Finals Placement as an Overall Goal

I know discussions of SCV and Valenzuela's resignation have mostly gone in the wrong direction, so I'm trying to keep this general. However, this point was inspired by the following...

http://www.scvanguard.org/forms/director_j...tion_082705.pdf

(third point of director's Management Responsiblities)

-Ensure that the Santa Clara Vanguard drum corps maintains its highly competitive placing with Drum Corps International by placing withing the top 12 at the annual DCI World Championship Finals.  The goal is top 5.

Before I continue, I would just like to say that I am in no way "bashing" the Santa Clara Vanguard or its past, peresnt, or future directors. Moreover, I am in no way criticizing the Santa Clara Vanguard's administration or it's philosophies and competitive ideologies. (I think that pretty much covers it all)

I am merely using the SCV director's job description as an example for GENERAL discussion and debate.

Moving on.

I disagree with using placement as a means for measuring the success of an organization. Using words like "ensuring" to be in the "top 12" leaves you wondering; what if they don't make the top 12? Did the corps director fail miserably? Did the corps itself fail miserably? This description places such an emphasis on placement (specifically, top 12) that it is inconceivable that one can have a successful season without making the top 12 (which we would agree is completely untrue).

This description goes so far as to say that "the goal is top 5". What if they don't make top 5? Did the corps not achieve its goal? Man, I sure know I wouldn't want to bust my ### all year to not achieve my goal.

The emphasis on placement is so profound that it is the THIRD point of the director's responsibilities.

This year, I marched in a corps that had a shot at taking first place at finals. Not once, however, did our staff mention any sort of placement in their goals for the year. Their emphasis was on coming off the field after your last performance, knowing that you gave that night, that week, and the whole season, every ounce of effort you had. No regrets. Our caption head told us something to the effect of, "You can come in dead last and still achieve all of your goals and our goals for the year".

For clarification, I am in no way against competition, or corps who aim for success in competition (so for those of you who have already typed into the fast reply "drum corps is an activity based on competition", please rethink).

However, I just think that using placements to set goals is risky and not very productive. If the members are to understand that a certain placement (or even a certain placement range) is their goal, they are not going to feel so great if they don't get that placement. By simple transitive logic, these kids did not achieve their corps' goal for the season. Like I said before, how would you feel to bust your ### all summer and not achieve your goal?

I guess all the ranting is coming to this question. How do you feel about placement being expressed as a goal? Is it good for the organization as a whole? Is it good for the members? And feel free to discuss any more related matter.

Edited by Penguin

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

THANK YOU SCV! GOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Penguin, meet TommySopranoContra.

edit: Loved your show this year!!! I saw Raiders at Division III prelims...quite an accomplishment, you all should be very proud.

Edited by Slow Adam

What would be interesting is to see the last one of these job descriptions, and compare it to this one. Did they add that, after this year's lower (for SCV) placing? I wonder...

Placement in DCI means a lot in terms of money and drawing power, I think, and it is natural for a group to aim for it. I don't think it's wrong to emphasize winning, since competition's a fact of life. Over-emphasis might lead to some problems, though. Besides, this is a director's job description and not necessarily what would be said to the marching members.

For the record, I marched in SCV this past summer and the staff rarely brought up placements with us. When they did, it was to say something "If you guys are upset about how we're placing, don't be -- that's not what this activity is about." In fact, there were points this season where I wish they WOULD care a little bit more about placement. They simply didn't give a rip.

Maybe behind the scenes it's different, but as far as the staff interacts with the students they don't press placement on us at all.

Given that the revenue stream of a corps is tied to their previous placement in DCI, being upfront about needing to at least remain in the top 12, preferably with an upper tier placement, is nothing but honest. Successful corporations (and drum corps IS business, even if non-profit business) view excellent overall company performance as the hallmark of a great CEO or upper-level exec. This is no different, nor SHOULD it be.

Very thorough job description. Good work, SCV Board.

Edited by mobrien

They should care a little bit. It'd be bad if SCV didn't make top 12, and it was kind of sad they didn't get top 5 this year.

BUT I do agree that over emphasis is not good, and in the end will only lead to the negative of what they want to accomplish.

~>conner