16:9 or 4:3 aspect ratio for DCI broadcast

I haven't seen this discussed anywhere...

Will the ESPN2 broadcast of DCI Finals be in 16:9 (Widescreen) or 4:3 (standard tv) aspect ratio.

ESPN2 now has a High Definition feed (though it will not be available on DirecTV until the repeat broadcasts) and I am hoping that they will be showing it in wide screen format. I was at the Cinecast and I'm pretty sure it was shown in widescreen - meaning the picture was not stretched to fill the movie screen.

Anybody know for sure...

I, for one, can't wait until it is produced in widescreen format! :whistle:

I haven't seen this discussed anywhere...

Will the ESPN2 broadcast of DCI Finals be in 16:9 (Widescreen) or 4:3 (standard tv) aspect ratio.

ESPN2 now has a High Definition feed (though it will not be available on DirecTV until the repeat broadcasts) and I am hoping that they will be showing it in wide screen format. I was at the Cinecast and I'm pretty sure it was shown in widescreen - meaning the picture was not stretched to fill the movie screen.

Anybody know for sure...

Was it in widescreen at the Cinecast?

I always wondered that. Can anyone verify this? If so, this means they did have widescreen cameras at the stadium but probably not high definition.

I can't wait for high def. drum corps. They are coming out with high def. DVDs pretty soon. I hope DCI will use this medium in the future. It would really up the veiwing experience.

:)

Was it in widescreen at the Cinecast?

I always wondered that.  Can anyone verify this?  If so, this means they did have widescreen cameras at the stadium but probably not high definition.

I can't wait for high def. drum corps.  They are coming out with high def. DVDs pretty soon.  I hope DCI will use this medium in the future.  It would really up the veiwing experience.

No, not widescreen. They use the same cameras for the Cinecast, ESPN Show and DVDs. Actually, a few of the cameras are DVD only - the guard and drum cams. HiDef production is still very expensive as will be HiDef DVD when it debuts. Both Sony and Tosiba have HiDef DVD in development and can't seem to find a comprimise on a single format. The format may be delayed until they can work together. Or, a format war could take place. Not good for either of them or us.

I can't wait for high def. drum corps.  They are coming out with high def. DVDs pretty soon.  I hope DCI will use this medium in the future.  It would really up the veiwing experience.

That day will be a GREAT day!

We have a widescreen HD TV and we get HDNet since we have DirecTV. And the sporting events that Marc Cuban shows on his network look absolutely awesome. For the Dallas Mavericks games, you can almost read the t-shirts on people in the stands when they are showing the full court.

Can you imagine how much better a HD high camera shot of some awesome DCI drill will look? The detail we will gain will be a huge difference. I think the cameras actually show more detail than my eyes can capture.

I know the cameras are bigger and more expensive and the editing/broadcast equipment is different and more expensive. But man... the day will come and we will all be amazed by how much more awesome the corps look.

:P

Let's not forget that a high definition broadcast utilizes not only a much higher video quality, but a much higher sound quality as well. High def. sound is much better than DVD or CD quality. This may be an even better reason for DCI to use this.