The Eternal Question

Anyway I always said to myself, what do magic tricks have to do with Phantom of the Opera he was a monster of sorts not a ghost or magician.

I've seen the Broadway production of "Phantom of the Opera" twice in the last 15 years. Both times, the Phantom dissapeared at the end of the musical by sitting in his chair and covering himself with his cloak. When the company/lynch mob comes in during the last chords, they uncover his cloak (which looks like he's still underneath) to find his mask on the chair - and him gone.

I think one of the girls actually lifts the mask up (just like Juliet did) and a very tight follow-spot on the mask is the last thing you see on stage before the final curtain.

That's what I remember about the end of Andrew Lloyd Webbers "Phantom of the Opera" on stage. I haven't seen the movie (I just can't listen to the guy singing the Phantom role). So I don't know how the movie ends.

B)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phantom was cleaner overall. The forms were sharper, the music flawless, and the Maxell factor was extremely high. SCV was the sentimental favorite, and had a great show, but they just weren't as "perfect." There were the horn solo cracks, the dropped tenor mallet (outstanding recovery by Iko noted), and the very ending, which was added that night - it looked like it needed another week to pull off what was intended and top '88's ending. I liked 88's "Music of the Night" much better. Still tingles my scalp.

One other thing I love to this day from '89 SCV is at the end of the percussion feature, on the release before the horn line comes back in. The timbre of that release, between tenors and bass, was incredible. RH chose to match the biggest bass drum to the smallest tenor drum, which gave this unexpectedly deep "pop!" Count on me to notice something like that...

I am not going down the "political" road but, being there, I thought from a performacne execution standpoint, PR won. Both corps had tremendously emotional shows that evening. However, the appropriate spread in PR's brass score over SVC should have been about a point, not a tenth. GE brass should also have been more than a tenth as well. And thus, SCV would have the distinction of a 5th 2nd place in a row.

Rocketman - JMO

ampssuck

• 4 months later...

I didn't march SCV in 89 but some of the guys who did were still around in 91, and the general consensus among them was that Phantom should've won. My roommate Adam said that when Phantom played to them at retreat he wanted to take off his medal and give it to them. Even Murrary said that the drumline sicked in 89...I agree...no offense to any 89 guys out there.

I didn't march SCV in 89 but some of the guys who did were still around in 91, and the general consensus among them was that Phantom should've won. My roommate Adam said that when Phantom played to them at retreat he wanted to take off his medal and give it to them. Even Murrary said that the drumline sicked in 89...I agree...no offense to any 89 guys out there.

When we arced up and played to SCV in retreat that year you could see on their faces they loved it.

Not sure any of them wanted to give up the medal, but it was a fun moment for both corps.

this is where Phantom lost it, at the end where you here"judges are you watching", there are two forms that if memory serves me correct are parallel to each other. well one is straight, and the other has to be the most crooked line I have ever seen. To me, that may have cost them. also, PR was not dirty on the perc feature. this is how you test this theory, unplug either the left or right speaker and it will be sickly clean. trust me scv 90 goes from dirt to superclean. the mics pick up giving them an echo effect.

I didn't march SCV in 89 but some of the guys who did were still around in 91, and the general consensus among them was that Phantom should've won. My roommate Adam said that when Phantom played to them at retreat he wanted to take off his medal and give it to them.

Hmmm... Having not seen Phantom Regiment perform in Finals in 89, that sorta thing just would have never occurred to me. I think I would have needed to have actually seen them and us perform in finals before I could have had an opinion on that. And I didn't have the privilege of watching either corps. (Maybe someday somebody will invent that time machine... ) B)

Prior to DCI, we competed against PR in Ypsilanti on July 28 and at DCI Canada on July 29. And I'm not even sure if we got to watch them from a decent vantage point.

But all in all, I think the comment that your roommate Adam made represents something that I already knew. We had enormous respect for those corps around us. I think being nipped by BD early in the season kept us looking over our shoulders all summer. While I was cruising through Corpsreps.com just now, I was reminded that Garfield (ok... the Cadets) was actually within one point of us during the last few weeks of the summer. And of course being SCV, we knew never to think we were not vulnerable to other corps surging past us under their own momentum. It clearly almost happened with PR. And we DEFINITELY had enormous respect for Phantom Regiment because we knew they were amazing. You couldn't stand in the tunnel or end zone and not feel how they were "rocking the crowd".

Having seen 89 Phantom Regiment live prior to Finals (albeit probably from a questionable vantage point) and on TV, VHS - having listened to them countless times on CD - and now finally on DVD (one of my xmas presents this year), I can say it's still one of my all-time favorite drum corps shows. Beautifully conceived, designed and executed. (Although, I'm not really a big fan of the drill and cape stuff during the drum solo. I'm sure that cost them.) And I would bet money we'll get to watch it on the big screen at the Classic Countdown this year.

I'm very humbled by what I detect as the sentiment that there are some years historically that people don't like either corps of the first and second place corps as much as they liked 89 SCV and Phantom Regiment.

Edited by bradrick

Hmmm... Having not seen Phantom Regiment perform in Finals in 89, that sorta thing just would have never occurred to me. I think I would have needed to have actually seen them and us perform in finals before I could have had an opinion on that. And I didn't have the privilege of watching either corps. (Maybe someday somebody will invent that time machine... ) B)

Prior to DCI, we competed against PR in Ypsilanti on July 28 and at DCI Canada on July 29. And I'm not even sure if we got to watch them from a decent vantage point.

But all in all, I think the comment that your roommate Adam made represents something that I already knew. We had enormous respect for those corps around us. I think being nipped by BD early in the season kept us looking over our shoulders all summer. While I was cruising through Corpsreps.com just now, I was reminded that Garfield (ok... the Cadets) was actually within one point of us during the last few weeks of the summer. And of course being SCV, we knew never to think we were not vulnerable to other corps surging past us under their own momentum. It clearly almost happened with PR. And we DEFINITELY had enormous respect for Phantom Regiment because we knew they were amazing. You couldn't stand in the tunnel or end zone and not feel how they were "rocking the crowd".

Having seen 89 Phantom Regiment live prior to Finals (albeit probably from a questionable vantage point) and on TV, VHS - having listened to them countless times on CD - and now finally on DVD (one of my xmas presents this year), I can say it's still one of my all-time favorite drum corps shows. Beautifully conceived, designed and executed. (Although, I'm not really a big fan of the drill and cape stuff during the drum solo. I'm sure that cost them.) And I would bet money we'll get to watch it on the big screen at the Classic Countdown this year.

I'm very humbled by what I detect as the sentiment that there are some years historically that people don't like either corps of the first and second place corps as much as they liked 89 SCV and Phantom Regiment.

Thanks for the praise and you and I have chatted about this before, but I have to disagree with your view of the drum solo drill and visual work costing us.

We won performance visual by .2 with a 14.9 out of 15, and lost GE visual by only .1 so I can't see how that cost us.

The real bottom line was you guys spanked us in perf perc. the .5 there was the difference.

What scares me is that I was at DCI finals in 1989 and I don't even remember Phantom getting second place.

Wow. Where did those brain cells go?!?

I still think SCV should have won in '88 IMO. I was there for that one too.