DCI on ESPN2...

Oh and anyone who feels ESPN2 is a better outlet than PBS is living in dreamland. ESPN2 in not on most cable standard packages. You have to subscribe to one of the premium packages. PBS is included in all basic services.

Maybe so, but how many people actually watch PBS? There are only a handful of channels that I'll flip to when I'm looking for something to watch, and ESPN2 is one of them. PBS is not. Compare the ratings of the two networks, and I guarantee you'll find that ESPN2 has far more viewers, even as a premium cable channel. Of course, many PBS stations won't even show DCI anymore. Even here in Indianapolis, WFYI wouldn't broadcast it until Christmas.

Which segues nicely to...

As far as PBS not treating DC fairly it’s DC fault! At one time you could see all of finals in its entirety. These broadcasts were tied to the stations pledge drives. Not enough DC fans pledged and many would call in and then not follow through. I guess you get what you pay for.

Heh, so you're saying all it takes is money? Well then all the crusty vets who whine for full shows should donate some of this money that they keep bragging about, when they they get up in arms about the current state of the activity. ^0^

Of course, if it costs the fans money to get a full PBS broadcast, then it makes even more sense to pony up the cash for the DVD. That'll give you full shows any time you want it.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure that if the rolls were reversed, and BAC, or BK, or Glassmen or Spirit, had been in that same position, hardly anyone would be complaining. Just be happy that its on ESPN 2 this year.

I like this ad much better, even though my beloved SCV (on the ad) is not there. I am glad they didn't call it "extreme marching band" :P  (oops wrong thread).

I wonder why it's not done in how they place in finals? :whistle:

They did this same thing to Bluecoats last year.

The ESPN show is based on Saurday night finals starting with the 12th place corps all the way to the 1st place corps. In between are feature stories. They show in the order of performance on saturday night to give the viewer a sense of what's going on that particular night. The features show how all the corps and kids within the corps go to that point. At the end, scores are announced based on the results of that night.

What a load of crap!!! Doesn't anyone on DCI's production team know how to edit? It would be simple to insert SCV in their finishing placement and make it look as if it took place that way "live". Besides who in their viewing audience believes they are watching a live event? Better explanation is they are showing Boston because finals were held in their hometown or they feel they’ll get better ratings in the East. I for one will boycott the program.

Actually a few people on the DCI production team know a little about editing....

Producer/Director Tom Blair has several Emmy Awards for editing including the 1988 Summer Olympics. His many credits include the Masters, US Open Tennis, Super Bowl, Final Four, The Wendy's Three Tour Challenge, and of course many DCI shows.

Mike Mabbott is the Senior Editor for Oprah Winfrey and has numerous Emmy's.

Bot Tom and Mike are working at the US Open in NY right now editing feature segments and highlight shows for CBS.

Edited by 2CoolVK

There is a pretty neat "behind the scenes" clip on Season Pass that features the Cavaliers design team talking about how they bring an idea to the field. This is a preview clip of one of the segments from the ESPN2 show. If you have Season Pass, it is in the video vignettes section.

Actually a few people on the DCI production team know a little about editing....

Producer/Director Tom Blair has several Emmy Awards for editing including the 1988 Summer Olympics.  His many credits include the Masters, US Open Tennis, Super Bowl, Final Four, The Wendy's Three Tour Challenge, and of course many DCI shows.

Mike Mabbott is the Senior Editor for Oprah Winfrey and has numerous Emmy's.

Bot Tom and Mike are working at the US Open in NY right now editing feature segments and highlight shows for CBS.

oh please - you call the Olympics, Oprah, the US Open, Emmy's etc credentials!! :P

What a load of crap!!!

<snip>

I for one will boycott the program.

Well.....nah, on second thought - it's just too easy. :whistle:

What a load of crap!!! Doesn't anyone on DCI's production team know how to edit? It would be simple to insert SCV in their finishing placement and make it look as if it took place that way "live". Besides who in their viewing audience believes they are watching a live event? Better explanation is they are showing Boston because finals were held in their hometown or they feel they’ll get better ratings in the East. I for one will boycott the program.

From your locked: DCI is screwing SCV. They have just released their promo package for the upcoming ESPN2 broadcast. Included are downloadable posters of the top eight corps except according to DCI the 8th place corps was Boston not SCV. It also seems Boston will be featured as one of the top 8 finishers thus getting more airtime than SCV. Their excuse is they want it to feel live. Any competent editor could cut the program so it would look as if SCV went on as they placed. Besides how many people believe they are watching a live broadcast? I for one will boycott this broadcast and I urge all SCV fans, boosters, alumni and members to do likewise!!!

DCI is screwing SCV? I think you should boycott all of DCI. By a lot. Boycott as far away as you can. No, farther than that. Keep boycotting. Boycott forever.