What about people who don't get ESPN2?

What should we do in this situation. Perhaps DCI would like me to go out and buy DirectTV so I can get all those premium channels. Here's a can of worms for you, DCI is conspiring with all the cable and satellite companies. (That last bit was sarcasm). But seriously, I've been annoyed by DCI this year. First making everyone PAY for season converage (when they did the exact same thing for free 2 years in a row), and now putting the broadcast on ESPN2. Okay okay, let's just say it does have the potential to get more viewers. Technically, wouldn't it be MORE by sticking with PBS? I just don't understand the logic of it.

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no - each PBS station controls which programs they put on depending on viewer demand and other things. ESPN2 is a nationwide station with pretty much the same programing everywhere (except for sports games that are regionalized) - so more people receieve ESPN2 than people that would be able to view DCI championships on PBS. this also has the added bonus of being broadcast at the same time nationwide (as opposed to on PBS where it'd be different times for different stations) making it easier for DCI to advertise. as well, i think people are more likely to randomly flip to ESPN2 to see what's on than they are to flip to PBS to see what's on. I think it's definitely a plus.

The potential audience for ESPN2 is larger then PBS

Plus...PBS stations have been dropping DCI for years...our community has a bad habit of calling in during the pledge drive, then not following through on the pledge...hardly good incentive for PBS to continue to carry our rather specialized event.

It sucks that people who don't ger ESPN2 can't get DCI this year...but the same can be said of those whose local PBS station dropped it as well.

It sucks that people who don't ger ESPN2 can't get DCI this year...but the same can be said of those whose local PBS station dropped it as well.

Who cares about the people who don't get ESPN 2... Go to a friends house and watch it... Everyone who has cable gets it... That is a huge difference to checking to see if your local PBS station is going to carry it... Maybe someday it will be on a network station, ABC, Fox... Just imagine the campaign for fox... 2010 World Series, Superbowl, NASCAR, DCI WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!! oh, we can dream can't we? :)

You'll just have to go to Hooters or a local sports bar. You just might convert some people over to drum corps. Or, just go visit a friend with cable.

Edited by boxingfred

Who cares about the people who don't get ESPN 2... Go to a friends house and watch it... Everyone who has cable gets it... That is a huge difference to checking to see if your local PBS station is going to carry it... Maybe someday it will be on a network station, ABC, Fox... Just imagine the campaign for fox... 2010 World Series, Superbowl, NASCAR, DCI WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!! oh, we can dream can't we?  :)

Be careful for what you dream. :master:

News flash... we in the Great White North do not get ESPN2... or any ESPN for that matter, not on cable or satilite... and I will not drive across the border to watch it.... not with the price of gas and the hassle lately about getting across the border in the first place... my passprt hasn't come in the mail yet. <**>

What should we do in this situation. Perhaps DCI would like me to go out and buy DirectTV so I can get all those premium channels. Here's a can of worms for you, DCI is conspiring with all the cable and satellite companies. (That last bit was sarcasm). But seriously, I've been annoyed by DCI this year. First making everyone PAY for season converage (when they did the exact same thing for free 2 years in a row), and now putting the broadcast on ESPN2. Okay okay, let's just say it does have the potential to get more viewers. Technically, wouldn't it be MORE by sticking with PBS? I just don't understand the logic of it.

i am sorry you don't get ESPN2.

IMO having it shown on ESPN2 opens it up to a greater audience. PBS coverage was sketchy at best. in the past up here they have said it would be on at such and such time and then switched it at the last minute. last year they said they wouldn't be showing it at first. they must have gotten a number of calls about it because they did relent and broadcast it finally. at least with ESPN2 we get a nationwide broadcast simultaneously. ESPN2 also does re-runs. i don't know if they will with DCI, but the potential is there. i know PBS does as well, but it seems (again IMO) to only do so with shows they know they get a huge turnout of donations for.

most cable outlets don't make ESPN2 a premium cable station (at least not in my area). at least around here (3 markets that i know of) it is part of your basic package. i'm not saying that is the same everywhere, but it still seems better than the hit and miss PBS option.

it is my understanding that more people have ESPN 2, as opposed to those who have PBS.

~>conner

Must resisit.... must resist.... logic is futile.... must resist.... :master: :P