what happens...

I warned people before the last election that this would happen.  The Pres and VP have nearly $100 million invested in oil and they want to drill in the Arctic.  You think prices are going to go down.  Not a chance.  Drum corps better start rearranging their budgets.

Looks like someone is wearing their Tin-Foil hat today.

The election had nothing to do with oil, I'm sorry.

In theory we're paying less than we should, when you calculate inflation in regards to the gas prices of years past.

But on to the "THE TOPIC" ...

Individual Corps in general need to find other ways of fundraising, for bingo isn't going to bring in the $ forever, and not every kid can fork over $1800 like it's nothing.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like someone is wearing their Tin-Foil hat today.

The election had nothing to do with oil, I'm sorry.

In theory we're paying less than we should, when you calculate inflation in regards to the gas prices of years past.

But on to the "THE TOPIC"  ...

Individual Corps in general need to find other ways of fundraising, for bingo isn't going to bring in the $ forever, and not every kid can fork over $1800 like it's nothing.

Well, if that's what you want to call it, I was wearing the tin-foil hat in 2003 when it was clear to me that the Dems could not get any decent candidate to challange Bush just as was the problem with Gore. It isn't that people really like Bush, they really don't like the Dems candidates and/or campain strategies. But such price spikes without drop backs as seen over the past couple of years and the Bush administration telling us how wonderful our economy is, not even mentioning oil issues shows me they aren't all that concerned. If these gas prices stay high, inflation will take off because virtually everything is dependant on oil for shipping. Boom, there goes the economy and we hit another recession if not depression while the oil gods, Bush-Cheney included, reap huge profits.

Just as the story is with amps in drum corps...follow the money. Before the election Bush had $35 million in oil, Cheney had $50 million. That's $85 million in oil by the two most powerful men in the world. I wonder what that is today.

Okay, let's not veer off into too much socio-economic and political noodling...we have DCP-C for that. :P

To get us back on topic...how much do you think this will impact budgeting for the next fiscal year for many of our favorite corps?

Enough to raise dues? Enough to cut back shows?

Additionally, although it's short notice, maybe sometime in the coming months a few units in the area could do a benefit show...after all, every little bit helps. :)

Edited by bawker

Just as an aside from scanning the news, though:

This image is from a station in Stockbridge, GA...and yes, that's 6 dollars a gallon. People who do this kind of scamming really should be thrown in jail.

thumb.gagb10409010035.katrina_oil_gagb104.jpg

If you're in that area, report them for price gouging. The southeastern US is going to probably see a lot of this in the next few days, as most of our fuel comes from pipelines in LA and AL.

It's sad that only $3.00/gallon is what it takes to "hit us over the head"

The US has the lowest gas prices in the civilized world.

One of my students just got back from South Africa where gas runs (after you do the currency exchange) roughly $8.00 a gallon, and its been well over $1.50 a liter (thats roughly $6.00/gallon) in europe for a while.

We have no idea how good we have it.

Just as an aside from scanning the news, though:

This image is from a station in Stockbridge, GA...and yes, that's 6 dollars a gallon. People who do this kind of scamming really should be thrown in jail.

thumb.gagb10409010035.katrina_oil_gagb104.jpg

If you're in that area, report them for price gouging. The southeastern US is going to probably see a lot of this in the next few days, as most of our fuel comes from pipelines in LA and AL.

not sure where the stockbridge GA photo came from, but I live in marietta which is about 30 min from stockbridge and gas here is barely $3.00 for premium

not sure where the stockbridge GA photo came from, but I live in marietta which is about 30 min from stockbridge and gas here is barely $3.00 for premium

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/0...gagb10409010035

Here's the link to the Yahoo image and blurb...I figured that prices weren't that high for real (thankfully). :)

What happens if and when the world finnaly runs out of gas for DCI? What will happen?

I'm scared for my future in Drum Corps, because of Gas. Your fees are going up, Gas is running low... this could be bad.

~>conner

Perhaps drum corps would return to a regional format and cut the tours shorter. That's one possibility.

Garry