Capital Regiment staff changes

With all the time that Kevin Murphy has put in with that corps, I can't see him just being let go. I'd expect to see him at least offered some kind of administrative role within the corps.

he left of his own free will, for reasons, after speaking to him this weekend are his and his own. however the rumors swirling that he is abusive and got into fights w/management are totally false.

Murph didn't want to leave. he feels bad leaving his kids, but he had to go. The shame is now, the rumors being spread about him are toitally false and may hurt him getting gigs elsewhere.

and i heard the rumors before I saw kevin. needless to say he's hurt people he gave a lot of his life to would say blatant lies.

seems to me, this ties into the guard staff leaving issues.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a product of Kevin Murphy (among others like Kate Tice) I can say that Murph is a great instructor who did amazing things building a strong drum program with Capital. I am very excited about Ralph Hardiman, but I am very sad to see Murph go. I think speak for the most if not all CR alumni when I say that he did great things there and we wouldn't be where we are now without him.

I'll agree whole-heartedly with that statement Andrew.

As a product of Kevin Murphy (among others like Kate Tice) I can say that Murph is a great instructor who did amazing things building a strong drum program with Capital. I am very excited about Ralph Hardiman, but I am very sad to see Murph go. I think speak for the most if not all CR alumni when I say that he did great things there and we wouldn't be where we are now without him.

I first remember seeing Cap Reg in 01. At that time, I said "if they fix that drumline.... that's a semis corps"

02 they hired Murph

that year they were a semis corps

Great to see Cap Reg making some improvements. I loved hearing Kevin and Kate's work especially this year, hopefully these changes will keep Cap Reg on their upward trend among the ranks. Also great to see Bocook back at brass arranging as well as their color guard staff who came midseason also staying aboard. Hopefully stability will keep Capital Regiment strong and continue their improvement.

DCI.org has a story about Cap Reg adding Ralph Hardimon and Gordon Henderson

to their staff for the 2006 season.  These two did GREAT things for SCV. 

<snip>

And Matt Haines (2003 Cadets ageout DM) has been announced as Cap Reg Visual Caption Head!?!?!? :ph34r: I know he's good friends with Gordon - but WTF??? I wish Matt all the best with Cap Reg, I'm just sayin'....... :huh:

And Matt Haines (2003 Cadets ageout DM) has been announced as Cap Reg Visual Caption Head!?!?!?  :ph34r:  I know he's good friends with Gordon - but WTF???  I wish Matt all the best with Cap Reg, I'm just sayin'.......  :huh:

I don't see the conflict. Gordon was announced as the leader of Visual Design. That role is usually, or at least often, separate from the caption head role.

I don't see the conflict.  Gordon was announced as the leader of Visual Design.  That role is usually, or at least often, separate from the caption head role.

I didn't intend to imply there was a "conflict." I was, more than anything else, wondering what qualifications Cap Reg saw in a recent ageout that made him the top candidate for the Visual Caption Head slot of a rising DCI semi-finalist corps. The bottom line is that I sincerely hope Matt hasn't jumped in over his head this early in his career. Matt's a great kid and at the end of the day, I wish him and Cap Reg nothing but the best!

And Matt Haines (2003 Cadets ageout DM) has been announced as Cap Reg Visual Caption Head!?!?!?  :huh:  I know he's good friends with Gordon - but WTF???  I wish Matt all the best with Cap Reg, I'm just sayin'.......  :wub:

My son has expressed his displeasure to me over my posts concerning Matt Haines' appointment to the Visual Caption Head position at Capital Regiment. He feels that my comments were tasteless and disrespectful to Matt. If that's the way it came off, then I owe everyone - especially Matt - my most sincere apology. The truth is that I hold Matt in the highest regard and never meant to disrespect him.

Allow me to offer an explanation/clarification of my two posts on this subject. First - my "WTF" expression meant to convey surprise - nothing else. I found out about Matt's appointment on Capital Regiment's website, as announced by Wayne Dillon in their forums (in the topic "2006 Staff Announcements").

My mention of Matt being a friend of Gordon was expressing a possible theory of how Matt came to Cap Reg's attention as a possible candidate for the position because Gordon would know of Matt's qualifications and strengths.

My second post began on the premise of explaining that I didn't feel or intend to imply that there was a conflict of any kind with Matt's appoinment. I tried to explain the source of my surprise at the appointment - noting Matt's youth which is a limiting factor to his length of hands-on experience. This not to say that his experience lacks in quality - just that it is short in relative terms. Given his lack of time "swimming with the sharks" I was expressing concern and hope that he wasn't diving in over his head at this early stage of his drum corps staff career.

Again, in closing, I want to be clear that I hold Matt in the highest regard and do not doubt his raw abilities or talent one bit. While I've not heard directly from Matt, I know he reads here from time to time - and I want to offer him my heartfelt apology for any offense or distress caused by my candid (if poorly expressed) comments. I wish Matt and Capital Regiment the very best of luck for even more success in 2006 and beyond. Matt will be in good company as there are several ex-Cadets besides him on staff at Capital Regiment! :)

Chagrined, humbled, and apologetic,

Michael Terry - the elder

Michael Terry, you are a class act. :) No matter how we may disagree on certain issues, you are a class act. :) :huh: