What about people who don't get ESPN2?

News flash... we in the Great White North do not get ESPN2... or any ESPN for that matter, not on cable or satilite... and I will not drive across the border to watch it.... not with the price of gas and the hassle lately about getting across the border in the first place... my passprt hasn't come in the mail yet. <**>

If you're far enough north of the border to not receive any signals from the US, you don't get PBS, either.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What should we do in this situation. Perhaps DCI would like me to go out and buy DirectTV so I can get all those premium channels. Here's a can of worms for you, DCI is conspiring with all the cable and satellite companies. (That last bit was sarcasm). But seriously, I've been annoyed by DCI this year. First making everyone PAY for season converage (when they did the exact same thing for free 2 years in a row), and now putting the broadcast on ESPN2. Okay okay, let's just say it does have the potential to get more viewers. Technically, wouldn't it be MORE by sticking with PBS? I just don't understand the logic of it.

I don't get ESPN2 because I don't have cable, but I can have a friend record it for me as it seems I'm one of the few people I know who watches so little television that paying for cable just doesn't make sense to me. Heck, my dental hygenist gets cable and she volunteered to record it to disk off her computer (not sure what she means there)...she asked about DCI because I wore my DCI 2005 Worlds shirt to my appointment last week.

The number of PBS stations that were carrying the broadcast was always spotty. ESPN2 covers a VASTLY greater area of the nation than those PBS stations ever did, reaching locales that weren't reached by PBS.

Everyone knows when it will be on. I know people who would drive over 100 miles to see the PBS broadcast but never knew year-to-year when they'd be holding their broadcast part with friends as it kept changing from Labor Day weekend to Thanksgiving to dates in between.

As for Season Pass, the "pay-for-view" concept has allowed DCI.org to explore offerings it was never able to consider in the past. As for the question of why one should pay for something that used to be free...the lesson there might be that perhaps no organization should never give away anything for free while things are getting set up, because then some might be honked that they have to pay a relatively minor amount for increased coverage than be grateful that the organization is bending over backwards to try to deliver as much as it possibly can.

Were there some issues during the summer? Sure. But look at all the streams that were eventually made available...maybe not the minute one wanted them, but within a couple days. Adding all those people DCI.org utilized this year just for all the stuff they put up at each show (interviews, videos, etc., etc., etc.) costs money. You have to fly them around, put them up at hotels, feed them, transport them. This was not a small venture and it may well grow from year to year.

But the main point made by the original poster was the switch from PBS to cable. Again, I don't have cable, but I can't agree more with the logic why the switch was made. Multitudes more will have access to learnind about our magnificent activity. Way more fans will have access to the broadcast. And no pledge breaks! God bless PBS. They hung on since 1975. I salute them for that. But like someone else also mentioned, many viewers would call and pledge and never follow up. You don't pay your cable bill and you don't get cable...ESPN2 or otherwise.

Bottom line: It's all good.

Mike

My PBS station hasn't carried it the past few years, so welcome to my world.

But I do get ESPN2, so I'll finally get to see it again.

If you're far enough north of the border to not receive any signals from the US, you don't get PBS, either.

You're assuming there's no PBS station up there, either.

Heck, my dental hygenist gets cable and she volunteered to record it to disk off her computer (not sure what she means there)

Your dental hygenist has a DVD recorder drive in her computer. Her computer is also either connected to her cable/satellite feed or is connected to a TiVo box. Either way, she can put a recording of the broadcast on her computer then burn it to a DVD so you can watch it on a DVD player and/or computer.

I have TiVo and use the TiVo To Go software the company offers. I am able to transfer shows I've recorded on TiVo to my computer as the TiVo box is on my home network. I can burn the broadcast to disc and let anybody borrow that I think would be interested. If they like what they see, I can then let them borrow the DCI DVDs once they're available and in my hands. If not, I let somebody else borrow the broadcast recording. There's over 100 people at work (with the possibility of an ex-Glassmen joining the team soon!) so many potential converts await my sermon.

News flash... we in the Great White North do not get ESPN2... or any ESPN for that matter, not on cable or satilite... and I will not drive across the border to watch it.... not with the price of gas and the hassle lately about getting across the border in the first place... my passprt hasn't come in the mail yet. <**>

Don't worry, it all evens out because many Americans won't be able to watch as much hockey on TV this year due to that little labor stoppage. Maybe next year (if there is a next year) you can get TSN to simulcast with ESPN?

If you don't get ESPN2 (in the US), I suggest you gather a bunch of people together who have an interest in watching it, call up a few local sports bars and ask if they'll let you watch it WITH the sound on. Then you can watch it with a bunch of people and some beer and maybe some wings and then perhaps other people might come up and ask you, "what is this your watching?"

it is my understanding that more people have ESPN 2, as opposed to those who have PBS.

More people have PBS. It's in something like 99% of American homes who have televisions. But that doesn't mean that all those stations carried the DCI broadcast. And they certainly weren't airing them all at the same time. Hence the switch.

More people have PBS. It's in something like 99% of American homes who have televisions. But that doesn't mean that all those stations carried the DCI broadcast. And they certainly weren't airing them all at the same time. Hence the switch.

BUT there are like 5 stations of PBS in my area, and none of which carried the DCI telecast.

~>conner

Yeah, I already said that. You have PBS, but they didn't carry it. And 99% of the people in this country with tv's have PBS but many stations didn't carry it.

You stated that from what you understood, more people have ESPN2 than have PBS. That's not true. Nearly everyone HAS a PBS station. So if every station aired the broadcast at the same time, the potential audience would be larger. But that was not the case, so they made a better deal.