years) ... I got many news releases where figures were thrown around like popcorn in a movie theater. And, yes, we checked with the source and others to make sure the counts were right. And, if they weren't, we made sure to write in the correct numbers.

Now ... on to the discussion at hand ...

There probably were 50,000 folks at the events of Championship Week. Were some counted more than once? Don't know. As each body went through the turnstile at each venue ... was each person counted? If some people attended each and every event, were they counted each time they entered the gate?

Get a grip people ... yes, puffery rears it's ugly head in many PR (that's Public Relations) not "the" PR ... and you can read into it whatever you wish.

But, for heaven's sakes ... chill!

:master:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was anyone harmed by the 50,000 published number?

Yes, whether you know it or not. One time getting away with something leads to another time trying. Before you know it the ones telling the fibs don't know where to stop and those who belive the 'official' line don't have a true picture of what is going on.

I think this activity should be above the marketing/corporate, all is rosy kind of thought control. In the end we'll be healthier for it.

Regards,

John Swartz

PS. Extreme Marching Band sucks.

Edited by sarnia sam

For those of us that attended qtrs,semis,and finals. we know what the approx.attendance was...The stadium holds 68,000 plus . With the exception of the end zone,(which was partially filled ) the concert side of the stadium was full on finals night. The end zone may hold 4000 tops. Divide the capacity by two ,subtract the end zone, and you have the aprox. finals attendance.

We do not need someone from New Delhi to relate the figures, or use a graph of past drum corps configurations to know how many people were there. Open your eyes and look!!

As far as I am concerned, the paid or unpaid attendance for three days was close to 68,000. and I really don't care about the figures....

For those of us that attended qtrs,semis,and finals. we know what the approx.attendance was...The stadium holds 68,000 plus . With the exception of the end zone,(which was partially filled ) the concert side of the stadium was full on finals night. The end zone may hold 4000 tops. Divide the capacity by two ,subtract the end zone, and you have the aprox. finals attendance.

We do not need someone from New Delhi to relate the figures, or use a graph of past drum corps configurations to know how many people were there. Open your eyes and look!!

As far as I am concerned, the paid or unpaid attendance for three days was close to 68,000. and I really don't care about the figures....

LOL, what stadium were YOU at ?? Quarters was by far, one of the least attended "like events" in years. Semis wasnt drawing record numbers either.

Finals was well atttended, but not overflowing end zones, that for sure.

68,000 ??? Yeah, ok......so does that include everyone that went to all three shows ???

~G~

What stadium were you at? and were you even there? In case you were not, there is a photo earlier on this site. If you still think the concert side was not full,call your eye doctor on monday morning....

What stadium were you at? and were you even there?  In case you were not, there is a photo earlier on this site. If you still think the concert side was not full,call your eye doctor on monday morning....

I dont know, maybe I had an out of body experience. I really dont care about photos, by the way, thats what numbers are for, to throw out doubt, get it ?

No sorry, Quarters and semis were not well attended, 68,000 LOL, you mean 68,000 different people ?? Cause quite frankly all three nights all the faces were familiar.....

~G~

Of course they were the same people,but they showed up three different nights. They could all be wearing Nixon masks,it does not make any difference,they bought tickets,exited the stadium,returned to the stadium the next night. They might have looked the same, but in this day and age no one really has an identity anymore!! So I guess I sort of get it.....

The reason is quite simple. A total of 50,000 attendees for three nights of competition is pathetic.

Anything but pathetic. Do you know how many organizations would love to claim

50,000 attendees over 3 nights. For instance...

How many attendees to you think were at the last 3 Chicago Symphony concerts?

What about 3 days of professional tennis, soccer, ice skating?

Take a good look at this past summer's concert tours. Some major solo acts and

groups would pale in comparison to the 3 day figure of 50,000 that DCI had.

The bottom line is those 50,000 people accounted for MILLIONS of dollars being

spent over 3 days. My wife and I accounted for 2 (or 6 over 3 days) and we spent

well over $1,000.

Pathetic...I hardly think so.

One other point. It is not at all unusual for "official" attendance figures to not be

released. Attendance at the Indianapolis 500, often the largest spectator event

in the world, has NEVER been released. Attendance at golf's most prestigious event

The Masters is NEVER released. There are many other examples.

Why so anti DCI?

^ I like the above post.