New stadium in Indy

Here's one picture I've seen.

coltsmain.jpg

That's knida cool looking - is the one end actually going to be open like that? if so then the noise issues probably won't be as bad.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure the IUPUI stadium would be good. I believe that the majority of the seats are around the 30 yard line. I don't know this for sure but that's what it looks like when driving by. Plus I don't think it could fit the number of people that go to the Indy show.

They started tearing down existing buildings last week to make way for the new stadium. Article link ISSMA, BOA and DCI were considered in the design for the new stadium with the retractable roof. A few years after the dome was built, one of the elite military bands (maybe even the President's Own) played in the corner of the dome and the director apologized to the audience for the "really lousy" acoustics! :whistle:

Butler University is re-doing the Butler Bowl with new artificial turf, raised playing surface, new seating, etc. It probably wouldn't be big enough for a regional, but it would be a great place to see a DCI show. B)

Here's one picture I've seen.

coltsmain.jpg

Hmmm.... Even with all the doors and panels open, it still looks like there will be acoustical anomolies to deal with. It's still largely a closed-in space, and all the flat perpendicular surfaces and corners could play havoc with sound (slap echoes, etc).

Probably a better situation than the RCA, but don't expect Invesco acoustics.

Mike in OH

That's knida cool looking - is the one end actually going to be open like that?  if so then the noise issues probably won't be as bad.

Yes. Apparently not only is the roof retractable, but the side panels will slide away as well.

Hmmm.... Even with all the doors and panels open, it still looks like there will be acoustical anomolies to deal with.  It's still largely a closed-in space, and all the flat perpendicular surfaces and corners could play havoc with sound (slap echoes, etc).

Keep in mind, it looks flat and perpendicular from the outside. The inside is what's going to matter, and if I remember right, it's largely curved around the field, kind of like any other current NFL stadium. Maybe someone else can find a picture of it (I'm not going to bother, not with dial-up :))

Probably a better situation than the RCA, but don't expect Invesco acoustics.

Probably not as good as an open-air stadium like that, but I'm guessing it will be leaps and bounds better than the RCA Dome, which is not only completely enclosed but also the smallest stadium in the NFL. I'm pumped for the change. :)

Edited by Maedhros

The city of Indy is also bidding HARD for finals in '08 or '09 to go along with the new stadium.

Whoa, DCI Finals? :whistle:

That'd be pretty sweet to hear that the city was taking notice of a loyal activity. I know they've struck all kind of deals to make sure BOA stays here for good, I guess I just never figured Indy would go for DCI finals with a major regional already here.

I know they're pushing hard for a Super Bowl, and will hold the NCAA Final Four seemingly every four years. This stadium is going to be great for the city and it's national recognition. ^OO^

Here's the only shot of the interior that I've seen.

photo03.jpg

I'm not sure what those pictures along the rafters represent.... maybe banners? But if you look closely the upper level is behind those. So the second deck you see is the club level, not the upper deck.

Edited by Machine

Here's the only shot of the interior that I've seen.

photo03.jpg

I'm not sure what those pictures along the rafters represent.... maybe banners?  But if you look closely the upper level is behind those.  So the second deck you see is the club level, not the upper deck.

My understanding is that this facility would serve as the permanent backup for the NCAA's Final Four tournament.