Bushwackers Penalty

Listen up everyone...

Please stop arguing about this. I was SO pumped last night after having the best show of my season, breathing out of control, sweat in my eyes, and tears running down my cheeks.

boom boom boom boom, and we turn to the left and march off the field. So I'm screaming in joy, marching off, and I notice the front of the hornline cross the goal line and start heading LEFT. I yelled ONCE, DON'T TROOP!!! But it was to no avail, or they didn't hear me, and kept going. I got REALLY scared there, because I, being a 12 year DCA veteran, KNEW we were going to get a penalty. So we trooped the stands. COMPLETE MISTAKE. The 2 hornline members that led us off the field were first year members, and yes, maybe they weren't told which way to go at finals....they're so used to trooping the stands at regular season shows, that they just went right instead of left. It's not their fault - the adrenaline was going, and a wrong turn was made.

In no WAY would we dishonor the Bucs like that.

The scores were SO close between 2nd thru 5th places at Prelims - why would we jeapordize our actual 2nd place finish (performance wise) on PURPOSE??? All season we've been working our butts off to make this show the best we could make it, for ourselves, the fans, and the judges. We're trying to win BACK our fans, not drive them away.

SHAME on ANY of you that think otherwise. Please let's just drop this subject. I'm sitting here in TEARS over this CRAP. We deserved 2nd place because we beat the Empire Statesmen on the field. We made an error coming off the field and got a PENALTY, dropping us to 3rd.

:(

Please don't flame this. This is MY opinion and does not represent the entire Bushwacker organization.

Edited by RumpsPlayer2000

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess all I was really trying to say by explaining was that there was no conspiracy or intent to harm or psyche out the Buccanneers.

Ron is correct though. Ultimately, it is the staff's fault for letting them go the wrong way. I was right there on the front sideline too. If I even know it was a rule that could warrant a penalty I would have stopped them and told them to go the other way.

The idea that our "strategy" was to go out and do something that we knew would cost us points and almost certainly cost us a placement knowing how tight the scores would be is simply absurd.

SHAME on ANY of you that think otherwise.  Please let's just drop this subject.  I'm sitting here in TEARS over this CRAP.  We deserved 2nd place because we beat the Empire Statesmen on the field.  We made an error coming off the field and got a PENALTY, dropping us to 3rd.

Chris, and the rest of Bush...

No one in the Buccaneers thought for a second that you guys would ever intentionally do anything to cause any disrespect to our corps. We figured there was some sort of mistake made, especially considering there was no trooping in prelims either.

If nothing else, it made for one of those intense stare-down moments, as we knew you'd just put on one #### of a performance, and we knew we were about to do the same.

We have several Bush Alumni on our staff, and they joked that it was the "Ghosts of Bushwackers Past" that caused all the ruckus...

Yup, the scores were incredibly tight, 2nd through SIXTH (MBI), both in prelims and finals.

I made a mistake in finals that cost our corps a point and one placement back in the early '90s, so I know how it can happen. And I wasn't 16 or 17!

Congratulations, Bush, on a spectacular season!

I knew I shouldn't have used capital letters!

I'm glad the correct story got out -- Thanks, DCP -- because so many of us were quick to believe the scuttlebut. I'm sure sorry that I did.

Once again, congrats!

Listen up everyone...

In no WAY would we dishonor the Bucs like that. 

Chris thank you (and others) for letting us know. But in all seriousness can I ask about something else I noticed during retreat. Sounds minor but could also look like disrespect from Bush towards the Bucs. As the Buccs won each caption, the DMs from the other corps applauded. Bushs DMs did what I call the "Russian Robot" clap. That is they had their arms almost straight, clapped about 6 or 8 times in unison and then stopped dead. Looked like a big version of a "golf clap". The more it was done, the more I couldn't tell if it was part of the Russian motif or <can't think of a flameless way to put it>. This is the first DCA show I made all year so I have no idea what has been doen this year.

Asking so hopefully someone can clear this up for me and anyone else who noticed.

Our drum majors and color guard (just recently) do that at every show, regardless of who wins what,and it's been a tradition for years. It's been broken down to 9 claps - our DM's are pretty hard core when it comes to that stuff. They're just ultra serious, and we think it looks pretty cool. That's all.

Edited by RumpsPlayer2000

Chris thank you (and others) for letting us know. But in all seriousness can I ask about something else I noticed during retreat. Sounds minor but could also look like disrespect from Bush towards the Bucs. As the Buccs won each caption, the DMs from the other corps applauded. Bushs DMs did what I call the "Russian Robot" clap. That is they had their arms almost straight, clapped about 6 or 8 times in unison and then stopped dead. Looked like a big version of a "golf clap". The more it was done, the more I couldn't tell if it was part of the Russian motif or <can't think of a flameless way to put it>. This is the first DCA show I made all year so I have no idea what has been doen this year.

Asking so hopefully someone can clear this up for me and anyone else who noticed.

Just reading Chris Killian' Post's here (on DCP) and even the years when I was a Fan in the stands He was a Class DM. SO if anything Russian Motif. Safe to say No Disrepect meant.

Edited by Bond624

Well, the 2 people leading the block off the field were 16 and 17 years old repsectively (i'm pretty sure on those ages anyway). They just had the show of their lives and were incredibly excited. They simply didn't know the rule and took a 50/50 chance and picked wrong. They said they heard someone say "turn right." If you don't think these kids feel bad enough already by getting us a penalty that cost us a placement without a bunch of people getting on here and chastizing them...

they seemed to get off the field without a hitch during prelims......nice show though