Capital Regiment staff changes

DCI.org has a story about Cap Reg adding Ralph Hardimon and Gordon Henderson

to their staff for the 2006 season. These two did GREAT things for SCV.

From reading the story it appears Hardiman will be taking over the percussion

program. That was certainly the strength of Cap Reg the past 2 years. Anyone

know where Kevin Murphy is going? I thought it did a great job for these guys.

The article said Gordon Henderson would be taking over as the visual design

caption. I thought he was more a brass caption guy, but I guess he'd done

both quite well.

With Jay Bocook returning as brass arranger and the addition of these two

legends, it appears Cap Reg is determined to put last year's problems behind

them and move forward.

I'm not going to start the hype this early, but I think this is big news!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be surprised if Ralph actually did the drum line like he used to. i know after a while at Blue Knights he moved up the chain into more program coordination and someone else took over the percussion arranging and day to day stuff.

I haven't read this announcement so maybe Ralph will be doing the percussion stuff, but it would be a shame to just tell Murph bye after the work he's put in to grow that percussion program.

From reading the announcement, it looks like some incredibly good additions for Cap Reg! :)

caption.  I thought he was more a brass caption guy, but I guess he'd done

both quite well.

Here's Gordon's complete bio from the DCI article I bolded where it mentions visual stuff. I didn't know he was a visual designer. And I had totally forgotten he'd been visual coordinator for SCV in 87 and 88. Kinda kewl!:

Gordon Henderson is the associate director of bands and department of music vice chair at UCLA.

Henderson directs the 250-member Bruin Marching Band, and the varsity band. Under Henderson's direction, the Bruin Marching Band has appeared at five Rose Bowls, two Cotton Bowls, two Sun Bowls, the Las Vegas Bowl, the Aloha Bowl, the Freedom Bowl, the Silicon Valley Bowl and the Fiesta Bowl. In 1993, the UCLA Bruin Marching Band received the prestigious Sudler Trophy, presented each year by the John Philip Sousa Foundation, to recognize excellence and innovation.

From 1989 to 1995, Henderson directed UCLA’s jazz ensemble I, performing with numerous guest artists, including Roy Hargrove, Bob Mintzer, Kenny Burrell, Conte Candoli, Matt Catingub, Bill Watrous, Steve Houghton, Snooky Young, Gerald Wilson and Paquito D'Rivera. Under his direction, both the jazz ensemble I and the jazz combo won their respective divisions at the 1995 Reno International Jazz Festival.

Henderson has served as head horn instructor or brass arranger for three Drum Corps International Champions: The Santa Clara Vanguard in

1989 and 1999, and the 1992 Cavaliers.

He also served as visual coordinator for the Santa Clara Vanguard in 1987 and 1988. In 2003 and 2004, he was a member of the brass staff for the Cadets, and since 1990, he has been the Arranger for the Tenrikyo Aimachi Marching Band in Nagoya, Japan, the four-time All-Japan National Champions.

Henderson was an assistant director and drill designer for the 736-member Olympic All-American College Marching Band that performed at the Opening Ceremonies of the 1984 Los Angeles Summer Olympics.

He has composed and/or arranged band music for several major motion pictures, including “In the Line of Fire,” “Little Nikita,” “Fatal Instinct,” “Legends of the Fall,” “Don't Say A Word,” “First Daughter” and “Road Trip.”

Henderson is active as an arranger, guest conductor, adjudicator, drill designer and clinician throughout the U.S., Canada, Japan, Taiwan and Thailand.

I haven't read this announcement so maybe Ralph will be doing the percussion stuff, but it would be a shame to just tell Murph bye after the work he's put in to grow that percussion program.

Who is to say that he didn't leave under his own free will? I know nothing about the Capital Regiment organization but he may have had his own personal issues/reasons for leaving.

DCI.org has a story about Cap Reg adding Ralph Hardimon and Gordon Henderson

to their staff for the 2006 season.  These two did GREAT things for SCV. 

From reading the story it appears Hardiman will be taking over the percussion

program.  That was certainly the strength of Cap Reg the past 2 years.  Anyone

know where Kevin Murphy is going?  I thought it did a great job for these guys.

caption.  I thought he was more a brass caption guy, but I guess he'd done

both quite well.

With Jay Bocook returning as brass arranger and the addition of these two

legends, it appears Cap Reg is determined to put last year's problems behind

them and move forward.

I'm not going to start the hype this early, but I think this is big news!

Breaks my heart that these two extremely talented and dedicated individuals are not with SCV. Capital Regiment is very lucky to have them.