"...close to 50,000 in attendance..."

Mike, Steph, Drumcat and all you in the DCI can do no wrong camp really need to pull your heads out of the sand.

exCUSE me? Pull out heads out of the sand? You've got a LOT of nerve making personal attacks on people who just happen to disagree with you. Learn some manners.

Yea comparing 71 to 2005 is unfair because the VFW had a built in crowd… like there was nothing better for the vets to do in Dallas than go to a DC show. Get real; there were around 30,000 DC fans at the 71 finals

1) You are taking the word of one paper with NO way to know if that number was real or not.

2) You have no way of knowing or proving who the bulk of the fans were at the show. IMO it was far more likely that a lot of them were just there as part of the VFW convention, as opposed to being drum corps fans...travelling around the country was far more expensive, relatively speaking, in 1971 than it is today.

Mike

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why so anti DCI?

Haven't you heard? According to some people here on DCP, DCI is the right hand of Satan! (The part of Satan, of course, is being played this evening by George Hopkins.) :master: :P ^0^

How is telling you to pull your head out of the sand a personal attack. If I had told you to pull your head out your arse than I could see your point. A little sensitive in your old age, eh Mikey. 30,000 people bought tickets, watched 12 corps perform, stood and cheered. As I recall not many left before the scores were announced. I would classify all of them as DC fans!

50,000 for the week isn't out of line.

Approx 6,000 at Quarters

Approx 14,000 at Semis

Approx 25,000 at Finals

Add another few thousand for Div 2/3 events and you are in the 50K neighborhood.

These guesses are bodies in the building. Whether they paid to get in or not, they are still spending money and contributing to the local economy and that's what that number is put out for anyway.

How is telling you to pull your head out of the sand a personal attack. If I had told you to pull your head out your arse than I could see your point. A little sensitive in your old age, eh Mikey.

NO, not sensitive...just one who wants to keep the general level of discussion on DCP above mud-slinging.

Mike

NO, not sensitive...just one who wants to keep the general level of discussion on DCP above mud-slinging.

Mike

Mud-slinging? Did I call you a name? Accuse you of some nasty impropriety? If I had said wake up and smell the coffee would that have been better?

i dont think the numbers are misleading personally.

when you take in that they had 6 shows i'd say thats a good deal.

Mud-slinging? Did I call you a name? Accuse you of some nasty impropriety? If I had said  wake up and smell the coffee would that have been better?

Why make ANY comment of that sort? Just state your opinion without making it look like those that do not agree with you are somehow idiots.

Mike

How is telling you to pull your head out of the sand a personal attack. If I had told you to pull your head out your arse than I could see your point. A little sensitive in your old age, eh Mikey. 30,000 people bought tickets, watched 12 corps perform, stood and cheered. As I recall not many left before the scores were announced. I would classify all of them as DC fans!

Once again, you woke up on the wrong side of the bed. I don't understand you... I didn't apologize for DCI, and I didn't say they were right or wrong. All I was saying was the person stating that 50,000 was in exaggeration was overreacting because this wasn't a one night figure.

Why you feel the need to call me ignorant is beyond me. If you have a personal problem with me, you can write me directly. Leave me a private message, and I'll be sure to answer.

In the more general sense, I can understand why you feel the need to maintain perspective. The analogies I've seen you draw, particularly here, seem fundamentally flawed. To that end, I have one very simple question. Do you believe drum corps, as an activity, has been better served by DCI, or would have been better served to be under the VFW all these years, and why?