The Eternal Question

The "favorite shows-only one from each year" thread prompted me to throw this out.

OK, I am biased cause I marched 89 Regiment, but these two shows (both awesome) seem to divide the crowds about down the middle.

Just curious as to others opinions on the top two corps in what was an amazing season.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:blink: Phantom 89 :blink: Santa Clara Vanguard 89

Im split.

Hey... Cadets 1989 was great too!

Always liked the 88 SCV a little better.

So... 89 Phantom, by a narrow margin, for me. The baritone solo filled up the entire stadium. :)

Besides, how do you top a comment like "Judges, are you watching!?" right before the earth opens up at the end of the show? :P

Both were excellent.

Both are 2 of my top 10 favorite shows of all time.

But, had Phantom not had that ride cymbal part in the show, I would have picked, them, so I have to go with SCV

Yea, only have to look at the recap to know where the gap came from in the final score

Regiment- GE Brass-1st, GE Perc-2nd, GE Vis-2nd, Perf Brass-1st, Perf Perc-5th, Perf Vis-1st

SCV - GE Brass-2nd, GE Perc-1st, GE Vis-1st, Perf Brass-2nd, Perf Perc-1st, Perf vis-2nd

Lots to be said for consistency LOL that 5th in perf perc killed us dead.

Personally, I personally believe that Phantom's lack of marching during the precussion feature, a dirty percussion feature, and the ride hat cymbal playing during the ballad cost them the title. Yes, PR won visual performance, but they didn't win GE visual. What better time to show off the marching abilities than when not playing? I just find that part of the show void of GE. The exposed ticks in the drum line just killed them. Oh so close, but yet so far.

Both SCV and PR were awesome that year. But let's not also forget perhaps my favorite Cavaliers show. They were right up there too.

Edited by SkyRyder_FMM

Personally, I personally believe that Phantom's lack of marching during the precussion feature, a dirty percussion feature, and the ride hat cymbal playing during the ballad cost them the title.  Yes, PR won visual performance, but they didn't win GE visual.  What better time to show off the marching abilities than when not playing?  I just find that part of the show void of GE.  The exposed ticks in the drum line just killed them.  Oh so close, but yet so far.

Both SCV and PR were awesome that year.  But let's not also forget perhaps my favorite Cavaliers show.  They were right up there too.

alot of people slam the drum solo, but we only lost GE vis by .1

Have to remember alot of the movement work that was incorporated in the drum solo was new at the time, even though its standard now.

There were a lot of great shows that season. I remember one guy saying the Cadets (Les Mis that year) were the best 5th place corps of all time LOL

The "favorite shows-only one from each year" thread prompted me to throw this out.

OK, I am biased cause I marched 89 Regiment, but these two shows (both awesome) seem to divide the crowds about down the middle.

Just curious as to others opinions on the top two corps in what was an amazing season.

I have to say that I have always liked 1989 Phantom Regiment more than 1989 Santa Clara Vanguard. Actually, I listen to the shows more than I watch them (only saw SCV live, and that was in the early season). I don't mind PR's ride cymbal, but I do mind a couple musical flubs in SCV's show finals - specifically, 1) the really bad xylophone phasing in the pit at one point and 2) some pretty bad fracks in a couple of the sop solos. Being in California, I love Vanguard, but my pick for 1989 is definitely Phantom.

Bob Childs

phantom all the way, dvorak would've ###### himself to see how well they performed his pieces. this show was the reason i bought the 89 legacy dvd, the only one i own to this day. i'll be buying more soon, and have grown to love many shows from that year including scv's-but nothing gets me like regiment did that year :)