Grooviest Moment

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Grooviest?  Bridgemen drum lines, you pick the year  :master:

The year the Bridgemen awesome drum line line played a piece blindfolded with bandanas. That was pretty " cool ". That " groovy " concept was later incorporated into the stage hit " Blast " by that group's shows designers too.

Edited by Lieut. General Effect

This isn't really "groovy" at all, but the whole Hungarian Dance closer had me dancing like an idiot in my seat when I first saw it. (VK 92)

More along the lines of actual 'grooviness'; Crossmen 91 had some really sweet stuff in the closer. (Plus the ending to the show was insane!)

Cavies 00, 01, & 03's drum breaks had a head bobbing feel to them.

Oh yeah, Madison 94 right after the two wedges ran into the center and they started 'dancing'. I thought that was really "hip", so to speak.

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

Alright, so many, so I'll have to make a short list:

Bluecoats 2003 - basically the last half of the show. one of the movements kicks off with this subdued groove, the horns have a great riff that the play, it's just a great show for grooves.

Blue Devils 2003 - the ends of both the opener and the closer. Some of the best jam sections in DCI history.

Blue Devils 2004 - about three and a half minutes into the show. you can feel the hornline hit that point and enter into a section of the chart where the groove just flows right out and carries you along until coming to a stop with the pedal tones.

Cavaliers 2000 - pretty much the whole show, but that third movement and closer you can bob your head to the whole time. the definition of a head-bobbing groove.

Cavaliers 2003 - third movement, where the drumline's grooving, the contras(?) are doing the bob step and you can hear some of the corps doing that little hissing sound.

Cavaliers 2004 - any number of places, but especially in the middle of the show right before and during the hornline's awesome latin jazz passage. Also the reprise of the Bond theme in the closer.

Madison Scouts 1993 - the several measure drum break during Strawberry Soup

Madison Scouts 1995 - also the ends of the opener and closer. There's those moments in each when the music just seems to lock in and build on top of itself like a living thing. it's the last big statement in the opener, and in the closer right after the drum break segue and during and after the four soloists line up.

Madison Scouts 1999 - a la 1993, another short drum break that lays down a great groove.

I'm sure there are a ton more, but if I wasn't writing at nearly 1 am I'd probably come up with more than just what I've got here.

Cadets '95 - with that killer bass drum feature in Swing Swing Swing

Bluecoats '02 - Pedal to the Metal had awesome low brass

Bluecoats '03 - Codename: Eternity was rockin'.

Capital Regiment '04 - Scootin' on the Hardrock. Killer brass and percussion book. Definetly cooked.

I might be in the minority but i really enjoyed the Bluecoats 1991 drum solo when the keyboards were turned and they had a player on both sides playing the rythmic part, and the drumline was laying down some sweet accented patterns.

Cavaliers 2003 - third movement, where the drumline's grooving, the contras(?) are doing the bob step and you can hear some of the corps doing that little hissing sound.

The hissing you're referring about is actually the entire corps whispering the name: SLY. Sylvester Sylbilski is the visual caption head so they put it in the show.

1990 Crossmen

1991 Crossmen

1992 Crossmen

"THE GROOVE MACHINE"

Probably some of the hippest drum corps ever

(unless you wore a big yellow coat...)

but maybe I'm a little biased

I'm with YOU young Gene Bennett! :rolleyes: