The Eternal Question

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, why do you say this at every opportunity? Of course you do. I mean you marched Phantom for God's sake!

I say it at every oppurtunity because I think SCV should have won in 88 LOL

And why does my marching Regiment mean I should automatically think SCV should have won in 88?

I think they should have won because they had a better, more complete show.

I loved Malaguena as much as anyone, but I would bet that the vast majority of fans who love Madison 88 couldn't name your opener without looking it up.

It's not personal, just my opinion.

I also think we should have won in 89 (that DOES have something to do with the fact I marched Regiment) but I also think Cadets sgould have won 92, Star should have won 93, so whats the big deal?

Hands down PR. That show was freaking amazing. The last 45 seconds of their show was spine tingling. It's my most listened to drum corps show. I aslo liked the drum solo. It was more visually appealing than SCV which I'll give more credit for keeping me entertained.

One could make a great argument that in '89, from twelth to first place, was one of the best overall championships ever.

Edited by WSbassdrum9091

alot of people slam the drum solo, but we only lost GE vis by .1

Have to remember alot of the movement work that was incorporated in the drum solo was new at the time, even though its standard now.

There were a lot of great shows that season. I remember one guy saying the Cadets (Les Mis that year) were the best 5th place corps of all time LOL

Which I never understood, so what? a frickin cymbal ride..."whatever"... :rolleyes: :P That Phantom 89 show happens to be one of our favorites of all times (My husband and I). We actually even played it while I was pregnant for our son, and sing the Largo section to our son as a lullaby. He recognizes it to this DAY when we play that show. (It's true).

I always felt Phantom should've won that year, and SCV should've won 88. To me even though SCV's drill was incredible in 89, I love the first SCV Phantom of the Oprea show with the raw emotion. I'm not trying to take anything away from SCV.

Oh heck if maybe there was a year for a tie, maybe THAT should've been the year for one. :)

For me 1989 was one of the greatest years of drum corps all the way around. We also LOVE Star's show that year.

Edited by Lancerlady

Oh heck if maybe there was a year for a tie, maybe THAT should've been the year for one. :)

w/Stp:

Not calling you stupid--I've just always wanted to use that emoticon and I've said that about the tie situation forever.

And Madison won in '88 b/c of their closer, not their opener.

Never have liked the jazzed-up, or whatever it's called, Largo. Hello--LARGO! Yes, I know the definition. It's a beautiful piece just like it is. '91 was a good use of jazz-classical--LOVED the Doc Severinson stuff. Sorry that Ray grew a wart finals week.

The movie was pretty terrible--ALW should not have been involved--should have passed it off to a MOVIE Director--Hollywood and Broadway are two different things. But it did end with Meg holding the Phantom's mask. Ask me about my idea for a sequel/spoof to POTO some time! May be the stuff for a VK show.

And in closing, Ducky, just imagine this scenario: '89 Phantom Regiment with 2006 Paul Rennick! Me thinks nobody would be talking about 99.15 OR 98.8!

Phantom. (that's a period)

Edited by silvertrombone

• 2 weeks later...
Never have liked the jazzed-up, or whatever it's called, Largo. Hello--LARGO! Yes, I know the definition. It's a beautiful piece just like it is.

(snippety doo dah)

Do you know why it was done that way? Truely inspired arranging by Jim Wren, IMO.

When Dvořák came to the US (from 1892 to 1895, Dvořák was the director of the National Conservatory of Music in New York City), he was inspired by the sights and sounds he experienced during his tenure here.

The Largo was largely inspired by former slave songs and spirituals, hence the "jazz" chords, rhythms, and cymbal ride in Regiment's interpretation. Jim Wren took it to another level.

Garry in Vegas

PS Ducky? This thread was revived because it's one of the great debates of modern drum corps!

Edited by CrunchyTenor

Who dredged up this long dormant topic anyway? this thread has been dead forever LOL

It's always been a fun topic. I remember being so mad when Regiment got second that I wasn't really able to enjoy Vanguard's show for a while. By the time CD's came out that fall, I had forgiven the judges. I loved both shows equally, but for different reasons. Now, almost 18 years later, I still love both shows. They're both still in my top shows of all time. But, 1989 Phantom Regiment was the reason I eventually marched drum corps. That group of people epitomized every that drum corps was all about to me. So, I'm just happy that I got to see, hear, and feel, what I believe to be probably the best year of corps ever.

Matt

I've always hated the cynbal ride, however I still count that hornline as one of the all time greats. SCV produced one of the most emotional performances ever. Either could have won, either would have been deserving.

I'm not sure what 1988 has to do with it but if you ask me (and you did'nt) 88 was all about the Devs!

Two of my favorite corps - year in and year out. But my thoughts for '89 are:

I thought Phantom deserved first at both semi's and finals. I will admit to being hornline-biased, and that Phantom hornline did it for me! The end of the opener...was like they were staking their claim to the field and the title. They were stoked! The end of the ballad with the soprano and baritone playing backfield (especially that baritone!) was great, and the hornline support of that moment was dead on. I enjoyed the writing of the drum break. The light articulation of the low brass in the piece following the drum break "spoke". And then from the soprano re-entry in the closer all the way through the end - that is pure drum corps to me!!!