• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heck, I just noticed some of the stuff in BK 1994 I missed, thanks to the book I'm reading about it.

The book you're reading about BK 1994? Which book would that be?

Back to the thread.

The winter descriptions of The Zone left me flat in a big way. As one of the few who actually liked the Tull show, I figured you win one, you lose one, there's always 2006. Then in May, I made the drive to Allentown for Memorial Brass. Listening to the music only that night, I had the sense the Cadets might be on to something.

Never mind that Hopkins preceded the debut with a frank discussion (is he ever anything but?) of his doubts about the concept. I believe he said that night that Sylvester and others had been lobbying for this sort of show for years and that he had resisted. Finally, he gave in. Still, in May, after five or more months of rehearsal, Hopkins said he still wasn't sure they'd made the right choice.

Then they played it. Oh, did they play it. I've been to many Memorial Brasses and always was impressed with the early season quality. This was different, though. It was harder and better both. It just seemed as if we'd heard something special, something a quality staff and corps could mold into a memorable show.

And it was memorable. Six viewings and I still was ready for more. I think you could watch the guard alone six times and still find new wonders, they were that active and that good. I don't know if this was a show for the ages. That will depend on what great things the Cadets and other corps do in the next age. For now, though, this one was special.

HH

Didn't your sig used to say that you liked the Cadets every year except for 2005?  :whistle:

Cadets - along with Cavaliers and Bluecoats - are one of the biggest reasons that I can't wait for the DVDs to arrive.

I wouldn't hold my breath to see the Bluecoats on DVD any time soon. :(

Look, we've been almost half a page without any Cadets bashing or Borg ripostes going on.

It's a kinder, gentler DCP. :P

go make DCA predictions and watch that change

Look, we've been almost half a page without any Cadets bashing or Borg ripostes going on.

This must change immediately, for the future of all mankind.

I will therefore bravely break this horrendous chain of niceness:

...............Maroon is UGLY!

EN GAURDE!!!!!!!

The Bluecoats won't even be on the top 12 DVD for 2005??

Not if Stephen Melillo has his way. Same goes for D2 Oregon Crusaders.

Read about it here.

Back to the Cadets. Up until finals, I had only listened to the Memorial Brass recording. I was pumped. Finals night was the only night I actually saw the show. Up until then, I had only read snipets of reviews of the show.

While it's not on the top of my list, it'll be one of those grow-on-me-more shows once I get to see it more often on the dvd.

The Zone bored me, but I only saw it once during the cincecast, so I will re-watch it when the dvds arrive...

Warning: End of "nicey-town" ahead...

I am, though, getting tired of people saying how "innovative" this show was. It was not, in my opinion, very innovative at all. I mean, just look at the......ah.....heck, I don't feel like arguing this point, really...There's no point to it, we'll just wind up going back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth...