Finals Placement as an Overall Goal

not true.... look at boston 99 then 2000

Wow. Boston won in 2000? I missed that.

Read my statement again. It takes years to WIN and it would be a rather insane goal of any corps that is not used to being a contender to suddenly make winning the championship their goal (which was a thought presented by another poster...that ALL corps should set their goal to WIN).

Boston went from 15th in 1998 to 9th in 99 to 5th in 2000. That is a logical progression. but I highly doubt that in 99 when they were sitting in 9th that the corps set out to WIN the next year, as that is a rather lofty goal. They could have possibly set that goal after placing 5th in 2000, as they had increased their rank significantly over a 3 year period and that mark might have seemed attainable, and after all, they had had 3 or four years of improvement under their belt, proving my point that it takes years to build a corps to the point of setting out to win the title.

Edited by ssorrell

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree.  It's important to set realistic and attainable goals, otherwise they are useless.  It wouldn't do Spirit any good to set a goal to win DCI next season, when they most assuredly wouldn't accomplish that feat.  It takes years to move up the ranks to win.  It certainly doesn't happen overnight.

You took the words right out of my mouth Steve. The operative words are "Realistic and Attainable."

When I first arrived at Suncoast my goal was top 12 that very first year. The rest of the staff thought It was a stretch, but my experience and background led me to believe it was attainable. We wound up 13th and yes, I was extremely disappointed, but it wasn't the end of the world. We came back even more determined the next year and after seeing all the competition I set my sights on 5th place. We came in 6th.

I then came to the conclusion that the only goal left for the organization from here on out should be 1st place, NOT because I believed we WOULD win but because I believed that every corps who stood between us and winning WAS trying to win.

The goal of winning puts the onus squarely on the shoulders of the creative staff to put together a show that, if executed flawlessly, has the potential to win, and in the end that's the best you can do.

Edited by Russellrks