The Eternal Question

Phantom IMO. while i didn't see either in person, Phantom IMO was just such an incredible show in all aspects. i preferred the 88 version of SCV as well.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dispite the ride cymbal part of the show, I still think this is one of the best designed and performed shows I have seen. If you want to get picky, you could probably find something you dont like it every show. Although the ride cymbal part seems to be more controversial than some, I still think that elements in Rockford that year were all aligned.

Thanks for the praise and you and I have chatted about this before, but I have to disagree with your view of the drum solo drill and visual work costing us.

We won performance visual by .2 with a 14.9 out of 15, and lost GE visual by only .1 so I can't see how that cost us.

The real bottom line was you guys spanked us in perf perc. the .5 there was the difference.

I wasn't trying to imply that I thought there was anything wrong with your visual execution. I might not have been clear.

What I meant to communicate was that I don't think the drill and probably the cape stuff that was written for you to perform during the drum feature was not up to the same aggressive level as the rest of the show. IMO, the show lagged in energy just slightly at that point. Because the rest of the show seemed like such a "Drum Corps Bullseye", that one section didn't seem to fit in. But the rest of the show was awesome. I'm not meaning that as a reflection on your performance of the show. Sorry if you took it that way.

Heck, I'm not even one of the people who have an issue with the ride cymbal/pop slant during the "Largo". It seemed perfectly suited to you guys. And I thought it really complimented the show and it worked for me anyway.

B) Peace!

Phantom IMO. while i didn't see either in person, Phantom IMO was just such an incredible show in all aspects. i preferred the 88 version of SCV as well.

w/Stp:

Usual disclaimers apply, void in Tennessee and Puerto Rico

I wasn't trying to imply that I thought there was anything wrong with your visual execution. I might not have been clear.

What I meant to communicate was that I don't think the drill and probably the cape stuff that was written for you to perform during the drum feature was not up to the same aggressive level as the rest of the show. IMO, the show lagged in energy just slightly at that point. Because the rest of the show seemed like such a "Drum Corps Bullseye", that one section didn't seem to fit in. But the rest of the show was awesome. I'm not meaning that as a reflection on your performance of the show. Sorry if you took it that way.

Heck, I'm not even one of the people who have an issue with the ride cymbal/pop slant during the "Largo". It seemed perfectly suited to you guys. And I thought it really complimented the show and it worked for me anyway.

B) Peace!

I didn't take it that way. no biggee. Just saying that part didn't cost us anything scorewise.

The cape work and "dance" stuff we did in the drum solo was a new thing for us and I have to admit it was nice to get a break after running around like crazy LOL

On a personal note, I was the extreme back left corner of the box in the drum solo and when it rotated at the end I end up on the extreme front right. Talk about a haul LOL

I am also with those who thought SCV should have won in 88

Both shows were great but when you get down to there is one factor that comes into play and which is the reason for SCV being the better corps.

When you look at the recap from that night SCV and PR were switching off being first or second in every caption except one. The exception was the percussion performance score. SCV won percussion with a 14.9 and PR was 5th in percussion with a 14.3. That was the difference, get rid of the percussion performance number and Phantom would have won.

w/Stp:

Usual disclaimers apply, void in Tennessee and Puerto Rico

never been to either ~ so you're still good by me

B)

Both shows were great but when you get down to there is one factor that comes into play and which is the reason for SCV being the better corps.

When you look at the recap from that night SCV and PR were switching off being first or second in every caption except one. The exception was the percussion performance score. SCV won percussion with a 14.9 and PR was 5th in percussion with a 14.3. That was the difference, get rid of the percussion performance number and Phantom would have won.

the sad thing about that was we were a close second(might have been third) the two shows that week. if we had had our perc perf score from semis (when we blew chunks) we would have won. I am not saying we got dumped by the judge, but the 6 judge system gave all the judges too much influence. I personally liked the 9 judges system with the perf judges on field and ensemble and ge judges in the box

• 1 year later...

I'm not a judge, and no one else on here is. Even if you were a judge, you wouldn't be qualified to judge every caption. They were two great shows (my favs from 1989). I don't think SCV's win had anything to do with the fact they placed 4th the four previous years. That's absurd. Why would the judging community take a title away from one corps just because another one has been 2nd 4 years in a row? They wouldn't.

Visually, I liked '88 Vanguard better than '89, but musically '89 was definitely better (especially the hornline). I loved Phantom's show too. Not thrilled with the ballad, but loved the opener. Closer was cool too. Listen to both shows a lot. I have faith the judges got it right.

I also thought the "Judges, are you watching" comment as classless.

Edited by gellio

the sad thing about that was we were a close second(might have been third) the two shows that week. if we had had our perc perf score from semis (when we blew chunks) we would have won. I am not saying we got dumped by the judge, but the 6 judge system gave all the judges too much influence. I personally liked the 9 judges system with the perf judges on field and ensemble and ge judges in the box

Yeah, you guys got dumped by the field drum guy. It cost you the show.

I loved both corps that year, but Vanguard's "Phantom" show and corps was much better in '88. I wouldn't have had a problem if Regiment won that show ... They were the better corps (IMO.)