Start giving to corps relief gas funds now!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, #### me and call me Joan of Arc.

I do believe that you're accusing me of being faux-naïf? 

Hello Joan. BTW, no, not quite faux-naïf. Less "gee-whiz", more populist.

Whoever said, or where have I ever stated, that I even AGREE with regionalizaion?

May I quote you? From "...close to 50,000 in attendance..."

"What I really want is this:

A return to grassroots drumcorps. You're right. Stabilizing at the local level is the only way, especially with rising fuel crisis."

And, did I not state in my previous post that "I know they're trying"? Well, well, drumcat, I did indeed. I never said the sky was falling NOW either, did I Chicken Little? I was pointing to the information listed in the article, which states that in the near future, gas will likely top 4.00/gallon. At the least, one should be thinking ahead, considering the crisis in the gulf region now and instability abroad.

You did state what you quote, I'm sure. You're also stating it as if corps directors are ignorant of this fact. That is pedantive and contemptuous. One only needs travel a quick distance to see the lit signs saying "gas is expensive", yet you make it out to be some novel thing that DCI isn't paying attention to, therefore your idea of regionalizing drum corps is the best course of action.

Also, I think that gas in relation to drumcorps is much more than a "commodity price" to be considered; the activity is based around touring the country in a very large fleet of buses and semis.

Thanks for the history lesson, but I do know all about the oil crisis in the 1970's. Now, tell me what it has to do with what I'm talking about? Surely you wouldn't be creating a sieve out of your own logic by pointing out that in the 1970's, DCI was largely regional:blink:

I'm not trying to be a martyr for a cause, I just said that people should be donating to gas funds...at any rate.

Really? Trucks? Buses?

The history wasn't a lesson, but rather a context in which to make your counterargument, and as for the chink in the armor? No, not really. The 70's is when national touring became the norm.

Yay for donations. If you had just said "hey, gas may be even worse next summer", you wouldn't have heard a word from me.

I understand your concern.  Yesterday in Menomonie, gas was $2.69 a gallon.  By noon today, $3.25.  I know that the hurricane and the oil rigs in the Gulf are causing this upswing, but can we expect oil and gas prices to come down in the coming months?

This situation does merit study by DCI, corps directors and staffs and show promoters.  We're all in this together.

I always find it interesting that an event that causes a disturbance in the production of oil produces an overnight, extreme, and severe price increase. But when that so-called "severe" disturbance has been fixed, gas prices SLOWLY come down, and never as low as they used to be. A few years ago, there was a strange rash of refinery fires in California, with gas prices climbing higher each time. Over the course of several months, the prices never really came down. Funny isn't it? Wanna see where all of that money goes? Here are some pictures of a HOUSE owned by the family of Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, the former president of the United Arab Emirates and ruler of Abu-Dhabi--- he's very "in" with OPEC and the petroleum industry.

gasprice1.jpg

gasprice3.jpg

gasprice4.jpg

gasprice5.jpg

gasprice13.jpg

Maybe we can kindly ask him for a little help...? Seems like he may have some extra cash lying around.

Sorry for the rant, back on topic... I agree that if corps aren't sure of the expenses that gas prices will incur upon their programs, it may be a good idea to stay regionalized for at least the first few weeks of tour. Smart planning ahead of time will go a long way towards preserving our activity. This is especially true if DCI is in fact heading to California in 2007, I'm sure that will cost a lot for the corps out East that aren't used to traveling like the West Coast corps ^0^

Remember all, when gas prices rise the price of just about everything else rises, too, as it takes gas to get the food, clothes, etc. to market....how 'bout a little help for the participants in THIS weekend's festivities??? DCI has about 9 months to prepare for what DCA performers, fans, etc. are facing NOW!

Gas Stations are closing here in Clover... all of them. Schools will be closing to.

My family is having trouble funding gas for ourselves, with the scarcity of gas around here. we have to drive 20 minutes to get to a gas station, and wait an hour through the line to get 3/4 of a tank..

I really hope this passes soon. this is no fun at all, even if I am going to get out of school.

~>conner

Gas Stations are closing here in Clover... all of them. Schools will be closing to.

My family is having trouble funding gas for ourselves, with the scarcity of gas around here. we have to drive 20 minutes to get to a gas station, and wait an hour through the line to get 3/4 of a tank..

I really hope this passes soon. this is no fun at all, even if I am going to get out of school.

~>conner

Heh, even though I wasn't old enough to remember it, looks like it's the gas crisis of the 70's redux. <**>

Around here, gas shot up from 2.59 to 2.99 today...

it went from 2.31 to 2.93 in a matter of 3 hours.

I was going to band (yes band) practice at 6... gas was 2.31. Coming home at 9:30, I saw the prices at 2.93. I blown away.

~>conner